About how thick will a scratch coat of thinset over bricks end up being

I'm going to tile over 3 sided brick fireplace all the way to the ceiling. To do this I have to build a frame and mount backer board from about four feet up. I plan on mounting some expanded metal over the brick and then cover with a layer of thinset. About how much thickness can I expect this metal+thinset to add to the brick. Approximately. I'll need to know this so I can build the frame and have the backer board end up flush to thinsetted over brick.
pic of what I've got now. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33559760@N08/4654087151/in/photostream /
Thanks, Craig
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5156 (20100530) __________
http://www.eset.com

I think if you do a little research on the subject you will find that the wire should be scratch coated with mortar before you level it with a skim coat of the thinset. The mesh is sold at Lowes and HomeDepot on either the drywall or concrete aisle depending on the store. The mesh is not needed over a sound, prepared brick or block surface. A scratch coat and finish coat is enough.
The entire process and the thickness is dependant of your skill level with the trowel. I would make up a test board, measured without the mesh, with the mesh and after the final application to get an estimation.
Considering the skill level involved in what you want to do, you may find that covering the bricks with the hardieboard so that you have a complete flat surface is a better option. That way you would build your frame, add drywall to flush to the brick, then cap the entire mess with hardieboard and set your tile.
Real plaster or real stucco work does take a good bit of learned skill. Learning on something you will look at every day for some time is not always the smart action. -:)
--
Colbyt

Why scratch coat it at all, just Tapcon the Durock to the brick, scratch coat seems like a wasted step and a headache.