About 3 in one oil??

Page 2 of 2

I have used it for years on small electric motors and other smallish things that need lubrication. It's always worked fine for me. Because I got several cans in a box of goodies at an auction, what I have is old. I dont know if the new stuff is as good. Recently I had an electric heater with a blower fan that was getting real noisy. A few drops on the bearings and it's been running quiet ever since. It runs almost continually and has been at least 2 months since I lubed it.
On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 16:18:19 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

What does the name stand for?
3-IN-ONE was developed in 1894 for use on bicycles. The inventor, George Cole, was hoping to create a product that would lubricate, clean and prevent rust. Those three functions in one product led to the name.

I was thinking to ask a bait shop or place that sells a wide assortment of rods. Even better is places that repair fishing rods if possible.

Yes.
I have little experience with fishing reels. But for electric motors, zoom spout turbine oil is the way to go. Lasts a long time, and doesn't dry up. For electric motors, 3 in 1 gums up promptly.
This is something I am doing at home, besides you guys have a lot of great info that is hard to find elsewhere.
Spring is almost here, and that means fishing - at least for me. I have six spinning reels that I am cleaning and lubing. I use to use white silicon grease, but it tends to harden up a bit. I was wondering if a light oil would maybe do the job better.
The only light oil I know is the 3 in one stuff, but I don't know how it holds up over a year or so. Does it tend to gum up or does it stay thin?
I try to clean and lube my reels once a year when I put on new line.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Bob-tx
oil??:

That will work well.

Look up fishing reel oil. It's all silicone oil, or white lithium for the main bearing. Probably don't want petro oil getting on synthetic line. I kept a tube of Abu Garcia oil in my tackle box for years. It came with my Ambassadeur 6000 when I bought it about 15 years ago. Used it one time a year later and tossed it because it leaked. It's good to keep reels maintained, but I haven't. I've got four or five I use once a year in salt water, and I don't even rinse them. Including the 6000. They all work fine after at least 10 years of such treatment. Think I'm looking for an excuse to buy new ones. And they're all nothing special. Light to medium duty. They must use ruby bearings. I have had a couple reels where the bearings went bad, but they were real cheapos, like 5 bucks.
My choices are Hoppes' gun oil, or Rem oil for firearms. 3 in 1 seems to gum up. You can use WD-40 <gasp> to loosen things up/clean, but does NOT provide any long-term lubrication, of course.
Also, check out formula for "Ed's Red," used by gun enthusiasts for cleaning and lubrication.
/paul W3FIS