AAA auto club

Page 1 of 4
Has anyone in west Texas had any luck with AAA auto club?
I'm getting to the age where I'm considering joining in case something happens when I'm away from home.
Twenty years ago I was a member for several years until I was stranded in a blizzard and needed to be towed out. They acted like they couldn't care less. I finally hung up and managed to get pulled out by a good Samaritan, after that I canceled my account.
Before I try again I thought I'd ask.

Don't know west texas, or AAA.

What I've been doing is carrying the business card of a towing company that works around here. Since I would normally want to be towed back here, I think they'll go even if I'm pretty far away.
If I wanted to be cautious, I'd print a list of the towing companies around here, fold it up and put it in the glove box, in case some don't answer the phone. The one I carry answers 24hours I think.
Oh, yeah, my GEICO car insurance included part of the towing cost, so one Sunday night after I'd broken down 25 miles from home, I called GEICO. They put me on hold while they talked to their towing company in that area, and I should have insisted on a 3-way call, at least when they weren't saying embarrassing things. But at least I got the name of the company. They woudn't have told me if I hadn't asked.
Before I left the car I had hid the key somewhere, and I told the woman on the phone, but Monday afternoon comes, I haven't gone to work, and the gas station where I wanted it towed never called, so I called them and they said the car never showed up, so I called the towing company and he said they went out to my car, found the car, but didn't find the key, so they dropped the matter. Why didn't you call GEICO and have them call me? Oh, I dunno. Anyhow, I told him again where the key was, and they towed the car on Tuesday and didn't ask for any money from the gas station, so I guess they settled for what GEICO gave them and didn't get the rest they would have been entitled to for 25 miles. Which is fair, IMO.
Until I was 64, I'd only been towed 3 times. Plus two or 3 times I broke down and repaired the car where it was. Four times I ran out of gas but coasted into the gas station. Four other times I ran out of gas and went and got some.
Lately it's been worse. Three tows in the last 4 years , in two cases to my house. In one of those cases, I had to tow it again, to a reliable guy who had to have a consultant find the elecrical short. An actual short, in the engine compartment, hard to see. The other case, towed to my house after an accident. Replaced lower right front control arm, ball joint, right half axle. Biggest repair I ever did on a car. Good thing too, because soon I'll be too old.
Micky wrote:

My family is AMA member. Also our cars are covered by road side assistance being fairly new cars. I only needed help while I was towing my camping trailer with 1 ton van. In the middle of no where, steady bearing went out. Whole family spent over night at a road side turn out.

Guys like you are the reason auto clubs but limits on the number of service calls they will do for free.
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 16:23:43 -0800, "taxed and spent"

Me? Why me? I've never belonged to an auto club and the only time I called the insurance company, they did a bad job.
(BTW, I assumed that their not billing me for the extra miles was a "bribe" or a payment so I wouldn't complain to GEICO about what a bad job they did. And I didn't complain.)
Other times I forgot about: Lent the car to someone. He ran a stop sign in a school zone, hit broadside. Calls me and starts off "Where should I have it towed?" I ran a mile to get there, tow truck already there, they towed it to their gas station where I got them to pull the fender away from the tire, and then the car pulled leff but it ran.
Times that I could have called a tow truck: Flat tire in the rain when I had to be at a political meeting for a candidate I was working for, and I didn't think I should look like a water-logged dog, so I drove 2 blocks on the flat to a gas station, that changed the tire for me. My tire was ruined.
Flat tire. Couldn't get the lug nuts off, tightened too hard by air wrench, so drove three blocks to gas station. (no phone nearby anyhow) My tire was ruined.

Around five years ago when I had to change a tire, it took me 90 minutes. By the time I was done, I thought I would have to call 911. My back was hurting so bad I had to lay down for 5 days to get over it. It's gotten worse since then. It was on a dirt road, and I had to use two jacks and a big rock to get it high enough to change the tire. The car has new tires all around, but it's getting old and I don't want to buy a new car. I hope this one will last till I'm done. The battery went out yesterday, while I was home, fortunately. Also, a special clamp on the battery broke. I was able to find and modify a clamp from another battery. If I hadn't been home at the time, it could've been more of a problem. I'm kind of wary of the new cars with all the fancy computer gadgets and what not.
rumpole wrote:

Yup, cars are more electronics than mechanics, LOL! I took a delivery of new car this week. Had to drive it home on an icy road. Manual for infotainment system was thicker than basic owner's manual. I could have run flat tires as an option too but I did not. I just passed my 75th Bday last month. A young senior, LOL!
On 11/21/2015 1:06 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Got a new car a couple of months ago. Yes, a stack of manuals that took me a week to get through Pleasure to drive with all the goodies though. Adaptive cruise control is really nifty.

Can you decide how far behind the next car you are?
I normally follow 2 or 3 times what the "rules" say, one car length for each 10 mph. Will it do that?
On 11/21/2015 1:36 PM, Micky wrote:

The rule now is the "three second rule".
That is the time it takes for your car to reach the point where the car ahead has just passed.
Here in Delaware the law calls for 4 seconds.
Never heard anyone getting arrested for breaking it.
A while back and under cover Elsmere cop van was tailgating my wife so she sped up to increase the distance and cop turned on siren, pulled it over and ticketed her for speeding.
She was too sheepish to tell me as she had a previous speeding ticket elswhere.
Wish I had known as I'd have fought it.
I drive the speed limit on our back roads. If you want me to speed up, you'll have to push me.

Thats too hard to figure. I like the old rule better....

I had a cop tailgating me on a country gravel road, late at night, with no other traffic around. I pulled over on the shoulder. Instead of passing me, he turned on his red and blue lights and walked up to my car. He said "are you having a problem". I said "YES... THE CAR BEHIND ME WAS FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE AND BLINDING ME WITH HIS LIGHTS IN MY MIRRORS".
That cop was lost for words..... He asked for my license, looked at it quickly and told me I could leave!

That's my policy too. Most tailgaters will continue to "ride your ass" no matter how fast you go. Sometimes I slow way down, hoping they will pass me. If they continue to ride my ass, I usually just pull over on the shoulder, until they do pass. Tailgating is a pet peeve of mine. I wish it was legal to install a flame thrower on the rear of my car!
On Sat, 21 Nov 2015 13:44:52 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

True. I've tried to measure time for other reasons and it's hard, hard to tell when a car passes a landmark, hard to know how much time has gone by. (I've tried to learn to count off seconds accurety but i'm not as accurate as I want.)

LOL
At night on a two lane road a cop must have been behind me. He pulled me over and told me I was driving badly, wobbling. I said I was fine, no nothing to drink, and he looked at my license and left. I had no idea what the problem was until I started up again and reached for the M&M's I was pouring one at a time into one hand while I held the steering wheel with the other.
So the cop really was observant .

It's not? I thought James Bond had one.

I tap the brakes while adding a little gas.
the close ollower always ddrops back
On 11/21/2015 2:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

1) Nice going, about the tailgating cop.
I got to the top of a hill one time, big sign said TRUCKS USE LOWER GEAR. I down shifted, and went down the hill at what I considered a safe speed. At the top of the hill, a cop nearly slammed me in the tail. At the bottom he lit em up, and we chatted. Asked why I was going so slowly, 27 or so in a 55. Well, this hill really scares me, and I consider that a safe speed.
2) I'd also like a flame thrower. Also a set of lights in back to courtesy blind tail gaters with super duper head lights turned too high.
2a) Like the tailgater on the exit ramp, the bright light people won't get the point and won't have their head lights turned down.
On 11/21/2015 01:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:
[snip]

I once read a strange story about a device to put a force field around your car for safety. It also saves gas - these people were getting over 200 MPG because of the tailgaters.
--
33 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 11/21/2015 1:59 PM, Frank wrote:

When people tailgate me, I often slow down until they pass.
One time on exit ramp, I tried speeding up and slowing down a couple times, guy was still on my bumper. I finally slammed on the brakes, and did almost a complete stop before going again.
Got onto the highway. He pulled out to pass. I let him. Kept a safe following distance. He slammed on HIS brakes. I gently let off the gas (had a safe following distance, you see) and barely had to change my driving. That's the nice thing about keeping a safe following distance.
I'd dare to guess he never did get the point about not tailgating cause it's unsafe. Probably spent the rest of the day cursing me, too.
On 11/22/2015 07:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

Apparently you can save a lot of gas by tailgating 2ft behind a big truck.
--
33 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

You don't need to be within 2 feet to "draft". 2 seconds behind a flatbacked van trailer at 55-62MPH can give you a significant mileage boost but you need to be on your toes.
IIRC 2 seconds is about 100 ft - where you should save 20% of fuel due to drag - while the safe following distance at 55mph is 150 feet.
On 11/22/2015 1:05 PM, hah wrote:

> tailgating 2ft behind a big truck.

And the truck brakes, and then changes lane.
On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 08:12:21 -0500, Stormin Mormon

When an 18 wheeler is tailgating, getting just far enough ahead to give you "scramble space" and lock your brakes - it'll cost him a set of tires from "flatsiding" them and could cost him his job.
At the very least, he'll need a change of underwear.