AAA auto club

Page 5 of 5
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 21:28:08 -0700, Don Y

Generally a LOT more privacy protection in Canada than in the US of A

On 9/18/2015 4:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Are you familiar enough with their actual laws to know if these protections extend to business and clients OUTSIDE their country?

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:21:08 -0700, Don Y

Like I said earlier, they are honest and just do these things at the tax collector, because that is what all of that auto stuff is, a tax. Our tax collector is actually pretty good tho. I have had some strange title issues here with boats and they made it very painless ... in one trip. Most mundane things can be done completely online. Once you get a paper less title, there is not any real reason to even go up there and all they really want is the money. They take Visa/MC/Amex on the web site.
On 9/17/2015 3:48 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

In California you can't do that. You can call the DMV toll-free number and you could get a hold time of several hours.
Doug Miller posted for all of us...

PA doesn't have any local branches, can do it over Inet but are problematic.
--
Tekkie

On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 4:40:29 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:

How do you submit all the paperwork required to register a used car purchas ed through private sale? How do you get plates the same day as the purchase ?
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

se?
Through one of title places or a notary (whom usually does not have plates) one can also get temp plates which cling to back window and pink sales paperwork will make you good to go.
--
Tekkie

On 09/16/2015 05:33 PM, bob haller wrote:

I needed AAA service last year, because of a dead battery. There were no delays while on the call, and and a service truck arrived in less than an hour to start my vehicle.
They called back while I was at the shop to verify that the service went OK.
BTW, the dead battery was about 22 months old, and was replaced free.
--
99 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On 9/16/2015 3:33 PM, bob haller wrote:

<snip> In cases where it is possible to go to a company to get service it is usually far more time-effective to go there rather than to call. The DMV and AAA are two good examples. Cellular carriers are another example. The person on the phone is far less likely to give you an accurate answer.
Another example is HMOs. I gave up calling my HMO to get an appointment. I just go there and make an appointment. The medical offices are 10 minutes away so it's generally faster to go there than to call. When I explain why I didn't make an appointment on the phone they shake their head, not at me, but at the people at the call center. First you're on hold to talk to someone. Then they're unlikely to find you a timely appointment even if you don't care about the appointment being with other than your primary care physician. Then they want you to talk to an advice nurse. Then they want you to make an appointment with a non-physician. Then they wonder why they do poorly in patient satisfaction surveys.
The other thing I learned about my HMO is that the ER is actually not a bad deal. You get immediate care, referrals are included, and at $50 it's not much more than a PCP visit and a referral visit ($20 each). There's a 24 hour pharmacy on-site, they take x-rays and read them while you wait. My HMO has a wonderful ER with private rooms. They are very fast and efficient.
bob haller wrote:

I've been a AAA member for more years than I can remember, but I was shocked, shocked to discover that they wouldn't tow my disabled car (transmission failure) from my driveway to a used car place three miles away willing to pay me an acceptable price for it.
Why? Because I'd taken off the license plates to transfer them to a car I'd just bought from a dealer to replace the disabled one.
Had I known that in advance I would have had the car towed by AAA before I took off the plates and transferred them and the registration to the new car.
Yes, I probably could have "borrowed" the plate from my new car and put it on the disabled one long enough for AAA to tow it, but I'm still trying to live as much as possible by the rule, "There is no right way to do the wrong thing."
So, I paid a private towing company a hundred bucks to put it on a flat bed and take it to the used car place for me.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 9/19/2015 8:29 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

We carry towing coverage on our auto insurance. It's a small fee -- used to be something like $3/6 mos -- I think it is double that, now. Only used it once so I'm "behind" if you want to count that sort of thing.
OTOH, when I needed it, I just handed the receipt to my local agent and he wrote out a check, on the spot.