A wiring question (BX to NM?)

I've removed a wall in the kitchen of my house, and there were 3 circuits running through it, one an outlet, one a switch, and one just runs straight through.

What I mean to do is cut them, splice them to new (longer) wire, run them through the floor over to the wall, then let them continue up into the attic as they do now.

My issue, however, is that these are BX/armored wires. From what I understand, these get their ground through the steel "armor" conduit they run through. Is there a way to splice these wires with modern NM?

Thanks, John

Reply to
jstotler

I am not an electrician.

BUT, I think if you use metal junction boxes securely tighten the armored cable to the box and secure the ground wire of the NM to the box you will find that a circuit tester indicates that the ground is connected. At least that will be the case if you had a ground before you started.

For your safety and future needs be sure not to enclose any junction boxes inside walls or inaccessible areas. Keep all junction boxes in the attic, crawl or basement.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

An electrical box, just like any other wiring method. Run one with the proper connector in one knockout, and the other in another. Splice the wires together, with screw on caps. Cover with a blank plate, remember connections must remain accessible.

To keep things simple, use a metal box, and metal connectors. The NM requires a ground lug wire, I think, NM isn't code here, I've not used it my self.

You could install a outlet if you want to be fancy.

Reply to
John Hines