A tile grouting question

Hi all:

I assume that the ideal situation when grouting tile is to finish the job in one shot in order to have a more-or-less monolithic "structure" of grout, that is the grout is well-bonded to itself throughout. None the less, I also assume that it's not always possible to complete some grout jobs in one day. What's the best way of dealing with a grout job that may spread itself out over a few days? Or is my original assumption all wrong to begin with?

TIA.

Tom Young

Reply to
TomYoung

Do what you can, when you can.

Yeah.

Reply to
dadiOH

On 9/1/2009 10:15 AM dadiOH spake thus:

I concur. It's not critical that the grout grid form a "monolithic structure". Just make sure to form a good bond with the "ending point" when you start up again.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"TomYoung" wrote

I think it has more to do with labor costs if you are paying someone to do it.

What I've observed is folks trying to at least finish a complete wall in one session. I've never seen anyone stop in the middle of a row either, so potentially that might not be optimal.

They had to redo my master bathroom in Sasebo Japan, and the worker wasnt able to do it all in one day either (tile from floor to ceiling, pretty big bathroom). First he put new water repellant 'wallpaper' (looked like a vinyl sort) on the ceiling. Then he did the tub long wall. Next day he got one side wall and around the door frame, last day he finished where the sink and cutouts were then replaced some cosmetic things like the center floor drain and the hand-held wash down 'shower' part (which is outside in the center of the room and drains to a floor drain). The toilet in Japan BTW, is in another room. (They think it's a little unsanitary to combine them so unless in severe space management problems, they will be in different rooms).

Sorry, I would have asked questions being ever curious, but he didnt speak enough english to do more than look happy at the lunch offerings and happier yet after tasting to find out I can cook ;-) 1st day he ate with us and winked as he dumped his bento box so his wife wouldnt get mad. 2nd and 3rd day he didnt bother to bring one as we spoke enough in common when it came to cooking words for him to know 'lunch is on me'. All I recall clearly was how he split the walls up as he was tiling, and how much he loved fresh bread baked while he worked then slathered with butter while still so hot, it almost burned your fingers to pinch off a mouthful from the loaf.

Reply to
cshenk