a thank you and some pics

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me with this tile floor, particularly G Henslee whose advice throughout this was of tremendous value.

I haven't set the tiles yet because things took somewhat longer than I figured and I have to have the oven in place for the counter top guys to do their measurements. I didn't want to put the weight of the stove on freshly thinsetted/grouted tiles w/o more time to cure than I have before they get here. No matter, I have everything I need numbered and it will all go back into place. I have extra tiles and a different saw lined up should i manage to break one setting them.

A few pics at

Overall I'm pretty happy. For my first try at this with what turned out to be a pretty tricky layout and unforgiving grout lines I think it's going to turn out really nicely. I probabably will opt for shoe moulding around the toe kicks but even that will look fine.

Again thanks to all who pitched in advice. G consider yourself invited to a BBQ if you're ever in the San Diego area.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Wow ml! You did a great job! I wish I could view it in person and slap you on the back personally.

You've got some experience now and should you tile some more in the future you'll have that confidence thing going. You'll find the job will go easier with less nail biting and second guessing. I know several folks who are basically self-taught and they do outstanding work.

Glad to be of service. I do get to Sandy Eggo from time to time ;o) And actually it's for a BBQ too.

Reply to
G Henslee

"G Henslee" wrote

Little "rocky" out there right now.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

the quake? came in 2 waves. The first was small enough that I thought it might have been a truck on the freeway (which is 1/4 mile away) but the second wave/shock whatever vibrated my patio door glass hard enough to the point that I expected it to shatter. Always a weird feeling, you want to run out and verify w/your neighbors that that really did just happen. Oh well, I'm still a relative newbie out here at only 7 years and 3 small quakes.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Looks very nice! While I am not personally a fan of the stripe, I can appreciate why you like it, and the added time and possible frustration it may have caused you.

Tiling is something that makes me shudder, and you seem to have hit it head on. Kudos to you, and a VERY nice looking result!! Enjoy (remember, you will always see things that you thing look wrong that noone else will ever see).

Looks GREAT!

Chris

Reply to
SilverUnicorn

Thanks. :D

The stripe wasn't nearly as bad as it looked. It's a pre-made product of about 1 foot strips of 12 tiles on a fiberglass lath. You just space the strips as you would any other tile. I would never have undertaken laying the small guys individually.

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

I'm from PA but was in Pomona on Thursday for my very first quake! Oh and to the OP - Good job. A pro, an I too, probably would have skipped that little tiny triangle under the cabinet edge. No one would have ever noticed it once you grouted. How does it look when you site down the grout lines? Does it look straight? How about if you get down near the floor at one side? That's key for me. I do not get too concerned about cuts like you have near the door. They wont be a problem if the thinset is even underneath.

Reply to
No