A Test for young people

Page 8 of 9

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:45:28 -0800 (PST), terry

Yup. I owned one. Made before the little cassete tapes, and If I Rember Correctly - before the 8 track. I believe. built from '59 to '64. Progressing from Cassette (RCA) to Mini-cassette (Philips) to Micro-cassette.
see http://www.smecc.org/rca_inc_.htm about half way down the page.
Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_tape_cartridge - more accurate I believe - the tape WAS 1/4".
YLB18a I believe was the unit I had. See it and hear it at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE0-dLPKcvk

Also see: http://www.connell-labs.com/tape/RCACartridgeTapes.html
On 1/29/2010 6:05 PM snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca spake thus:

Hmm; I wonder how I missed those. I was in grade school in the 1960s, so presumably those were in use at the time. Maybe I just never noticed them, but I don't ever remembering seeing one of those tape cartridges.
Actually, it looks like a pretty nice package for tape.

- a Usenet "apology"
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:05:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Do you remember wire recorders? Used wire instead of tape. Before they figured out how to magnetize tape.
I've never seen one but in about 1955 I saw reference to a fairly small portable one, that ran on batteries, in an adventure comic book.
Later I found out that wire recorders really existed, maybe like the one in the comic book too.
Of course the problems come if the wire kinks.

I had one. It worked pretty well. It was given to me by a fairly famous violinist (Louis Gabowitz) when I was a kid.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 10:09:01 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Thanks.
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:05:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is not the same thing I was thinking of.
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:45:28 -0800 (PST), terry

Yup the ELCassette It was basically a QIC data cartridge if you remember those. I still have a bunch if you want to see one up close. There was also a BetaMax digital audio player.

My barber (Short, back and front, while I snooze) has it down to a science.
Give him a 20. or a five and a ten and he'll make sure to give you change that includes ones (one dollar coins in this case) so you can slip him a tip of a few bucks.
BTW: I've put a big old Bell style 2500 phone with a 'real' ringer- bell by the bed; just in case anybody phones at night. So much of the 'modern' stuff has those modern sounders. It's hard to a) Hear them and b) WHICH one is 'beeping'. It rang this morning and really surprised me!
If steam whistles or clicking of telegraphs were the sounds of the 1800s and early 1900s, the ticking of a geiger counter the sound of the 1950s and 1960s, then the piezo electo beeper, in cash registers, computers, et-al, MUST be the sound of this era!
Wonder what next?
Electro Encepholic encoding. You can hear it in your mind, whether you want to or not.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have 2 or 3 noises in my house I have yet to account for. And I've looked.

Zootal wrote:

I went to a grocery store some time ago where the registers were manned by my darker skinned cousins and the cute young lady at the register handed me $22.00 in change after I gave her a twenty for an eleven dollar purchase. Of course, I gave her back the excess change. I wonder how many people didn't.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

If it is a nervous kid obviously just starting out, I will be very patient with them, and point out the error sweetly, even if it is in my favor. I have no problem with somebody being new on the job- everyone has to start somewhere. But when the clerk is a know-it-all or a slackjaw giving me attitude, or a kid with a cell phone glued to their ear while they are ringing me up and otherwise ignoring me, if the error is in my favor, I leave. Let them explain to the manager why the drawer is short. Stupidity should be painful sometimes.
-- aem sends....
aemeijers wrote:

I went through the drive through at my bank one day and the teller gave me $40.00 too much. I returned it and when people ask me why, my answer is always the same: "It wasn't mine."
TDD

Better yet: when you pay for that $1.27 item, you hand the cashier $2.02. The cashier looks at you like you have two heads (aren't I a cool frood?). I'm not a genius, but I certainly feel like one when someone can't figure out simple finance like that.

Better yet: when you pay for that $1.27 item, you hand the cashier $2.02. The cashier looks at you like you have two heads (aren't I a cool frood?). I'm not a genius, but I certainly feel like one when someone can't figure out simple finance like that.
reply:
One time I was making change for a customer, and instead of doing it the regular way, I did it in random order, a nickel here and calling out the number then a quarter and calling out the number, all the time ending up with a number that did not end in a 5 or a 0 but ending up at the amt tendered.
She chuckled.
Steve

Ask them to tell you what time it is using a regular clock instead of a digital one...LOL...
[snip]

For how long will an analog clock be called "regular"?

We quit calling analog clocks "normal" and "regular" many years ago...my kids see an analog clock on the wall, and they ask me what that funny looking thing is.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:38:09 -0600, Zootal

Bumper Sticker: (paraphrased)
If you want to know something ask a teenager. They know everything
Ask the kids what time is American Idol on??
Zootal wrote:

Just recently I was wondering if my grandchildren will be taught to read an analog clock FIRST. Analog clocks actually require less thought then digital. You can look at an analog clock and without figuring the exact time, you can almost instantly know about what time it is just be the position of the hands. And many of them don't even have numbers, because our minds don't need numbers to figure out analog time. Sort of like looking at the sun, but a little more complex.
With a digital clock your mind has to calculate each number and come up with an answer.