A Test for young people

Page 7 of 9

*Nobody* knows how to make change anymore. I worked my way though college 30+ years ago running a cash register at a drugstore. This is how we were taught to make change, using your example above, and counting _out loud_ to the customer:
Put the purchase in a bag, hand it to him, and say "A dollar twenty-seven". Then three pennies: "28, 29, 30." Then two dimes -- "40, 50." Then two quarters -- "75, two dollars, thank you sir."
The beauty of this method is that you don't have to do any math to speak of. All you need to do is count. It doesn't matter if neither the cashier nor the customer can do the subtraction correctly -- it always produces the correct change, and everybody knows it.
And nobody under the age of about fifty has any idea how to do that.

I worked at a gas station when I was in school, and that is what we were taught also. I think it was pretty much the definitive way to make change. And it is so simple!
I read somewhere that in the years to come, after the technology crash happens and we are back to mechanical cash registers, Wal-Mart will be hiring all of use old programmers to run their cash registers because none of the kids these days know how to count money and no one else out there can do any math.

I was always the fastest of the cashiers. Back then, Indiana sales tax was only 4%, and figuring that in my head was trivial. Much faster than looking it up on the little chart...
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 20:31:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

When I was in Indiana, until 1966, the sales tax was 2 percent!
But i never knew where the borders were between 1 penny and the next.
I'm 47, and I do that all the time. However, I may be acceptional. *
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Jan 28, 12:42pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

They just arent taught. I showed a kid working at a charity garage sale how to do it . It took all of 30 seconds to show him and he was VERY appreciative. He had been struggling.
Jimmie
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:48:00 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

Back in the day, they not only taught that method, but the employees were instructed to do it "out loud", so the customer would be assured they were getting the correct change.

I love it when the bill is $11.06, and I give them $21.11, so I can get back a $10, and a nickel, and they can keep their ones. It takes them a moment or five to enter $21.11 as Amt Tendered, then the amazed look at when it flashes $10.05 as change, they look amazed or ask, "How did you do that?"
Priceless.
Steve

LOL These days the cash register tells them the change to give back. We used to have to figure it out and then we'd count out the amount to the buyer as we gave them the change.
[snip counting change back]

Absolutes tend to exclude exceptions to the rule; all three of my daughter-units are quite adept at counting change back. It a pet-peeve of SWMBO (she managed several retail stores during her teens and twenties), my MIL (who was a cashier at different times of her life), and me.
The Ranger

Calculators; bah humbug.
Ah but we also pay a sales tax. Used to be 15%. Which was easy; one tenth plus half of that again, added to the price. So in the example above sales tax would be 12.7 (that's 13 cents) plus half of that again (6.5 cents) a tax of 19 cents. So; 1.27 = 19 cents = well mentally I would say well that's one cent less than 1.47 or 1.46. And 1.46 is 4 cents less than 1.50 so from the 2 bucks that's, 54 cents change!!!!! New the sales tax has been reduced to 13%; haven't yet worked out a quick way to mentally calculate that. There probably is one though. Suggestions welcome.
BTW anybody interested in our 'Quick and Dirty' interest and monthly repayment calculation that one can do in one's head and is reasonably accurate for amount up to say $20,000 and say five years. Although again been meaning to work out some sort of correction factor for bigger amounts or longer periods!.
PS. Grandson when very small seen urgently pointing a digital calculator at the TV and pressing various buttons; thinking it was the TV remote! And in more recent years he's been showing his friends this 'cool' phone with a round dial (A Contempra with in-handset rotary dial) that we have in the hall passageway for convenient answering. But yes; I don't know how to 'knit' a fishing net or use a cast net, split a chunk of wood with one blow; skills my father in law and brother in law took for granted.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:55:54 -0800 (PST), terry

Must live in Ontario. By July it will all be One tax instead of 2, so yu won't need to remember if it gets GST, PST, or both applied.

On 01/28/10 12:25 pm, Zootal wrote:

Most store these days have no provision for selling anything without using the UPC scanner, quite apart from the onerous task of figuring out the change. Even writing down the UPC no. on a piece of paper doesn't work, because the store identifies an item not by the UPC but by the SKU -- and only the computer system knows how they are related.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The UPC is Morse Code, can't help with the SKU. I wonder if WalMart has an extra set of cash registers independent of their computer system in case of a major computer crash?

Here in Michigan, nearly everything is required to have a human- readable price tag. Most of our consumer protection was gutted in the last 15 or 20 years, but by gum we're protected from not knowing what the price is once we've left the aisle where we picked the thing up.
Cindy Hamilton
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:25:25 -0600, Zootal

Now add in the different sales taxes. And THEN figure out the change.
Oh, better. Hand the clerk five dollars, and two cents. That will kill any public school student.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I recently handed a cashier a twenty and a one for a purchase of ten dollars and some cents. She looked quite puzzled. I got back some coins, a five, and five ones -- one of which was the one I'd handed her to begin with. I had to ask for a ten instead of the smaller bills. And told her "that's why I gave you the one-dollar bill in the first place, so I'd get a ten back." OHHHHH!!
On 1/28/2010 09:25, Zootal wrote:

What's worse is delivery people who don't know how to give change that encourages tipping. For example, a pizza order for $14.95. The customer hands over a $20, and gets a nickel and a $5 in change. Being a kind and compassionate customer, I might let the guy keep the nickel. But if he gave out a nickel, four quarters, and four singles I might be inclined to give a bigger tip (if the pizza is still hot).
Someone wrote "How about a "cassette" recorder that used Cassettes about 6X8 inches with the wide tape like used on the old real to real? Made by RCA "