A Test for young people

Yup the ELCassette It was basically a QIC data cartridge if you remember those. I still have a bunch if you want to see one up close. There was also a BetaMax digital audio player.

Reply to
gfretwell

Close, that is the south end of Ft Myers Beach, Big Carlos Pass and Estero Bay.

Reply to
gfretwell

That is not the same thing I was thinking of.

Reply to
gfretwell

We married in 1966. Bought a 19" B & W portable TV for $169 but color was priced out of my range. I was making about $110 a week at the time and the mortgage was $84. Gas bill averaged $14 a month, electric about half of that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Shucks, thought I was close. If Big Carlos Pass bridge it the tallest one on that route (old age has me) - I dove from the peak, into the channel. Was that 70 - 80 foot dive? Water feels like concrete at that height, even head first.

Anyway, those are stomping grounds. I hear tell Bonita Springs is becoming a metropolis.

Reply to
Oren

It is solid now from South Ft Myers to Naples. Estero went from 2000 people to 20,000 in 10 years. It isn't just the light at Corkscrew now. Bonita is a city but the Pipers and the Nelsons are still running the place.

Reply to
gfretwell

Dang. As a kid, Ft Myers was a population of 25,000.

We took a ferry over to Sanibel Island, before the bridge. The Edison bridge was the only path across the river in those days...

Dad worked on some of the later bridges (Sanibel, Cape Coral). He worked to build some of the first 1,000 (?) homes in Cape Coral.

LOL - people should visit Corkscrew swamp.

Reply to
Oren

Was there even a min wage back then? Now days how many weeks pay is a television?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wrong!, wrong and wrong.. See my blog about you.

Oren

I have a keyring on my belt and I always have two sets of keys to the vehicle I'm driving at all times. Because of the prevalence of sticky fingers in the area, I automatically lock any vehicle when I get out. If I'm distracted, I may forget that the keys are in the ignition.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I had one. It worked pretty well. It was given to me by a fairly famous violinist (Louis Gabowitz) when I was a kid.

Reply to
salty

They did.

Reply to
salty

Cool! Dig that groovy garage door!

Reply to
Tony

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

I saw a 7" digital tv advertised on sign out front of a CVS pharmacy for 77 dollars if I read it correctly. I don't think it had electronic tuning though. You had to crank a level with one hand while you shoved pieces of wood into the tuner with the other.

Reply to
mm

Would it make sense to carry a second set of keys in another pocket?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One of my favorite lock outs. I got a call from a guy locked out of his car. He'd had a spare made, and tried it to be sure it worked. When he locked his keys in, he found out that his spare key (square) didn't fit the doors, which need the round key. GM product, you know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just read a great story of a lock-in the other day (Time magazine online): "If only every rescue were this easy. A Florida woman called

911 saying she was stuck inside her car with the windows up in a Walgreen's parking lot. Her engine wouldn't start, and it was getting hot. The 911 operator's advice? Unlock the door, and pull the handle. Presto."
Reply to
Jo Ann

The operator could have asked which walgreens. Had them send the manager out with a big hammer, and break all her windows.

You ever have the powerful impression that some people are so stupid they should not breed?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Big Red, the Dodge van, one key fits everything. Pipsqueak the Astrovan has the traditional two Chevy keys. Little Whitey the Ford Aerostar panel van is a one key vehicle. I like one key for a service vehicle and of course I have to lock the ladder rack. At one time I had a warehouse where the key for the front door fit a padlock on the back door, I liked it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas