A Test for young people

Page 4 of 9

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:09:50 -0800, "Steve B"

You didn't leave enough of the post you replied to, to make your post coherent, Steve.
I wasn't the one who said, "British pop group of the 60's, 70's and 80's"
So no one, including me, knows what you are on about.
On 01/28/10 10:54 am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Vinyl? Which world are you living in? Real record players play shellac discs. We had one my father bought at an auction that even had with it some old Columbia discs that were recorded at 80rpm -- and the player had a setting for that.

79 cents a gallon on Long Island, NY in 1998 or thereabouts.

Mechanical adding machines, then electronic calculators. The first 4-function electronic calculator I saw cost approx. $100.
Perce
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:16:12 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

I can remember when "computer" was the job title of a person.
Reefer was a type of truck....
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

my parents had an edison recorder/player that used wax tubes. he also had this enormous adding machine with a crank that could also subtract. he's still using the old black dial phones.
On 1/28/2010 10:32 AM chaniarts spake thus:

Amazing that the telephone network still supports pulse dialing, ain't it?

- a Usenet "apology"
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:15:54 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Yeah, my .line doesn't support TONE dialing yet!!!!!
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:07:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have a pristine Bell Systems black rotary wall phone in my kitchen. I've had guests who weren't sure how to use it.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:22:32 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

My tiki bar has a couple of relics in it. THe rotary pay phone works and the cypress knot clock in the upper right corner baffles most people younger than 40. There are no numbers on it.
BTW that "Billy Bass" is probably the first one ever in Lee County Florida. My mother in law brought it down from Atlanta
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 01:49:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/bar.jpg
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 01:55:46 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have a cypress clock with roman numerals 3,6,9 and 12
Is that wall poster of Sanibel / Captiva Islands?

Close, that is the south end of Ft Myers Beach, Big Carlos Pass and Estero Bay.
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:26:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Shucks, thought I was close. If Big Carlos Pass bridge it the tallest one on that route (old age has me) - I dove from the peak, into the channel. Was that 70 - 80 foot dive? Water feels like concrete at that height, even head first.
Anyway, those are stomping grounds. I hear tell Bonita Springs is becoming a metropolis.

It is solid now from South Ft Myers to Naples. Estero went from 2000 people to 20,000 in 10 years. It isn't just the light at Corkscrew now. Bonita is a city but the Pipers and the Nelsons are still running the place.
On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 02:24:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Dang. As a kid, Ft Myers was a population of 25,000.
We took a ferry over to Sanibel Island, before the bridge. The Edison bridge was the only path across the river in those days...
Dad worked on some of the later bridges (Sanibel, Cape Coral). He worked to build some of the first 1,000 (?) homes in Cape Coral.
LOL - people should visit Corkscrew swamp.
Good for you. Hope you use it for many more years.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Acvtually a friend saw it in my discard pile and quickly asked if he could "rescue" it.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Don't blame him- if it was inside all of its life, it should be good for another 40 years. I foolishly stored most of my collection of 'real' phones like that in the outside storage cubby of the apartment I used to live in, and the humidity got to a lot of them and rusted them internally. I hardly ever see real phones at garage sales any more, so I am reduced to mixing pieces and parts together when I need to come up with a running one.
-- aem sends...