A Test for young people

I recently handed a cashier a twenty and a one for a purchase of ten dollars and some cents. She looked quite puzzled. I got back some coins, a five, and five ones -- one of which was the one I'd handed her to begin with. I had to ask for a ten instead of the smaller bills. And told her "that's why I gave you the one-dollar bill in the first place, so I'd get a ten back." OHHHHH!!

Reply to
Doug Miller

They just arent taught. I showed a kid working at a charity garage sale how to do it . It took all of 30 seconds to show him and he was VERY appreciative. He had been struggling.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Any question is easy if you know the answer. I don't remember the particular question the rocket scientist missed but one of the questions today was "a tom tom, snare and bongo are types of what musical instrument". The contestant had to ask the fifth grader for help.

Reply to
hibb

.

At least he didn''t answer "types of GPS navigatorst".

Reply to
hrhofmann

wrote >>

Nice try.

The saying goes, "If you can remember the sixties, you weren't there."

Steve, graduated HS in '66. Everything foggy since then.

Reply to
Steve B

I love it when the bill is $11.06, and I give them $21.11, so I can get back a $10, and a nickel, and they can keep their ones. It takes them a moment or five to enter $21.11 as Amt Tendered, then the amazed look at when it flashes $10.05 as change, they look amazed or ask, "How did you do that?"

Priceless.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

And for each 5gal purchase you got free glasses or plates. I think I still have a few of those glasses in my cupboard.

Reply to
KC

What's worse is delivery people who don't know how to give change that encourages tipping. For example, a pizza order for $14.95. The customer hands over a $20, and gets a nickel and a $5 in change. Being a kind and compassionate customer, I might let the guy keep the nickel. But if he gave out a nickel, four quarters, and four singles I might be inclined to give a bigger tip (if the pizza is still hot).

Reply to
Bob

My tiki bar has a couple of relics in it. THe rotary pay phone works and the cypress knot clock in the upper right corner baffles most people younger than 40. There are no numbers on it.

BTW that "Billy Bass" is probably the first one ever in Lee County Florida. My mother in law brought it down from Atlanta

Reply to
gfretwell

Our egg nog glasses are from the Shell Oil Christmas collection.

Reply to
gfretwell

gfretwell

"Steve B" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

LOL These days the cash register tells them the change to give back. We used to have to figure it out and then we'd count out the amount to the buyer as we gave them the change.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

Back in the day, they not only taught that method, but the employees were instructed to do it "out loud", so the customer would be assured they were getting the correct change.

Reply to
salty

You didn't leave enough of the post you replied to, to make your post coherent, Steve.

I wasn't the one who said, "British pop group of the 60's, 70's and

80's"

So no one, including me, knows what you are on about.

Reply to
salty

inevitable gas wars of the late sixties I bought more than one tank full for less than 11 cents per gallon.

I remember when gas was around 20c/gal (55+yrs ago) late fifties and there was a gas war, the lowest being 12.9 cents. Your recollection is hard to believe!

last year and looking around for the switch to operate the electric windows... funny how people come to rely on technology.

I've heard of people being in tears because they couldn't unlock their car (dead fob battery). A passerby helped by taking their keys and unlocking the door.

bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

We had a 1949 Mercury convertible with power windows. I think they may have been vacuum powered. They weren't terribly reliable.

The Toyota Rav4 that I use as a "land dinghy" for my sailboat only has a keyhole in the driver's door.

Reply to
salty

My dad had a '49 Merc...you could change the AM radio station by a foot-switch! Very cool!

Reply to
Bob Villa
[snip]

One of my father's was labeled "acoustically recorded in 1908".

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

And all of this proves -- what? That people don't remember things that happened before they were born? That outdated, unused technology has some sort of current purpose? That some people are weak in history? That some people don't follow oldies music? As far as adults "failing" at "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader," I propose that an appropriate alternate title for this program would would be "How Much of the Crap They Forced You to Learn in Fifth Grade That You Never Had Any Further Use For Do You Still Remember?"

Reply to
Jo Ann

In Fergus Ontario, back in 1969 or 1970, one gas station actually PAID people to put gas in their tanks one day, to show how ridiculous the gas war situation was.

And we are talking TINY Canadian cents for BIG Canadian Gallons, too!!!!!

Reply to
clare