A Test for young people

Page 1 of 9

Ask people you know who are under 25, you'll be amazed at the answers!
1. What is a record player?
2. What is a dial telephone?
3. Who were the Beatles?
4. What is an 8-track tape player?
5. How many major wars occured in the 20th century?
6. What is inflation?
7. What is the cheapest price you can remember for gas?
8. What was the draft?
9. How were things done before computers?
10. How did people send a letter before e-mail?
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:17:49 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yeah, I doubt my kids have ever even seen one - even audio cassettes are a rarity.

I don't think I ever saw one of those until I came to the US - I'm not sure they were ever 'big' anywhere else. I did once have an answerphone that had a built-in 1/4" reel-to-reel tape deck...

I remember our boy getting into our '67 truck for the first time last year and looking around for the switch to operate the electric windows... funny how people come to rely on technology.

Isn't a draft an initial release of something, before you work out how to do it properly? ;)

Cell phones seem to be the current thing - our three kids are 8, 10 and 11, and everyone of that age at their schools seems completely obsessed with owning a cell phone, and holds an unshakable belief that they can't possibly do without one. It's all a little depressing, somehow.
cheers
Jules
11. How many square feet is a room that is 10'x10', or how much is 10% of 100--without a calculator. A while back, I was reading one of the humor pages in a Reader's Digest,and a teacher had given a test question: The War of 1812 was between ______ and _____. One answer was--1811 1813.
I remember about 10 years ago, I was at a station putting Diesel in the Olds 98 I had, and the young girl clerk came running outside yelling "Sir, that is Diesel you are putting in, not gas" Told her" yep, that's what it takes" She couldn't believe it. I admit I gotta give her credit for being observant and helpful.
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:50:54 -0600, Jules

How about a disc RECORDER, Or a Player Piano?

How about a "cassette" recorder that used Cassettes about 6X8 inches with the wide dape like used on the old real to real? Made by RCA

I pumped hundreds of thousands of gallons at 46.9 cents - and with the inevitable gas wars of the late sicties I bought more than one tank full for less than 11 cents per gallon.

Isn't that what you get when a window or door doesn't seal properly??

Snail Mail Had a parcel sent to me in Africa in the seventies, preceded by an air mail letter. The parcel arrived in 2 days, while the air-mail letter took several weeks - - - - -.
[snip]

In 2007, I tried to contact the owner of the house behind me (on the same block). I mailed a letter to that address (even though the house was vacant, someone might be getting the mail). The letter was returned as undeliverable, early in 2010.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Boy, they really tried hard to deliver it!

Probably sat in the mailbox all that time.

I'm sure they were out there every week looking for the people who lived there. Probably referred it to the Inspector General to find them.
On Jan 28, 1:10pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And for each 5gal purchase you got free glasses or plates. I think I still have a few of those glasses in my cupboard.

Our egg nog glasses are from the Shell Oil Christmas collection.
I can't remember what brand. Free screw driver with 8 gal fill up. I still have a couple of them.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Good for you. Enjoy them.

inevitable gas wars of the late sixties I bought more than one tank full for less than 11 cents per gallon.
I remember when gas was around 20c/gal (55+yrs ago) late fifties and there was a gas war, the lowest being 12.9 cents. Your recollection is hard to believe!

last year and looking around for the switch to operate the electric windows... funny how people come to rely on technology.
I've heard of people being in tears because they couldn't unlock their car (dead fob battery). A passerby helped by taking their keys and unlocking the door.
bob
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 04:51:00 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

We had a 1949 Mercury convertible with power windows. I think they may have been vacuum powered. They weren't terribly reliable.
The Toyota Rav4 that I use as a "land dinghy" for my sailboat only has a keyhole in the driver's door.
On Jan 29, 7:19am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

My dad had a '49 Merc...you could change the AM radio station by a foot-switch! Very cool!
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 05:27:35 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa

I've resolved not to ever buy such a mostrosity.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

In Fergus Ontario, back in 1969 or 1970, one gas station actually PAID people to put gas in their tanks one day, to show how ridiculous the gas war situation was.
And we are talking TINY Canadian cents for BIG Canadian Gallons, too!!!!!