A stinky drain

Page 2 of 2
Got a bucket of water from the bath tub. Pour into sink. Yep, sulphide smell in living room, again. Not as bad as earlier today, but definitely sulphide.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Very strange. Only things that come to mind are an issue with a drain or vent line in the vicinity of the LR. A break perhaps in a spot where the drain water running by causes a brief pressurization and burps out some sewer gas? Are the lines accessible to inspect?
I was under the trailer this summer, first time I've ever been under the trailer. The drain line is inch and a half PVC, I think. Anyhow, one section about 18 inches long was unhooked. Someone had a patch pipe, and two fermco connectors. The one end of the patch pipe was just hanging, all sink water went on the ground. I sawed the patch to length, and put it back together, with the two fermcos. And yes, I did tighten the spiral clamps.
Makes me wonder if there's another Fermo connector that didn't get tightened?
I can't remember how accessable it is, but it's a miserable job to get a fat man like me under a low trailer.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Most any crawl (slither?) space sucks to try to work in. I suspect that's the only way to isolate the problem though. Good luck.

We had a similar problem at our cabin. We had three different plumbers out to investigate and none of them could find the culprit. I mentioned the problem to a lady friend of ours and she said the smell was from no anode in our water heater. We replaced the water heater and the smell went away.
Although the smell only seemed to show up when we used the shower it was hard to determine where the smell was coming from.
cm

If you remove the rod and parts of it fall off in the tank, it's like not removing the rod. Newer heaters tend to use rods of a different material that don't allow the creation of the odor. Most use aluminum.
Gary Slusser Quality Water Associates