A small tube of waterproof grease

On occasion, I get to work on refrigerated equipment. The suction line typically has a steel valve, with a steel cap over the valve shaft. And often a steel cap, over the gage port.
These theads get rusty, and it's sometimes impossible to get the caps off. I'd been thinking there must be some material I can put on the threads, to keep them from rusting.
PB Blaster isn't there when I get back. Silver Permatex Thread Never Sieze, same thing. It tends to wash away.
What I'd like, is a heavy grease, in a small tube maybe 2 onces or less. So I can toss it in my tool box. This yet unknown grease should be water proof, and should handle temps from 0F to 100F. Without running off. And should handle warm air blowing ont he threads, from the condensor, without evaporating. Is there such a product?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 07/30/2010 06:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sil-Glyde? would that work?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Stormin Mormon wrote:

blue silicone grease. i have a small 2oz film canister that i got to lubricate pool o-rings, but it also comes in large tubes for lubing boat trailer hubs.
Thanks. Maybe find a trailer place, and see what they use for wheel berrings that go under water.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Not sure if this would work: Pool & Spa Lube (Chemical Resistant Fluoropolymers)
Use on O-rings, gaskets, valves and threaded parts (fiberglass pool filter cowling). "And more".
3.5 oz. in a tooth paste sized tube.
This product feels like silicone to me. But a gel consistency.
<http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/Filters-and-Filter-Media/Pool-and-Spa-Lube/D/30100/P/1:100:6000/I/68926
Thanks. I looked at the web page. That oughta be water proof.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:06:31 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

How about a sporting goods shop? Buy a small tube of Hoppes Gun Grease.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumberw3343
Or order it online. I've been using it for many years and it performs easily within your needs.

Use the HVAC blue thread sealant that you hopefully already have.
MikeB
Not trying to seal, prefer to waterproof.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Silicone spark plug boot release at any autoparts store. While there, get some brass caps and do yourself and your clients a favor by offering an inspection and free cap replacement.
Joe
They have either steel, or plastic caps. The plastic ones rot on, also. I'm not sure brass would help. An interesting idea. One similar cooler I worked on, had brass valve and brass caps. So, I guess they are made.
Boot release is a good idea. I bet that would work fine.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11358-155_PHIG38-2-Accessories-26-Cleaners-and-Lubricants/Phil-Wood-Waterproof-Grease-offer?utm_source=Googlebase&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&offer=IN210GLB.htm
A little more money, but you get 50% more and it's great grease. Been using it on the bikes for years...okay, decades.
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 18:06:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Buy a tube (I've seen very small ones and larger ones the size of a fat short toothpaste tube) of Silicone Dielectric Grease. You can usually find it in any decent auto parts store. Or buy the small little capsules of disk brake pad backing lube, which is also now being sold in little packets as light bulb socket protectorate. The best deal is the large tube, it's usually around $6.
I'll try that, if the pipe dope doesn't do the job. Thanks.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus