a sign my lawn mower blade is getting dull?

I noticed that after I cut my grass last week my lawn had a brown sunburned tint to it. Upon closer inspection the very top of many of the individual blades turned brown where they were cut. Just wondering if that means my blade is not making a clean enough cut.

Possibly, if the ends are "ragged". ----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

Either grass was wet? You can feel it when blade is dull.

If you didnt sharpen it in a year it should be, was it real tall, that will burn it, did the grass get sun all day after you cut it, best time is is later in the day but its probably alot to do with the blade and grass height.

yes the grass was a little wet when I last mowed it and it was in the morning. How do you sharpen a lawn mower blade, is this something I can do myself of do I need to bring it to a sharperner?

What kind of lawnmower - rider?, push? For a std push mower you can probably buy a new blade for as much or less than getting it sharpened.
If it's a rider with like twin blades, might wanna take it to a mower shop for sharpening. At least you know you get the proper bevel and even. Sharpening yourself on a grinding wheel, you may get a good edge but the balance is more critical. Unbalanced will cause vibration and wear on the shaft(s)/bearings I would think.

I have a standard push mower. Just did a tune up today, replaced the spark plug, filter and oil. I used my dremel tool to try to sharpen the blade a little. It starts up in one pull now and cuts the grass perfectly even. I'll check tomorrow to make sure I don't get that brown edge to the grass. I hope it was just because it was wet and cut in the morning. I'll report back what I find.
push mower, with a single blade
if it won't cut, it's dull.

That may not be the primary problem. Talk to a qualified expert in your area, a university ag department for example or farm service organization. There are many lawn grass problems rangng from trivial to fatal that your local experts can help you with. Good luck.
Joe

Aside from looking at the grass tips, did you look at the mower blade? When was the last time it was sharpened? A dull blade will cause more damage, because it shreds the leaf tips instead of cutting it cleanly. IMO, the easiest way to sharpen it is to use a hand held angle grinder. Takes just a few minutes.
to use a hand held angle grinder. Takes just a few minutes.
**************************
I use a belt sander, but not everyone has one available.

Never thought of that Edwin. Flat and wide. Thanks!
Aluminum Oxide belt?
How do you check balance?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I put it on a dowel.
Details, please? What size dowel, and how do you tighten it? Have to be about the same size as the mower shaft, and then do you tape it on, or what? Once you get the blade atached to the dowel, what do you do then?
I've balanced lawn mower blades, but you don't provide enough detail for someone who has never done the process.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus