a sign my lawn mower blade is getting dull?

I noticed that after I cut my grass last week my lawn had a brown sunburned tint to it. Upon closer inspection the very top of many of the individual blades turned brown where they were cut. Just wondering if that means my blade is not making a clean enough cut.

Reply to
Joe

Possibly, if the ends are "ragged". ----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Hi, Either grass was wet? You can feel it when blade is dull.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If you didnt sharpen it in a year it should be, was it real tall, that will burn it, did the grass get sun all day after you cut it, best time is is later in the day but its probably alot to do with the blade and grass height.

Reply to
ransley

That may not be the primary problem. Talk to a qualified expert in your area, a university ag department for example or farm service organization. There are many lawn grass problems rangng from trivial to fatal that your local experts can help you with. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

yes the grass was a little wet when I last mowed it and it was in the morning. How do you sharpen a lawn mower blade, is this something I can do myself of do I need to bring it to a sharperner?

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

What kind of lawnmower - rider?, push? For a std push mower you can probably buy a new blade for as much or less than getting it sharpened.

If it's a rider with like twin blades, might wanna take it to a mower shop for sharpening. At least you know you get the proper bevel and even. Sharpening yourself on a grinding wheel, you may get a good edge but the balance is more critical. Unbalanced will cause vibration and wear on the shaft(s)/bearings I would think.

Reply to
Red Green

innews: snipped-for-privacy@z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

I have a standard push mower. Just did a tune up today, replaced the spark plug, filter and oil. I used my dremel tool to try to sharpen the blade a little. It starts up in one pull now and cuts the grass perfectly even. I'll check tomorrow to make sure I don't get that brown edge to the grass. I hope it was just because it was wet and cut in the morning. I'll report back what I find.

push mower, with a single blade

Reply to
Joe

if it won't cut, it's dull.

Reply to
Noahbuddy

Aside from looking at the grass tips, did you look at the mower blade? When was the last time it was sharpened? A dull blade will cause more damage, because it shreds the leaf tips instead of cutting it cleanly. IMO, the easiest way to sharpen it is to use a hand held angle grinder. Takes just a few minutes.

Reply to
trader4
**************************

I use a belt sander, but not everyone has one available.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:fPUZj.1067$xZ.270 @nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

Never thought of that Edwin. Flat and wide. Thanks!

Aluminum Oxide belt?

Reply to
Red Green

And how do you check balance?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How do you check balance?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I put it on a dowel.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Details, please? What size dowel, and how do you tighten it? Have to be about the same size as the mower shaft, and then do you tape it on, or what? Once you get the blade atached to the dowel, what do you do then?

I've balanced lawn mower blades, but you don't provide enough detail for someone who has never done the process.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon