A sad tale of two wrecked newsgroups

Page 3 of 4

On 6/22/2010 1:04 AM, hibb wrote:

"Dufas" is a proper name you big silly. Just like "Pennington" or "Aceveds".
TDD
On 6/22/2010 2:56 AM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

I always wondered about that. (Well, not always; wasn't born wondering about it.) So it isn't the same as "doofus". Thanks for clearing that up.
Probably pronounced "do-FA", right?
On 6/22/2010 11:55 AM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

You may pronounce it as you wish, it matters not since I can't hear you. You should hear the Southern pronunciation for "Renault".
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@blueballs.com wrote:

On 6/22/2010 9:11 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Yep, the last one. ROTFLMAO
TDD

The last one was how i grew up hearing it.
--
Steve Barker
On 6/23/2010 5:36 AM, Steve Barker wrote:

Did You grow up in The Southeast? I speak several American dialects including Hillbonics, Yankbonics and of course Ebonics. I have to be able to understand a wide variety of languages in order to take care of my business dealings with people. I'm getting pretty good at the job of communicating with people who's English is colored by their native tongue of Urdu or Hindi. Understanding those folks is very important for the purposes of tech support concerning data and telecom systems. 8-)
TDD
<stuff snipped>

I believe I've only KF'ed only two, which is remarkable for a group this size. Most people really do behave themselves here, and I've seen nothing like what happens in groups that are the victims of deliberately destuctive acts. A little around the edges, maybe, but well within tolerance. Hopefully it can stay that way, especially if OT'ers can remember to show a little consideration by marking their threads OT.

Or, like the BP spill, until the problem is solved or fades from view.

Less panty bunching and more pressing "Next" goes a long way towards keeping the peace.
-- Bobby G.
On 6/25/2010 6:43 PM, Robert Green wrote:

I think there is only one person/creature in my killfile and he/she/it is not posting in alt.home.repair. It's so easy to skip a thread with Thunderbird by pressing "R" which marks the thread read without wiping it out by pressing "K". There are threads I may not be interested in at a particular time but someone who has a good head on their shoulders may post something to the thread and I might want to read it. There is so much good information posted to this group by some wonderful folks who know what they're talking about. A famous man once said, "Experience is a fool's best teacher." If I read about what some fool has done to cause damage to whatever, I'm going to pay attention and not repeat his or her mistake. I get a lot of links from this group.
TDD
"The Daring Dufas" wrote

Grin, only 2 in mine that aren't those silly 'ladies watches' or whatever spam.

Yup! I find that unless I ask something that no one has any experience with (recently asked on Duro Shed brands after reading reviews), I get lots of good feedback. Just good folks here overall.

Ab-so-FRAKKING-lutely! If someone doesn't know how to use filtering, kill filing and such, post THAT sort of off-topic question here, and the more experienced users will be glad to help you learn.

Isn't this just a bit OT for a Home Repair newsgroup? ;-)

Obama, Bush, the Israelis, the Palestinians - take your pick! (-:
It's pretty clear that more than a few Usenetters are the kind that arrange their peas in a row on their dinner plate, making sure no food touches any other food.
If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out!

Actually, I am impressed that AHR has a number of people who are passionate about their opinions but respectful of others when debating. It tells me there's still hope for the world.
-- Bobby G.

Impressed enough to want to see posts from slow, banana, moron, etc...plus all the spam from gmail? Not I. I don't have time to filter that which I already know I'm not going to read. I just want it gone.
wrote in message

Impressed enough to tolerate the garbage which my newsreader allows me to easily work around. If I have no interest in a thread, I mark it read and it's done. I wish people could learn to mark OT in the subject line more reliably than I see, but that's correctable through cordial reminders.
I sympathize with people who read lots of groups and don't have time to sort through all the chaff. I've been there, done that, and can remember how pissed I was to have to paddle through 100's of messages about a TV show I hated in a newsgroup devoted to a TV show I loved but that had gone off the air.
The reality is, as much as you or I wanted it gone, it's never going away. Thousands of Usenet groups have already proved that. It comes down to finding an acceptable compromise between the different things people want from the group. That's what most of the world's problems are like: finding an acceptable compromise. Unfortunately we've devolved into a state where "I know I am absolutely right, so YOU are the one who must yield" is the standard response from both sides on a issue. No compromise means no solution short of extermination. In many places in the world, it's now coming to that ugly end game.
-- Bobby G.

But only Usenet is equipped with a twit filter if you want to learn how to use it. Oh, that that was available in life... (g).
and name it after the IRS.

I would suggest that you stop posting OFF TOPIC crap to THIS group...especially without marking it OT.

I would suggest that you stop posting OFF TOPIC crap to THIS group...especially without marking it OT.
reply: (stamping feet and screaming) IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!
And maybe you could, do the same thing, too? Ever thought of that? Hmmmmmmmm?
Steve

I didn't start the thread, genius.