A question on ethics.

Page 2 of 4
On 12/13/2013 06:35 AM, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

I stopped dealing with Tiger Direct due to a rebate I did not get.
I went back and forth with them /many/ times until the 30 days I had to apply ran out. Once it was too late to get the rebate, they finally told me to just download it from their website at the time of purchase. Up until then they simply told me they'd send me the form.
philo wrote:

Hmmm, When I purchase an item big or small rebate has nothing to do on my decision to buy. I don't buy things because there is rebate. I buy what I want/need.
On 12/13/2013 10:18 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

So do I...but I did not like the way "Tiger" told me they'd send it and after it was too late let me in on the real way to get it.
On 12/13/2013 11:42 AM, philo wrote:

I hope you tell every one you know.
Radio Shack. I purchased a cell phone with $40 rebate. Reminded them a couple times, I never got the rebate. I've not purchased even a penny's worth of merchandise since then, and that was 2006.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/13/2013 10:52 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yep...
As to Tiger...I just make sure everyone knows they need to print out the rebate form first. It's been a long time since that happened and I possibly would buy from them again.

+1
...but a rebate is gravy. I only bother with them if the rebate is worth more than the hassle. $.50, not likely. $100 or $300, you bet!

If you purchased through a standard credit card, like VISA, you go back to VISA and protest the charge, subtract your rebate and accept THAT as the cost. The key words are that you did NOT get what was purported to be your agreed upon purchased item. They should stand behind you and subtract off either the whole charge or the amount of the rebate. Again, you ordered such and such and did NOT receive such and such, therefore you are not liable under your agreement terms with your charge company.
On 12/13/2013 10:19 AM, RobertMacy wrote:

I've dealt with Visa on issues before and here is how it goes:
1) If an unauthorized person used your card...that is fraud and the card holder is 100% covered. All you need to do is fill out a fraud report. Visa is excellent in that area and makes a huge effort to prevent fraud. Several times they called to to confirm whether or not the transaction was legit.
2) If the card holder makes a purchase but it is not to their satisfaction...all Visa will do is hold charges for 30 days while the card holder and the vendor work things out.
In my situation I did not deem a long , drawn out fight for just a few dollars to be worth doing...so I did what I thought best and stopped doing business with them.
In a court of law, Tiger would have won. To get a rebate, it would have been required that I sent in the rebate form...and I did not. Though I was verbally given the wrong info...I am sure they had the proper procedure buried somewhere on their website...and from a legal perspective would have been in the right.
On 12-13-2013, 11:53, philo wrote:

In a court of law, they wouldn't even bother to show up and you'd win.
If they did show up, and you had proof that they cheated you by foot-dragging, you'd probably win. But if there is no jury, it's hard to predict what a judge will do. I remember after one case asking a lawyer, "Did that judge actually say on the record that he was not going to do his job?" "Yeah, but what are you gonna do?"
--
Wes Groleau

Words of the Wild Wes
On 12/13/2013 05:57 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Since the rebate was probably for ten dollars I have a feeling it would not have been a court case.
A little history, State sues TigerDirect, OnRebate http://assets.bizjournals.com/cms_media/southflorida/pdf/TigerDirectComplaint.pdf
On 12/13/2013 06:19 PM, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

Now that is interesting. If anyone had an issue with Tiger Direct...sending them a copy of that PDF might actually get them to "pay up".
philo wrote:

The one-and=only rebate I never got was from Circuit City.
I'm not saying that I had anything to do with their untimely demise.
But I'm not saying I didn't!
On 12/13/2013 6:35 AM, Fat-Dumb and Happy wrote:

I believe a lot rebates are a scam and a way to fool customers. The advertising has a low price in big print but underneath, there is very tiny print, "after rebate". ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 06:35:05 -0600, Fat-Dumb and Happy

I've gotten every rebate I applied for (I can follow instructions). But then, I don't deal with Tiger Direct either.
On 12/13/2013 12:55 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I'd be tempted to at least split it with the client. What happens when he finds out about the company offering a rebate, and asks you about it? You tell him you filed and kept the money. He's bound to be upset.
Wish Dr. Laura Schlessinger was still answering questions. This would be a good question for her.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The mere fact that you post this question shows your conscience is bothered. Do the right thing.
On Friday, December 13, 2013 7:44:23 AM UTC-8, badgolferman wrote:

Thank you, I will, but I don’t believe in a “conscience” but I always try my best to do what is fair.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Rebates typically take 6-8 weeks to receive. But not everybody knows that.
So what is your client going to think of you showing up with $$ so long after the deal?
Will he be thrilled, or... suspicious?
On Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:55:09 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

First off, your services were hired...it was your decision what to buy. Tell him about the rebate and discount his fees however you think is fair considering that. As long as you let him know...it won't come back and bite you in the ass.