A question for the plumbers.

Page 2 of 2

Wayne Whitney wrote:

Thru that section, yes. But, to be clear, the more flow is relative to the reduction in what comes out the end of the new section owing to the added pressure differential. There's not going to be more coming out of the opening into that section than the upstream pressure there supplies.

I agree, thanks for pointing out my first response to Gil was a bit sloppy.
Cheers, Wayne
Hi Gil,
I read your post too quickly the first time, let me try again at responding to it:

In the OP's example, he is considering extending his system with either 3/4" or 1" pipe. So in the two cases we are comparing, the pipes would be connected to the same source.

You won't get any more flow than the 3/4" pipe would provide at the point of attachment of the new pipe. But you will get more flow at the end of the new pipe when the new pipe has lees fricional loss.
Cheers, Wayne
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:40:40 +0000 (UTC), Wayne Whitney

Increasing the pipe diameter will not increase pressure, but it WILL decrease pressure drop.
Perhaps what you're trying to say? The larger pipe will preserve whatever flow and capacity is available at the end of the 3/4. But, it won't increase pressure, or GPM rate.
However, using smaller pipe may reduce the flow, pressure, or GPM.
I'd be concerned that some future plumber might see the larger pipe, and assume that it was larger, all the way back.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 8/13/2010 6:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

why would that concern you?
--
Steve Barker
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 16:50:40 -0500, The Post Quartermaster wrote:

Keep the same size.