A question for plumbers

Couldn't you determine whether the sanitary sewer system was connected to the A/C ductwork by some other method?

Where I used to work, our facilities manager chunked a smoke bomb into the A/C return air handler. Immediately HUGE volumes of smoke shot up through the bottom of the three mainframes in the computer room. Smoke detectors went nuts. Operators pulled the emergency power-down handles. About a zillion fire trucks surrounded the building and demanded the release of the hostages. Confusing and contradictory instructions were bellowed out over the PA system. People screamed "Run for your life" and "We're all gonna die!". Some sat at their desk and wept.

All in all, a fun afternoon.

Reply to
HeyBub

Especially in recent times when so many places use emergency services as a revenue stream.

In at least 3 municipalities in my area if someone were to drive by and notice smoke and pick up their phone they would send police cars, fire trucks, paramedics, an ambulance and a large bill.

In those towns you don't even have a choice if say your radiator hose blows off and you safely park the car because the police are trained to aggressively take charge of "the situation" and they will call for the firetrucks and paramedics and you will be sent a bill.

My niece worked for a collection agency for a while and she said many of the bills they were trying collect payment for were from municipalities who had billed as I described.

Reply to
George

There are also people who once down on the floor need help to get back up. You don't have to be obese to be in that category - my wife is one and she is far from overweight.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

So in addition to making a stupid post you now add another? Did you expect him to know all 330 million?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I've never used a smoke bomb on a sanitary sewer system but I've used some really big long snakes and florescent dye. The dye changed the color of the hair clogging the drain, made me think there was a punk rocker stuck in there. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's why I would recommend recording your phone conversations with government agencies. You properly notify them that you're recording with an explanation that it's for your records and get them to verify their name, time/date and if they are the correct person to be talking to about your situation.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That was very rude. Many of my friends are too weak to help with a project like that and I often recruit a younger stronger person. I like to teach youngsters how to repair things when they're interested in learning how. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What's with the rude bug up your arse? I haven't noticed anyone responding to you in that way. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My roommate is 60 any worked as a carpenter most of his life and basically wore his body out. Last year I took him to a hospital because he couldn't breath and doctors discovered he has a hole in one of his heart valves. He had never been a patient in a hospital before in his whole life which I thought was a bit odd for someone that age. Anyway, he no longer has the strength to do the kind of simple brute strength tasks which were easily accomplished in years past. Sometimes he falls and I have to help him up but I don't mind, I'm not Amazing Hulk strong anymore either. :-(

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I had a sweet old gal for a customer some years ago who was 70, she lived with her mother who was 100 years old. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Bob-tx

Amazing how narrow minded & insensitve 'A. Baum' is. Perhaps his real initials are AH?

He'll sing a different tune when he's older, sick or disabled.

cheers Bob

PS I vote for "plumber rip-off". Get a someone to just replace R & R the toilet, replace the wax ring & check out the waste lines. How old is the house? Are there any drains in the bathroom that don't get their traps replenished? Unused shower or tub?

Reply to
DD_BobK

Many states do not requie two-party consent to record. I don't think there's a federal law on point.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not a rip off. This is the best way to find the problem. If they just replace the ring and that doesnt fix the problem they are going to be the goat for not fixing it right the first time.. Assume you just have the ring replaced and they will not guarantee the work because they are not sure this is the cause. You agree or they dont do the work, This will probably cost close to $200. If all goes well great if not you are out of $200 and bathroom still stinks and its still going to cost another $400 or more to get it done right. Most neighborhoods usally has someone living there that can do odd jobs like the for $40 or $50. He may not fix it for you either but it wont cost $ 200 to find out.

Jimmie.

Reply to
JIMMIE

Not just emergency services. Anything that can be turned into a revenue source for the municipalities WILL be turned into one. The next big "default" is expected to come as a result of the many pension and health care promises made to city/county employees that are unfunded or underfunded. Just like retiring GM workers (and hundreds of thousands of others) found out, your retirement bennies can be negotiated away in the blink of an eye. To at least try to meet the payments due retirees, local governments are going to charge for everything they can and have already steeply hiked various fees and fines. Talk about anti-business environments. The funny thing about recessions is how they tend to avalanche.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

If you do your own smoke test, suggesting you put it into a small can with a wire through holes in the sides. Otherwise, the bomb can melt a portion of a plastic pipe.

Reply to
Michael B

Well, he did say "most anyone".

Reply to
Home Guy

My thought is to record them with their full knowledge so there is no chance for an accusation of underhandedness or any violation of law. I know prosecutors like to make up laws as they go about their daily business or more correctly try to fit an imagined offense to an existing law.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Chortle. Some kind soul volunteered me as a Fire Warden (aka hall monitor) at the federal facility where I work, as a 'temporary' replacement for a fellow that fell off a ladder, working on his dad's house. (See the AHR connection?) Well, that poor guy ain't ever gonna walk right again, so it looks like I am stuck with it. Your lovely description pretty much fits all the mass evac exercises they do there- I have to be the last SOB off the floor to make sure everyone left, mark the doors accordingly, and then make my boss call in to their 'command center' so they can do a nose count. Said command center is in the basement, BTW. If the building takes heavy damage, it will be very dark down there, with no way out.

Reply to
aemeijers

Good point, but if they know they're being recorded, they'll be more circumspect. I prefer them to say "I should take two steps back and put ten bullets in your f***ing chest!"

Reply to
HeyBub

I guess the seals aren't all that's circular, in this thread.

Reply to
krw