A question for plumbers

Page 2 of 3
Bob-tx wrote:

Commode?
Would it kill you to just say toilet?

Call another plumber (or call the same one in a few days) and just say that you've got a small leak around the base of your toilet and you'd like them to come over and put a new seal on it.
Don't mention anything about a sewer gas odor.
Add pictures here
✖
Bob-tx wrote:

Will they blow out the telephone line at the same time? :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Wow, there's a phrase I haven't heard in years. Thanks for making me feel old.
nate
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/28/2011 9:43 AM, Bob-tx wrote:

Well, if it were sewer gas, the trap should be full and block it, ring or no. In that case would have to be something else which is what he would be looking for...
If it is indeed the was ring that has failed, there should definitely be at least hidden signs of some leakage if it's bad enough to have created odor it's had to either been very small for a while or large enough to make stinky...
I'd be looking more closely for the evidence first methinks...altho your diagnosis/guess is likely ok, I'd think it observable.
Add pictures here
✖

The trap is in the toilet itself which is above the ring. If the trap was in the waste pipe itself your statement would be correct. It can absolutely be ring.
Add pictures here
✖

The trap is in the toilet itself which is above the ring. If the trap was in the waste pipe itself your statement would be correct. It can absolutely be ring.
Add pictures here
✖

Have to respectfully dissagree here. IF the toilet was installed with one of the better ring seals, there will be NO water leakage unless the pipe is plugged and it backs up, because the better rings have a tapered sheild on them that directs the flushed water and debris past the seal - so a leaky seal can stink and still not leak.
The trap, if you look at ANY north american toilet, is ABOVE the seal, so can be full of water and functioning, and still alow gas to leak past a bad ring seal.
Chances are better than 90% it's a bad seal, unless it is an old house with badly corroded cast iron plumbing - in which case all bets are off - and I wouldn't even waste the money on the smoke test - just get the plumber to pull out ALL the cast iron and replace with plastic.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:43:18 -0500, Bob-tx wrote:

Any person who can follow simple instructions can change their own seal.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:39:05 -0700, Oren wrote:

Most anyone who can shit in a toilet can change the seal.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/28/2011 11:22 PM, A. Baum wrote:

Speaking of shit, yer full of it. 1/3 of this country is obese, which often includes a reduced ability to lift things, especially in small spaces, not to mention many people can't see well enough to do the close work of fussing with the bolts, assuming they can even get down on the floor to get to them, and get back up. Add in the common complication of the shutoff valve being frozen or rotted, and the downside gets big fast. So, yes, anyone who is in halfway-decent shape and HAS SEEN IT DONE BEFORE can R and R a toilet. But if someone is not a regular tool user, or doesn't even own the tools, and the house is over 20 years old, I always recommend they get a plumber. I do tell them to watch and learn, though. If the house only has one bathroom, and there is a SWMBO and rug-rats involved, I strongly recommend a plumber- there is no postponing things when the family needs to pee. And Murphy being Murphy, even if you start early on Sat when the Borg is open, there will be unexpected complications. Any real plumber will have the 20 most common parts on his truck.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

There are also people who once down on the floor need help to get back up. You don't have to be obese to be in that category - my wife is one and she is far from overweight.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/29/2011 9:30 AM, Harry K wrote:

My roommate is 60 any worked as a carpenter most of his life and basically wore his body out. Last year I took him to a hospital because he couldn't breath and doctors discovered he has a hole in one of his heart valves. He had never been a patient in a hospital before in his whole life which I thought was a bit odd for someone that age. Anyway, he no longer has the strength to do the kind of simple brute strength tasks which were easily accomplished in years past. Sometimes he falls and I have to help him up but I don't mind, I'm not Amazing Hulk strong anymore either. :-(
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/28/2011 10:22 PM, A. Baum wrote:

What's with the rude bug up your arse? I haven't noticed anyone responding to you in that way. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
Oren wrote:

Well, he did say "most anyone".
Add pictures here
✖

I guess the seals aren't all that's circular, in this thread.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:26:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

330 million in the USA and you know of one dozen? You're kidding right?
Add pictures here
✖

So in addition to making a stupid post you now add another? Did you expect him to know all 330 million?
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:27:16 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And what? Can't find a friend to help you when hundreds of dollars are involved? Go fuck yourself you moron.
Add pictures here
✖
On 7/28/2011 10:25 PM, A. Baum wrote:

That was very rude. Many of my friends are too weak to help with a project like that and I often recruit a younger stronger person. I like to teach youngsters how to repair things when they're interested in learning how. ^_^
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:27:16 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

As long as you're in there, do the whole job and replace the tank gasket and flapper seat. Only lift a piece at a time. <sheesh>
Add pictures here
✖