A question about block and tackle

I've got this small block and tackle set that has been kicking around for years. The way the ropes are configured seems wrong. While the system works, the ropes always twist around themselves and the resulting drag makes the whole thing pretty useless, especially if the ends are extended far apart.

The fixed end is located between wheels 6 and 7.

What is the right sequence for running the rope through the wheels?

You can see the current setup using the link below.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

The fixed end must be at the end of the run, after wheel 7. It looks like it is crossing between 3 & 7.

Reply to
badgolferman

not necessary.

If the system is twisting it is the rope that is twisting. You could remove the rope and dangle it from a height or otherwise 'untwist' it but I would recommend replacing the rope with braided. The 3-strand may twist under load no matter how carefully you 'untwist' it. Select a braided, low stretch, line - try a marine hardware shop or chandlery. Not cotton or polypropylene (the yellow stuff). Use the largest diameter which still easily passes through the block - without rubbing the sides of the 'saddle' of the block - Larger, more for comfort (on your hands) than for strength.

regards Martin

Reply to
Martin Fraser