A problem with LEDs

Don't be silly, the "Cash for Caulkers" program is for tall people.
"Obama at Home Depot Declares Home Improvements Sexy"
"Insulation is sexy stuff. Saving money is sexy stuff, the Washington Times quoted the President as saying. "
http://www.huliq.com/9204/89692/obama-home-depot-declares-home-improvements-sexy
Oren wrote:

http://www.huliq.com/9204/89692/obama-home-depot-declares-home-improvements-sexy
Oh no! Are we going to see cute young girls dancing around proclaiming "I'm an insulation girl!" Well, it gets the attention of the guys.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Look, if the federal government can settle a "little people" lawsuit over discrimination in public housing by building an entire apartment house in Chicago and letting about a thousand midgets, dwarfs, leprechauns, elves, and pygmies live there at no cost, they ought to be able to recruit enough workers for a few crucial intersections.
I've seen the apartment house. It's called the "Chicago Stay Free Mini-Pads."
BOO!!! HISS!!!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<SNIP material otherwise getting more than 2 quotation symbols per line>

Although I don't doubt that birds have built nests in traffic signals, I have yet to see this even once so far atage in late 40's and living and working entirely in urban and inner-ring-suburb locations. And I have roughly 50,000 miles experience driving cars almost entirely in such areas, along with a goodly 300,000 miles driving bicycles on streets in such areas, and walking on streets in such areas likely having lifetime mileage for me to be an additional 30,000 miles.
Perchance Philadelphia's birds are not as birdbrained as their politicians and Philadelphians electing/re-electing them to office are?
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 05:25:17 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

I can't speak for Philly, but in Black, AL there has only been one signal light (period). Years ago (70/80s) "The boys" shot the lamps out of the blinker light (red/amber). Martins (birdies) made a nest in the signal. Eventually, a new highway was built around Black, Al and the signal was still the only one ever placed at the only intersection - if you visit Black, AL.
Oren wrote:

I think Walnut Grove, AL may have had two blinking lights. Funny thing about Black, AL, there are few Black folks residing there.
TDD
Oren wrote:

Oh my God! This is funny, I tripped over this link:
http://tinyurl.com/y9qdoct
TDD
Temperature snap disk, no problem.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

<SNIP what that responded to in order to edit-for-space>
Should that one be the one to be the cream that rises to the top, I propose that it be an incandescent lightbulb designed to last 100,000 or 200,000 hours, or for that matter a 230V lightbulb with life expectancy at 120V of a couple million hours, even around a million at 130V.
A 100W 230V 1000-hour (or is it 1500?) Europe-typical big-brand (Philips or Osram) incandescent typically achieves IIRC around 1300 lumens at 230V.
At 120V, that one produces around 100 or mid-upper-90's lumens, and consumes 37 maybe 38 watts. I would take 2.5 lumens/watt (before losses from colored lenses) over zero when power consumption has to incur a large uptick and there is need for more light.
Don Klipstein wrote:

I believe some of Thomas Edison's light bulbs are still working. They are on DC and I'm sure the voltage is low. I don't think they ever turn them off or if they do it's slowly decreasing the voltage and the opposite for on.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And we all complained about the heaters to keep refrigerators from getting condensation.
(Not aimed at anyone, just at the whole thread.)

Seems to me that if you come to an intersection with a light and the snow is obscuring a smart person would want to stop. So maybe this is just another darwin example.
I'd forgotten about that. You're totally correct.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

This hit sci.engr.lighting today also, but the discussion was less silly there.
For one thing, there was even mention of statistics for number of crashes and body count to be attributable to snow-obscured LED traffic signals, and that was in combination with drivers being incompetent at driving through intersections controlled by snow-disabled LED traffic signals.
It appears to me so far from what was posted in S.E.L. that the crash count tallied so far is around 40 and the body count tallied so far is 1 nationwide through USA throughout its entire history so far with LED traffic signals. Most that I see were in existence for at least a few years already.