A pipe burst; what to do after turning off the water and cleaning up the mess?

You may want to consider that there may be more expensive damage than he is thinking about. You really should not begin repairs until you have contacted the insurance company. If you are sure the damage is minimal and you don't want to use your insurance, then that is fine. If he knows basic plumbing, and how to sweat a pipe joint, he should be OK.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Because the broken pipe can be fixed with a five-dollar item all plumbers carry (think sleeve and clamps). The pipe-repair job takes ten minutes (assuming access to the break).

Unlikely. The original break probably relieved sufficient excess pressure.

Reply to
JerryMouse

As advised, call your insurance company first. If there is any kind of damage that will require tear down and reconstruction call a Public Adjuster. He will assess the damage, provide an estimate of repair costs and deal with the insurance company. Yes you pay him a fee but you will get more than your money's worth. Don't under estimate the damage. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Just one think that no one has said explicitly yet. In exposure to cold, pipes do freeze and burst. But most of the time they just freeze. When it warms up and the ice in the pipes melt, the water starts flowing again normally. In your case the pipe did burst at one point, but that does not mean it burst or will burst anywhere else. If you can isolate the break via shutoff valves, you may be able to turn the water on in other areas of the house. Of course don't do this if you are not going to be there.

Also concerning your response about the power going out: Your radiators are kept warm by a gas or oil fired boiler BUT this boiler depends on electricity for its operation. If your electricity went out your radiators would not produce any heat and the pipes would have frozen, no matter whether your turned the heat down or not.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

I think the compressed air is an excellent idea. However, it would take some rigging to get it to work. If they can make it work, it would be ideal.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Blame the toddler. Musta happened when he was in charge?

At the moment, enough with the blame. You figured out that no heat means frozen pipes. And you told anyone who is reading, thus saving everyone else the same fate.

You've had some excellent advice on finding leaks. Calling a plumber is also an excellent idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And the radiator lines might have frozen too.... just call me "little ray of sunshine".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for your advice - where do you get an air compressor? Can you rent one?

Reply to
hanwell

Yes, I imagine you could rent a small portable unit, such as used by roofers. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
hanwell

Oh, sure. Buy it and have for other jobs. HD probably has an on-line catalog.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

OK, there seems to be some big blockage in the stack from the toilet on the second floor. When it is flushed it all backs up in the tub and toilet and spills out the ceiling of the first floor. No broken pipe is apparent anywhere. My husband has tried pouring boiling water down the bowl, and many things to try to thaw the pipe. If we found non-toxic antifreeze and poured that in could it help?

Thanks.

Speedy Jim wrote:

outside,

simply

Reply to
hanwellmuir

If indeed it is a frozen stack (rare), you may have to wait until the house warms up enough. RV Antifreeze (any auto parts store) is non-toxic, but I'll be surprised if it does anything. Boiling water in the bowl may crack the bowl.

May have to pull the toilet up and run a snake down the drain.

Did water spill out of the bowl onto the floor? If not, how did water leak thru the ceiling.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks, Jim.

My husband suspects the stack is blocked or frozen because when water is run in both the bathtub and the toilet the water will not go down the drain - it gets to the stack and backs up.

He thinks the bathtub and toilet overflowed due to the blockage and that's how water leaked through the ceiling.

Reply to
hanwellmuir

There are traps in both lines, which would freeze..

Reply to
Chuck

I think your husband is wrong, and it is not your fault.

When i leave for more than 24 hrs. In one minute I can close the main incomming with a 1/2 turn ball valve open a house drain and open all sinks, showers and flush the toilets, leaving the house empty and freeze proof to all but extremes. For 35$ I have a freeze sensor that calls me if the furnace breaks and temps go to 42f.

It is Not your fault babe, It is his lack of planing understanding of water catastrophies. Water damage is Hell, but can be minimised by knoweledge ....

Reply to
m Ransley

Good to know, thanks - how does the freeze sensor notify you if you're out of town?

Reply to
hanwell