A pipe burst; what to do after turning off the water and cleaning up the mess?

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If indeed it is a frozen stack (rare), you may have to wait until the house warms up enough. RV Antifreeze (any auto parts store) is non-toxic, but I'll be surprised if it does anything. Boiling water in the bowl may crack the bowl.
May have to pull the toilet up and run a snake down the drain.
Did water spill out of the bowl onto the floor? If not, how did water leak thru the ceiling.
Jim
Thanks, Jim.
My husband suspects the stack is blocked or frozen because when water is run in both the bathtub and the toilet the water will not go down the drain - it gets to the stack and backs up.
He thinks the bathtub and toilet overflowed due to the blockage and that's how water leaked through the ceiling.
On 23 Jan 2005 16:32:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

There are traps in both lines, which would freeze..
I think your husband is wrong, and it is not your fault.
When i leave for more than 24 hrs. In one minute I can close the main incomming with a 1/2 turn ball valve open a house drain and open all sinks, showers and flush the toilets, leaving the house empty and freeze proof to all but extremes. For 35$ I have a freeze sensor that calls me if the furnace breaks and temps go to 42f.
It is Not your fault babe, It is his lack of planing understanding of water catastrophies. Water damage is Hell, but can be minimised by knoweledge ....
Good to know, thanks - how does the freeze sensor notify you if you're out of town?

a. Lose the husband who is threatening divorce over this. No one needs an asshole like him in their lives.
b. Call your insurance company. They will help you out. This has happened countless times before.
c. Learn from it.
d. Don't forget A.
Sam, I've got to set you straight about Point A. My husband is the best guy you'll ever meet (how many other guys would work from home so they could take care of the baby while the wife goes to school?). I don't blame him for being upset since a) it was a stupid thing to do and b) he's the one who's ultimately going to have to deal with it.
I know you aren't asking me, but:
"how many other guys would work from home so they could take care of the baby while the wife goes to school?"

As far as him being upset - that's cool, he has a right to be upset.

Dunno if that last post came out or not (Google). Anyway, what I meant to say was: He has a right to be upset: just not at you.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't feel bad, if you were a COMPLETE idiot you would not have come here for advice. :-)
As noted, the first stop is the insurance company and the second the plumber. Don't bother with and serous clean up until the plumber is done and you have talked with the insurance company.
I hope that the fact that your don't live there full time does not cause any insurance issues.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Thanks, Joseph. The problem is how to find a good plumber? My husband has not had great experiences with them in the past so he plans to come back and fix the problem himself as soon as we get about 5 days in a row of above zero temperatures.
And, what are you to do in the meantime? No water for you I suppose?
I'm going back to Montreal tonight so it won't be a problem.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You may want to consider that there may be more expensive damage than he is thinking about. You really should not begin repairs until you have contacted the insurance company. If you are sure the damage is minimal and you don't want to use your insurance, then that is fine. If he knows basic plumbing, and how to sweat a pipe joint, he should be OK.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

As advised, call your insurance company first. If there is any kind of damage that will require tear down and reconstruction call a Public Adjuster. He will assess the damage, provide an estimate of repair costs and deal with the insurance company. Yes you pay him a fee but you will get more than your money's worth. Don't under estimate the damage. MLD

Just one think that no one has said explicitly yet. In exposure to cold, pipes do freeze and burst. But most of the time they just freeze. When it warms up and the ice in the pipes melt, the water starts flowing again normally. In your case the pipe did burst at one point, but that does not mean it burst or will burst anywhere else. If you can isolate the break via shutoff valves, you may be able to turn the water on in other areas of the house. Of course don't do this if you are not going to be there.

Also concerning your response about the power going out: Your radiators are kept warm by a gas or oil fired boiler BUT this boiler depends on electricity for its operation. If your electricity went out your radiators would not produce any heat and the pipes would have frozen, no matter whether your turned the heat down or not.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Blame the toddler. Musta happened when he was in charge?
At the moment, enough with the blame. You figured out that no heat means frozen pipes. And you told anyone who is reading, thus saving everyone else the same fate.
You've had some excellent advice on finding leaks. Calling a plumber is also an excellent idea.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus