A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

This one is hilarious. It's on a Linux centric site, written by a Linux zealot yet because he tells the truth about Linux, admirable, it really turns into a "why on earth would I want to run Linux" post. Only he doesn't get it. Like I said, hilarious.

This part is hysterical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A couple of hours a day and after a few months? Is he f****ng kidding? Most people don't last a day with Linux after trying it. Linux is that bad.

"The truth is that, at first, it will be hard, and you will encounter many issues. Prepare to search the Internet for many tutorials, join forums of the Linux distribution you're migrating to and ask questions on how to do various things. My suggestion is to install Linux on a different computer, or use a dual-boot setup - though many will encounter issues with that - and access it from time to time,

1-2 hours per day, and after a few months, you will know if you can really make the switch."
Reply to
Tomas
[snip]

I did have one problem with dual boot (this was on a BIOS system, not UEFI). In this case, it seemed to be Windows at fault. Some Windows programs write over the disk boot track, where GRUB is installed.

I can't prove it, but strongly suspect some program's anti-usability feature ("product activation").

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Does anyone know if there exists some decent screencasting software for Linux?

Reply to
jeremywalmartprescottaz

Try these

Kent Dorfman

There's a list here too.

But this is not an easy topic. If you're picky, you can always find something wrong with the programs. For example, the ones that do heavy compression, the captured image might look "too soft". The ones that do no compression, the data rate is too high. Or the lip sync is broken. Or there's no sound. Or if you make an AVI file, if the file is bigger than 4GB, it gets corrupted (only FFMPEG works right).

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I would love to see greater capabilities than currently exist on Linux: things like being able to, in post production:

  • Hide or show the mouse / keystrokes
  • Show clicks with inversion or other visual aids
  • Resize the mouse pointer and even replace it with a different image
  • Be able to snap the canvas size to a window
  • Be able to blur out sensitive data

These are things I do on a regular basis and I have found no solution for them on Linux.

Reply to
Snit

Brian Reay wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

VS is a grotesque beast that gets ever more bloated and unstable with each release.

I've had Visual Studio 2013 crash on me (reliably) when setting two breakpoints that would get hit in different threads.

Good work, man.

Heh, he left out "Windows":

Reply to
Chris Ahlstrom

There's certainly nothing wrong with using whatever works best for you, regardless if it's open- or closed-source. OSS is never going to be the best choice in all situations.

FOSS does not need the charity of "zealots" to succeed. It only needs something resembling a level playing-field in the market.

Reply to
chrisv

Wow... you are sounding like me.

Which it has. If the open source community would get its act together and make a desktop product that competes well it would make a huge dent in the market. The denial of the zealots works against this.

Reply to
Snit

I know it will do no good but I will say one more time, Linux is not in the "market", it is FREE.

Reply to
Wildman

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 23:15:37 GMT, Wildman Gave us:

"Here's yer sign..."

Exactly. Good one.

I like the one where the cop shows up after a trucker gets his trailer stuck under an overpass and asks "Did you get your truck stuck?"

The driver, without missin' a beat.... says "No, I was deliverin' this here overpass and ran out of gas." Here's yer sign. Hehehehehe So funny.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It is in the market - it comes on computers you can buy.

But even outside of that, without being pedantic, to say it is one of the choices in the market is fine by me, even if it is a free choice you can get.

Reply to
Snit

Yes, I know. That makes up some of that 1.5% crap I am always hearing about. Aside from pirating, 100% of Windows and OSx that is out there was sold in the market in one way or another and none of it was free. There is no rationale for saying that Linux in the market.

You need to look up the word market. You apparently have no clue as to what it actually means.

Reply to
Wildman

OSX is now free but can't be installed on non Mac hardware. While we are that I have downloaded different images in order to try it in virtualbox and none worked. Seems that it is easier to install it on bare metal (non Mac) then in VM.... While I have iMac in the office I just wanted to try it in VM, but alas virtualbox support is very lousy.

Reply to
Melzzzzz

Well, OS X *updates* are free. You cannot get OS X, though, outside of a package deal where you get hardware and software - the full system.

OS X runs fine in Parallels on a Mac... so you can run older versions of OS X.

From what I have seen and read, VirtualBox in general does not work as well as Parallels and VMWare... but it is also free.

Reply to
Snit

Depends on how you are defining the market. If you look up the phrase "open source market" you will see many use it as I did: to mean how it does in the "free market" - how many people use a product (or what percent).

You not only are pushing a semantic argument, and not one based on reasoning or logic, you are doing so while apparently not knowing the actual meaning of the word market as it was used:

----- A demand for a particular commodity or service: -----

----- demand for a particular product or commodity -----

Reply to
Snit

Yeah, I think I have to use VMWare but alas don't wont to buy it just to try OSX...

Reply to
Melzzzzz

Use Virtual player instead. It is free.

Reply to
GreyCloud

What you have seen and read is balderdash

Generally VirtualBox runs better than VMware and has more options. There is currently only one area where VMware perfroms slightly better. The speed of the virtual network is a little higher than that of VirtualBox.

Reply to
Peter Köhlmann

That doesn't mean it can't reduce sales of products in the market which are not free.

I acquire/build machines without an OS and install Linux in the main. That is a number of copies of MS Windows not sold.

Reply to
Brian Reay