A Perfect Case For NOT Using Linux.

Brian Reay wrote this copyrighted missive and expects royalties:

Copies not sold, maybe, but what about license? Does the vendor still do the volume deal in order to get "cheaper" Windows licenses?

Or is that "proprietary information", sealed under a "non-disclousre deal"?

Reply to
Chris Ahlstrom

It will sure do you no good to deal with the "Snit" thing. *All* it does is lie.

The fact that it's free does not matter.

Reply to
chrisv

Yes. You can ONLY run MacOS on a Mac.

You can kind of hack your way around that with a custom hardware build but it's even more bothersome than trying to build a Linux box in the early

90s.

That's not been my experience. Although VirtualBox is more than adequate for "light duty" work. Admittedly my experience may be soured by the whatever Ubuntu has done with their build of Virtualbox.

On the other hand, I don't see this being at all an issue for pedestrian Apple users. It's likely that their only real objection to VirtualBox is that it doesn't afford them the opportunity of feeling superior by way of demonstrating that they are more willing to waste money.

Reply to
JEDIDIAH

Right: at least in any supported way. Maybe even in any legal way - not sure about that.

OK.

What? You are not even trying to make sense any more. I mean, really, what the hell are you even talking about?

Oh. Just trying to get my goat now that I pointed out how wrong your last guess was:

JEDIDIAH: ----- | Meanwhile OS X offers things like Automator and AppleScript / | Script ...which benefits YOU personally how much?

You've probably never touched the thing, or even touched anyone else's work that's a result of those tools.

I get a lot of mileage out of bash, perl, and PHP. Some sort of script generator for rubes would probably slow me down if anything while not adding much of any benefit. ----- I gave you a lot of examples - many of which the technologies you speak of would not work with (well, at least not on Linux, on OS X you could use those in conjunction with with Automator / AppleScript). I went into far more detail elsewhere, but those examples included:

  • Resizing / moving windows for screencasting purposes
  • Resizing images / making thumbnails
  • Setting meta-data on PDFs
  • Rotating tabs in Safari
  • Going up a directly in Safari
  • Getting all images from a webpage
  • Opening all local links from a webpage
  • Educational tools to teach how to say numbers
  • Opening a second instance of a program (not the norm on OS X)
  • My much-discussed bot
  • Folder actions to copy or organize files
  • Mail PDFs with a custom name from any print dialog
  • Open sets of applications

All sorts of things... and all done by a non-programmer. Your lack of response is deafening.

Reply to
Snit

Yes, yes... all my unquotable lies. Tons of them every day. One of the longest and more boring on-going gags of COLA.

Well, it does help get is user base up... if it cost what Windows did it would be even lower than the 1.5% or so it is now.

Reply to
Snit

No idea, sorry.

I either build machines from parts or use 'road kill' which come with no OS- one of the beauties of Linux is it runs so well on older, lower spec, machines. Plus I like tinkering. The exception is laptops, where I tend to buy new or at least 'repurpose' from within the family. For example, my youngest wanted a MacBook as a graduation present so her Windows 8 machine (which she hates) will almost certainly end up with Linux on it.

Having said that, she recently used my Linux machine for something (I talked her through it over the phone) she needed to do urgently and it was her first experience of Linux. She commented how straight forward it was to use etc. I can see that, while her 'old' laptop will almost certainly end up with Linux on it, it won't be on my lap.

Reply to
Brian Reay