A new toilet seat woe!

Page 1 of 3
Daughter gave her dad the new toilet seat yesterday. We haven't installed it yet. I just went to use my toilet and noticed that something looked very wrong. Turns out that the lid is attached by two screws on either side. Somehow, the one on the right side came out enough to where the lid is now loose and somehow it is also allowing the seat to slide around. It's really bad and I can't wait for one to come that I order. So... Looks like I will be stuck buying whatever they have at Fred Meyers. It will likely be a soft one since daughter prefers those and she will be with me when we go. The one that was on there was giving me fits anyway as one of the bolts that holds the seat down was always coming loose.
Oh and I did try to put the screw back in but it seems not to want to go anywhere. I suspect this is the cheapest seat possible. It's pretty thin plastic.

installed

looked very

side.

now

really

I will

a soft

The

that

go

thin

Can you take the seat and screws to a hardware store and ask for help? Or if not, take one of the other screws?

Can you take the seat and screws to a hardware store and ask for help? Or if not, take one of the other screws?
Nope. It's not the screws that hold the seat to the toilet. It's some sort of headless screw that holds the lid to the seat. It was stuck. I have since replaced it. Discovered that both the replacement one and the one I put on husband's toilet are both made by Bemis. They're soft seats and not good. Only difference is that his was a PITA to install. Rather than putting the screws through the hinges on the back, you put those in first. Then snap the seat on then lock it. You can then remove to seat when you want to clean it. Who does that?
And now after daughter begged me for a soft seat and I finally got one, she says that she liked the other seat better. So... In a month or two I will look for a plastic seat. In pink. She wants pink. I saw one that got high ratings from all but three people. Two had color complaints. The other said that the seat was too flexible. That was the problem we had with our really old one. Thin and flexible. It didn't break. It just felt like it would.
On 6/17/2014 3:05 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

That would be me.
A few times a year it comes off, goes into the laundry sink where is is cleaned perfectly with diluted bleach. . So is the toilet porcelain.

Really? Hmmm... I've been asking people about this and nobody has admitted to pulling their seat off. I can't use bleach. Causes me terrible respiratory problems.
On 6/17/2014 3:05 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

Are you trolling?
Good grief, a cheap, soft, *shocking pink* (O_0) toliet seat causes a post to a repair group??
LMAOF
John

My daughter's a teenager. She wants pink. I don't really care. Nobody sees our bathroom but the two of us and the cats.
On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:26:44 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

Look at the no-slam seats. It does not come in pink nor is it soft. I suppose you could glue pink carpet to it if you like a no-slam seat.

I don't think we need the no slam. But I do have one of those rug covers on the top now. That prolly muffles it when we slam. If we slam. I don't think we do.
On 06/16/2014 07:52 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

I buy the cheapest toilet seat I can find. Plastic coated wood. Less then ten bucks.
Usually last ten years or so.

Thanks. Amazon has some. May go for that next time. I don't know why but the one in husband's bathroom is more comfortable. Mine doesn't seem as cushy.
On 06/18/2014 07:23 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

The cheap seats require the user to provide their own padding!

Well, I'm SOL then. All of my padding is on my tummy and um...up a lil' higher. But the ones I saw that were plastic over wood are advertised as "comfy".

I probably would if it were easy.

Well they claim this is easy. I suppose if I took the seat off all the time, I would remember how to put it back on. But I haven't really seen the need to clean under the hinges so...
On 6/18/2014 8:25 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

The Kohler is very easy. It is not under the hinges, but around the hinge itself that is difficult to clean. Not done every week, but once in a while it is good to get everything. If y ou can't use bleach, any good cleaner will do, of course.
I like to dump a couple of ounces in the bowl once in a while too. Keeps it perfect. I hate see anything, even mineral buildup on a toilet bowl.

I mainly just clean the bowl. Once in a while I'll take a wipe to the rest of us. Only females use my bathroom so that might be the difference.

installed

looked

side.

is now

It's

like I

be a

The

that

to go

pretty thin

Or

some sort

have

one I

and not

first.

you

Ed & Micky.

one, she

will

got high

other

our

like it

better question is what did they say when she tried to return it?

I didnt' know they made that. That might be what I have and would account for why it didn't break when I stood on it at 250 plus.
Less