A New Leaf....

Page 2 of 2
On Wednesday, February 10, 2016 at 12:32:58 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:

Thanks for the link, but that doesn't really fit the situation I was describing.
Article: GDO without automatic reverse or where automatic feature was broken.
Me: Properly working automatic reverse (implied) set at the maximum downforce.
The question is about the downforce. The downforce setting will force the door past some level of obstruction. The question is whether or not it can be set strong enough so that the door doesn't reverse before the death of a teenager or young adult occurs.
On 2/6/2016 10:51 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

IME, the photocells aren't worth their cost. They really only detect things that are ON the garage floor IN the path of the beam.
E.g., a kids wagon or bicycle typically won't trip the detector (the light shines under or through). The same is true of vehicles (unless their front or rear axles are in the path.
Openers that sense closing force (reversing when the feel "resistance") also have too heavy of a hand in sensing (i.e., they'd crease the hood of a vehicle parked beneath it). The door mechanism would have to be critically damped to make them practical (at very low forces).
Don Y wrote:

I agree with everything you say Don, and I am certainly aware that a lot of those photoelectric sensors end up being mounted on the garage ceiling.
Probably a lot of them are up there because the homeowner who installed the opener was too lazy to string and fasten the leads from the opener's location to the both sides of the bottom of the door frame and sometimes might also have to add a couple of pieces of wood to mount the units on so they were located properly. (Like I had to.)
But, since my luck is so bad that if someone left me a cemetery in their will, people would stop dying, I just didn't want to risk the remote possibility that someone would get seriously injured in a freak accident being smashed by the door while it was closing and I'd get nailed for deliberately ignoring the installation instructions. So, I installed them "the right way" and will put up with whatever minor annoyances they may cause me in the future.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 2/6/2016 1:33 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Ditto. Despite the fact that the included "brackets" SUGGESTED they should just clip onto the door rails! (didn't fit)

I installed them on our opener as well. I'm just commenting that they (so far) have been more of a nuisance than a help.
Garage door has "stiffener ribs" that protrude about 3" into the garage from the plane of the door. Not used to the "fit" of the new car in the garage, yet, so always fear I've not BACKED IN (SWMBO doesn't like backing OUT!) far enough to clear those "ribs". Each time I close the door I half expect to hear them slap the front of the car as the door comes down (the photocell doing nothing to prevent this!)
As you said, anything you've LEFT (or that has shifted position) in the path causes the opener to complain. Last time, it was the rope for the cutting blade on the pole saw that had dropped into the path. Of course, doesn't cause a problem when you *open* the door. So, you're a bit surprised when the door decides not to *close*! ("Huh? It opened just a minute ago; why isn't it CLOSING, now??")
Also, it appears to "see" more than just the direct line between emitter and detector. When I command the door closed and then try to run OUT under the closing door -- taking care to "step over" the light path -- it often "sees me" and reverses, even though I KNOW that I haven't broken the light path.
I have issues with "safety devices" that have (significant) limitations. E.g., the "cross traffic alert" on the car (tells you when other cars are approaching from either side as you are backing out) sometimes sees pedestrians; sometimes not; usually sees oncoming cars; sometimes not; etc. I.e., it's not something that you can RELY upon.
It would be like walking with crutches -- that *sometimes* collapse under your weight! :-/

I mounted my photocells about 2 feet off the floor. That way if I don't get the truck all the way in it may see it. The garage is only about 2 feet longer than the truck and I have to pull almost top the wall if I want to get the door shut and maybe walk around the truck with the garage door closed.
I usually have a push broom hanging on a peg board and drive the truck so I just bump it to let me know when I am far enough in.
On Sat, 6 Feb 2016 15:41:46 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

Like a sick or unconscious child. Sensors to detect lack of forward mostion are too complicated to rely on completely.

Neither children nor adults are 2 feet thick.
You folks get me, all worried about your little red wagon and ignoring why the photosensors are included, to protect children.

Micky wrote:

I've got a lally column in our garage which tells me my car is pulled in the right distance when its right side view mirror is next to that column. A front seat passenger has to get out of the car before I pull in though.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 2/6/2016 1:41 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

That's an idea! (D'oh!) Of course, it opens up a "vulnerability" *below*. But, I suspect there is some "better height" than the 6" that I opted for initially.

In our case, we have something like 10"!
There are stiffener ribs on the inside of the garage door that eat up ~3 inches inside the plane of the garage door.
We back in (SWMBO doesn't like backing OUT, into "traffic") so need to allow space behind the car for the liftgate (otherwise, we'd have to load/unload the vehicle in the driveway!). This requires 13" for the liftgate (which swings BACK as it lifts UP).
We try to allow a couple (literally "2 or 3") of extra inches behind the car so we can STAND there (liftgate open) to load/unload (then, step aside as the liftgate opens/closes).

I mounted a tennis ball on a string hanging so that it hits the driver's side mirror as you back in. There's also a dotted line on the backup camera display that we can use to gauge how close we are to the objects behind the vehicle while backing in. The two "indicators" (camera and ball) have to be in agreement before I'll let the door close! (i.e., what happens if the camera is ever knocked out of alignment?? :> )
A neighbor has a "mat" of sorts that he drives over as he enters his garage. The mat has a "lip" (like a parking curb) on it that impedes the motion of the car past the "sweet spot". A nice idea but I don't know what keeps it from MOVING (or BEING moved!) when the vehicle's weight isn't holding it in place!
On Sat, 06 Feb 2016 17:14:35 -0700, Don Y

A 2x4 on the floor works for me.
On 2/6/2016 8:39 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Again, what keeps it from moving? I.e., car is not in garage, you walk by it and trip over it. Now it's not in the correct spot...
On 02/06/2016 08:54 PM, Don Y wrote:

A Hilti DX-2?

Or just a couple dabs of liquid nails. Actually, I don't even use 2x4's any more. Did that for my wife, and she doesn't need them now either. There's always something to tap, like a ladder or lawnmower handle.
rbowman posted for all of us...

+1 Good one!
--
Tekkie

Don Y wrote:

When I started this thread I said that the leaf was stuck to the bottom edge of the garage door. That wasn't a very accurate description. The leaf was actually stuck to the top of the stiffener rib at the bottom of the garage door. It reached inward enough to interrupt the photobeam which was located just beyond the didtance that rib extended towards the inside of the garage.
Jeff

On 2/9/2016 3:55 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Sigh. Another perfectly good thread gone to naught.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

In the summer it will be spiders.
On 2/6/2016 4:47 PM, dadiOH wrote:

With me, sometimes birds. Birds will be trying to nest in the garage and fly out when door closes causing it to reopen.
Does anyone know when the color coding of the linear door springs was started? I also have had to replace one spring that was from before the color coding era that we have today. I chose one based on the diameter of the spring material itself.