A Nasty Toilet Problem

Every once in a while the toilett will act up and I would fix it but today I have a problem that's not so easily cured: I hear the water running but there's no water in the tank and so of course, the toit won't flush. Does anyone know where the water is going to and, or, how to fix this problem?
Ron
Unless it's running all over your floor it's going down through flapper valve, which probably needs replacement. Possibly fill valve mechanism as well. Fluidmaster $9.95 approx. Turn off water first!
Sev wrote:

Oh, joy... I don't mind doing electrical work but I can't stand plumbing chores, Lol. But do you know of a way to flush the john before I can get a new flapper?
Ron
But do you know of a way to flush the john

Slowly dump a 5 gal pail of water into the bowl

Yep, this works. Did it with gray water during the drought a couple of years ago.
Rudy wrote:

Thanks for the help. :-)
Ron
see also: www.fluidmaster.com