A Modern Faucet Experience

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 25 May 2009 14:20:40 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

A certain amount of experience.

No offence, but that's a naive question.
There are all manner of manufacturers that have all manner of cooperative agreements with retailers and the like. Volume counts for a bunch, but there is also cooperative advertising and Gawd-knows what-all other types of scratch-my-back/I'll scratch-your-back arrangements.
You think Moen would list me in their sources if I bought a dozen faucets and ran a local ad? But they'd get Homey-Flogging-Depots outlets on there muy pronto.

A hi-margin outlet ...

If part of it worked for you, that's great.
Do you think it'd work for everybody in the US? I'll admit I don't know, myself. It's not my expectation.
I ran their sources, made a list (3 hardware stores + big boxes). I'll start calling around soon's as the holiday is over (tomorrow).

Moen and Delta both used, and still do use their own different patented washerless technology, no compression.

Sink holes are 4" apart. So a three hole kitchen sink needs a faucet without a side spray. If you have a four hole sink, you can get a faucet with a side spray. or just fill the hole with a soap/lotion dispenser or a cock hole cover if need be.

The internals of a Moen are all the same, but be wary of chinsy handles and also large tinny spouts that look like they must be heavy brass but they can't be at such a low cost. I've used the Castleby before. It's been out a couple years. If you want the old standard heavy duty Moen, then look for a Legend. Very little is made just like it was in the old days, and literally everybody is outsourcing to the outer limits.

This is the one I bought. The thing's built like a tank.
http://www.moen.com/ecatalog/detail/camerist/chrome-one-handle-low-arc-kitchen-faucet/_/R-CONSUMER%3A7825
Found the receipt. It sold for $104.00 at a dealer I found through Moen's "where to buy" search tool.

I dunno I need the heaviest they make. Just something good and solid. I will, however, price the Legend.
Would appreciate a brief mention if you observed any problems with the Castleby. The one on Ebay expired (0 bids) just as I was logging on. If he re-lists, it's conceivable I could get a good price on it.
Much thanks for your help with this.
Will

Castleby is light duty, but may be OK for you if it's not heavy use. Just remember, those spouts are tubes, not cast brass. So that faucet weighs a lot less than it appears on the E-bay web-page. You mind fills in the blanks, and you envision a good thing from a good picture. The point I was making is something that is OK for the elderly for example may not last two weeks with a typical suburban family of five, so you'll have to decide for yourself what works for you.
HTH, Lefty

Thanks. It's just me and the dawg. Use it 3 times/day, wash a few dishes, etc.
I'd damn well compare weights of Moen units to my old faucet etc if I could find weight in the specs. Pretty sure weight is the missing spec (I looked at all the online doc.). Guess I can call their 800 # to get the info.
Cheers, Will

I guess you have to try and figure out what is a "normal price" for an item, so you can recognize when a competing item is suspiciously cheap. I use Moen faucets as my guideline. My Moen kitchen faucet cost about $100, and I consider anything much cheaper than that to be junk. Granted, there may be cheaper items which are decent, but since I'm not a plumber, I don't have the opportunity to install lots of different faucets to see if I'm right.
So, I buy Moen and be done with it. I have better things to do than dick around with an installation more than once.

Keep it as simple as possible! Which is why we have avoided anything but separate hot and cold taps, now, for everything. Simple easy to adjust, few/no problems Our one and only experience with a mixing type faucet for the kitchen sink, when we built this second house in 1970 was sort of OK; but the faucet unit only lasted about 12 years before giving trouble. The lever that adjusted the Hot/cold ratio got loose and then the pin securing it broke off! Replaced it with double taps to as single bib which can swing over either of half of the the double sink unit. We used to cater; a lot of dishes been washed through that sink! After 39 years am about to replace the bathroom basin taps, mainly for appearance, (although they work fine if you keep the washers and seats in good condition. Think we paid $15 for them) but also because am replacing the 15 year old sink itself. Almost fooled myself; replacing the bathroom fiberglass/bath/shower unit some 8-10 years ago found that it was designed for a mixer valve, darn it, and had to fiddle a bit to locate the hot-cold tap handles so as to be on flat surfaces! Worked fine since though. Yep; simple is best.