A Modern Faucet Experience

Page 1 of 2
20 years ago, I needed a new kitchen faucet, stopped by the wholsaler, picked up a decent 2-handle with sprayer ($30). Don't even remember how the old was hooked up, put some copper stuff together, threaded it up and sweated 4 joints.
That old faucet was doing funny stuff, looked muy mucho long in the tooth last week. HD had a Glacier Bay 808-394G on sale for $40. Had 'brass waterways', looked like a comparable unit, so I got one, a couple in-line shut-offs and flexable connectors.
Spent Wed. afternoon knocking rust in my eyes with the basin wrench etc. Got it all in, tested my connections. Turned it on. And the hot leaked. Also goes Clunk-Clunk when I open or increase flow of a valve, hot ot cold. No such noise for 20 years with the old eqp't.
So I employ an allen wrench to remove the hot handle, and remove the cartridge.
The thing looks like garbage. Any experience with these or similar? How much $ for a decent faucet these days? I haven't bought/installed any such eqpt for many years.
Thx, Will
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

FWIW, I installed what I think was a similar faucet a couple of months ago, and it worked just fine. Maybe you got a lemon.

It is garbage. The faucet you paid $30.00 for years ago is now $80.00 wholesale for chrome. HD and Lowes are nuts for customer satisfaction though. They will give your money back, no questions asked. Get your self a 80-90 dollar chrome Delta or Moen and you'll do much better. Those faucets have the same guts inside as they did 20 years ago when you bought your previous faucet. That in itself speaks volumes, and due to their competitive nature, they probably both have lifetime warranties now. Make sure you look for it. BTW. Galcier Bay and Price Pfister probably have lifetime warranties too, but you'll wear yourself out using them. :-( Also, if you want a finish other than chrome, plan on paying a good bit more, otherwise you'll take home more garbage with a nice look to it.
HTH, Lefty

THIS.
I don't know if Delta or Moen really are as good as they used to be, but I wouldn't buy anything else because the rest seems to be pretty much garbage. Paid about $100 a few years ago for a new Moen kitchen faucet with sprayer hose. Actually had an issue with the sprayer hose connection leaking, but once that was resolved it's been trouble free. The guy at the plumbing store specifically recommended Moen over Delta; not sure why.
Or, if you're willing to toss me a couple bucks for shipping and beer, I have the perfectly good 20+ year old single handle Delta faucet that I removed; it was removed because a) I had to replace the sink anyway and b) SWMBO wanted the sprayer, which it didn't have a connection for.
nate
on 5/22/09 12:29 PM N8N said the following:
message

How is American Standard these days?

Called Delta--no problem, new replacement parts to be shipped out, including unrelated parts (seat and springs). MLD

Scrub the stem area with a toothbrush and warm vinegar before installing the new parts. Based on my experience, built-up minerals seem to abrade the large O-rings. The vinegar will clean out any caked minerals.

MLD
Delta makes/made a very good product. They moved there production to Mexico. We no longer buy or install any Deltas.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Check.
The thing is, the old one wasn't name-brand. Just something they were selling to contractors. It wasn't fancy, but it **Wasn't Junk** (witness 20 years use). I thought maybe the Glacier Bay might be similar.

That was part of the decision to buy.

Check.

But they don't use "compression" valves anymore?

Chrome is OK with me.
Does anybody know if all these "4 Hole Application" faucets are 8 " center of hot to center of cold?
Are (absolutely) -all- the Moens OK? I almost bought a Moen Castleby 7905 on Ebay this morn for about $45+10.
The Glacier Bay will OUT. I dunno when, but it's going back to HD.
Thx, Will

Who cares what they use? Moen faucets work, and so do Deltas, according to people here who are happy with them.

The Moen web site has literature online for all their models so you can check these things before buying.

Do you live in or near a big enough town where you could find a plumbing supply store by doing a google search using your town's name and the words "yellow pages"? When I bought my last Moen, a specialty store was $20 cheaper than Home Depot and $10 cheaper than an eBay vendor.
On Sat, 23 May 2009 14:22:39 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I dunno. Anybody who takes an interest in such stuff? :-)

And I'll likely get one of 'em.

Or so you assume.
Wanna take a peek, see if you can find the 8" spec?
http://www.moen.com/ecatalog/detail/castleby/chrome-two-handle-high-arc-kitchen-faucet/_/R-CONSUMER%3A7905

"yellow pages" would get me Gawd-knows what all. There's 2 plumbing supply stores locally, I've already checked 1 (no Moen).
What "specialty"? A closeout store??

Two clicks - First on the Guides tab, then on the Product Specification link.

http://www.moen.com/ecatalog/detail/castleby/chrome-two-handle-high-arc-kitchen-faucet/_/R-CONSUMER%3A7905
Another person answered this. No reason to repeat it.

I know this will probably sound crazy, but do you think this might be helpful?
http://www.moen.com/buymoen/W2B/index.jsp

A store that specializes in one category, like plumbing or electrical.
When you view Moen's products online, use the sort filter to list items based on price, lowest to highest. Otherwise, you'll probably faint.
On Sun, 24 May 2009 07:26:23 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Mea Culpa. Expected to find it under "tech specs".

Didn't know it existed. It turned up a few possibilities.

That I had already done.

Was worth a peek. They got more kit. faucets than I can shake a stick at.
Thanks, Will

???????????
It would be rare indeed to find ANY consumer oriented business that did not have a "Where to buy" or "Find a store" link on its web site.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Meguiar's doesn't, or at least I couldn't find it... (sticks in my head because I needed a new backing plate for my buffer, but didn't want to wait to mail order)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Maybe they sell to wholesalers, not directly to retail stores, and don't have a handle on where their products actually end up.
On Sun, 24 May 2009 15:38:25 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"

For all I knew, that might've been the situation with Moen.
In any case, where the vendor chooses to steer ya is often to the hi-margin outlets and not to where you can find the best price.
Will

Steering: Interesting claim.
1) What is the claim based on?
2) By the time the product gets to the retailer, Moen has already made its money. Why would they care what the retailer sells it for?
3) Where Moen sent me was a two-part business. Fancy shmancy bath & kitchen showroom in the front of the building. Dirt-cheap plumbing supply in the back of the building. Cheaper than any other source I could find locally or online.