a letter to those who voted for Bush

Page 2 of 10
OBVIOUSLY OT AND NOT WORTH READING. POOR FANATICS JUST GOTTA BE BLAIMING ALL THE TIME; THEY SHOULD GET A LIFE.
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:04:35 -0400, ndugu wrote:

So, you voted for him, right? That's what "fellow" means here.

Yes.

Which services are those?

The only ones being laughed at are the dimwit Liberals, who can't win an election. LOL! You guys just can't get over that, can ya?

I propose that we continue to slam the door on Liberal Democrats at every opportunity (election). That should do it.

Nope, it's horse shit.
--
All posts that originate from Google Groups are ignored.

The only thing we ever hear from conservatives.

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:33:23 +0000, FDR wrote:

Awwww, you must still be bitter about losing all the elections lately, huh? I guess that's understandable -- nobody wants to be a loser for their entire life. Except fanatic Liberals, of course.
You're an ignorant dipshit, and you bore me.
--
All posts that originate from Google Groups are ignored.
FDR wrote:

Did you ever consider that that's what you use instead of valid thoughts?
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know
Don't Blame Bush for Katrina Christopher Ruddy Monday, Sept. 5, 2005 George Bush and the federal government are not to blame for the disaster we have witnessed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
In fact, the primary responsibility for the disaster response lies with New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco and other local officials.
Yet leading Democrats and their allies in the major media are clearly using this disaster for political purposes and ignoring one obvious fact.
This fact - which needs to be repeated and remembered - is that in our Country, state and local governments have primary responsibility in dealing with local disasters.
The founding fathers devised a federal system of government - one that has served us remarkably well through great disasters that have befallen America over more than two centuries.
But if we believe the major TV networks, George Bush, FEMA and the Republicans in Congress are all to blame for the current nightmare.
Let's remember that FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, was created only in 1979. It was formed to coordinate and focus federal response to major disasters - to "assist" local and state governments.
Common sense suggests that local and state governments are best able to prepare and plan for local disasters.
Is a Washington bureaucrat better suited to prepare for an earthquake in San Francisco, a hurricane in Florida, or a terrorist act in New York?
After the Sept. 11 attacks against the World Trade Center, no one suggested that the Bush administration should have been responsible for New York's disaster response or that federal agents should have been involved in the rescue of those trapped in the buildings.
Last year, four major hurricanes slammed into Florida. Governor Jeb Bush led the disaster response and did a remarkable job, with nothing happening like what we have seen in New Orleans.
The primary response in disasters has always come from local communities and state governments.
First responders and the manpower to deal with emergencies come from local communities: police, fire and medical. Under our federal system, these local departments answer to local authorities, not those in Washington. These first responders are not even under federal control, nor do they have to follow federal orders.
In addition to local responders, every state in the Union has a National Guard.
State National Guards answer first to the governor of each state, not to the president. The National Guard exists not to defend one state from an invasion by another state, but primarily for emergencies like the one we have witnessed in New Orleans and in other areas impacted by Katrina.
(See: http://www.arng.army.mil/about_us/organization/command_structure.asp )

Considering his approval rating is at an all time low, people are listening.

As of march 1st, the Department of Homeland Security (of which FEMA is part) is supposed to assume primary responsibility for things like this: http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/theme_home2.jsp It is clear that they did not do what, according to their own website, they needed to do: "... providing a coordinated, comprehensive federal response to any large-scale crisis and mounting a swift and effective recovery effort."

Seems to me that the recovery effort is going fine. It's the RESCUE effort that was screwed up.

We Failed You?
Anne Rice blames America, not local officials.
"To my country I want to say this: During this crisis you failed us. You looked down on us; you dismissed our victims; you dismissed us. You want our Jazz Fest, you want our Mardi Gras, you want our cooking and our music.
Then when you saw us in real trouble, when you saw a tiny minority preying on the weak among us, you called us "Sin City," and turned your backs."
Novelist and New Orleans resident, Anne Rice.
The answer...
Let me get this straight
Ms. Rice, you live in (what was) a very attractive city which lies below sea level. On one side you have a giant lake; on the other side you have the Gulf of Mexico. Running through the middle is the Mississippi River. All of which are above you.
Preventing those giant bodies of water from flooding and drowning you are levees. These levees are described as "century-old." People have been warning about the devastating effects of a direct hit from a hurricane for decades.
I've heard a great deal of complaint in recent days that the federal government may not have allocated enough money to speed up the upgrades to those levees. This does, however, raise the question of why city and state residents were waiting around for the federal government to send enough money to upgrade this, instead of paying for it themselves. I mean, it was only your homes, businesses, and lives at stake. Perhaps these upgrades would have been expensive. If only this city had some sort of events to attract tourists, from which to collect taxes.
Anyway, your state and local officials decided to spend your tax dollars on something else that they (and presumably you) found more important, and then they waited for the rest of the country to pay for these life-preserving necessities.
Your beloved city and region has a colorful political history, in which there is, oh, a wee bit of corruption. I'm from New Jersey, so I can't throw stones at that glass house. But you guys have managed to pick leaders who give you the worst of both worlds - they're scandal ridden and incompetent in a crisis. Look, Rudy Giuliani might have run around with Judith Nathan before his divorce, but he was a hell of a leader in our darkest hours.
You know the National Review crowd isn't a fan of Pataki, but the man was a rock after 9/11 compared to Governor Weepy I'll-Evacuate-Eventually and Mayor It's-Everybody's-Fault-Except-Mine. Nobody's throwing around the adjective "Churchillian" about any of your officials these days. We didn't pick your local officials; you guys did.
Rice asks, "how many times did Gov. Kathleen Blanco have to say that the situation was desperate? How many times did Mayor Ray Nagin have to call for aid?"
Ahem... What about those buses left unused, less than a mile from the Superdome? JunkYardBlog notes that it's written in the Southeast Louisiana Evacuation Plan that buses are supposed to be used for evacuation of those who don't have personal vehicles.
As JYB observes, "there is something very peculiar about a city and a state that have a plan on the books for years that outlines what to do when a hurricane is about to strike, yet when a hurricane comes roaring in, the responsible officials just chuck the plan and try winging it. Delaying and then winging it in the face of a monstrous Cat 4/5 hurricane is never, ever a good idea, especially for New Orleans."
Ironically, Nagin told CNN, "I need buses, man," when he had plenty sitting around unused before the storm hit. Now they're flooded and useless.
But it's not like state and local officials could have seen this coming (tongue in cheek). They have never had a hurricane bearing down on them before and... oh, wait, there was Hurricane Ivan just last year. And after that dodged bullet, Blanco and Nagin both acknowledged they needed a better evacuation plan.
I would note that we've seen some pretty intense disasters in other parts of the country, like planes crashing into skyscrapers and subsequently collapsing, earthquakes, tornadoes, blizzards, and yet somehow, none of these disasters had the total breakdown of law and order, civil society, etc. Jonah Goldberg's early joke about a Mad-Max style post-apocalyptic tribal anarchy may have been in poor taste, but it has turned out to be nightmarishly prescient.
We failed you? No, oh brilliant creator of Exit to Eden, you failed. You might not think of it this way, but: Your leaders failed to upgrade the levees. You elected a bunch of weepers and blame-shifters who lost their head in a crisis.
Over the past decades, your elected officials have let a criminal element incubate and grow until they ruled the streets, instead of the forces of law and order. In pop culture, a New Orleans thief is always a charming rogue with a devilish smile. In reality, they're a bunch of thugs.
If the number of residents who are looting thugs were such a "tiny minority," we wouldn't have seen this widespread, relentless anarchy.
Madam, a noticeable number of your neighbors saw this disaster as an opportunity to smash a window and run away with a television, an act that reveals much about the inadequacies of the local school system, since that thief won't be enjoying that television with any electricity anytime soon.
I would also note that this is one hell of a police force your local officials hired and that you and your neighbors tolerated. 50 percent turned in their badges during the crisis and quit. Your police superintendent is conceding that some cops were looting.
Just want to refresh your memory - four years ago, New York and Washington, planes falling out of the sky, thousands dead, no idea what the hell is coming next. and the cops, among others, showed up to work.
To save you guys now, I - and a lot of other Americans - will pitch in.
We are witnessing the biggest mobilization of civilian and military rescue and relief crews in history. But I have a sneaking suspicion you're going to want the rest of us to pay for the rebuilding of your city. (In the near future, we're going to have to have a little chat about the wisdom of building below sea level, directly next to large bodies of water.)
And if you're going to come to the rest of us hat in hand, demanding the rest of us clean up after your poor judgment, I'd appreciate a little less "you failed us" and a little more "we've learned our lesson."
Linda Joyce McAnally
I started to think of a well thought out response. But then I decided that you are an idiot and this is the only response you will get from me.
ndugu wrote:

because there is no valid response
DUH........Bush is one of the main evildoers!
read this: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2005-09-10-katrina-contracts_x.htm

NOBODY IS LISTENING

It is hard to come up with a response to Bush hiring a horse show manager. I heard he was thionking of hiring a kid that had a newspaper route, but the kid had to go back to shool.

Fucking Dopey Responder wrote:

Now there's a gem of wisdom.
FDR wrote:

Actually, I heard the kid was still too busy with his route to assume the position. HOwever, The Arabian Horse organiation collapsed amidst fierce allegations of mismanagement and several hefty lawsuits, thus freeing up Brownie to assume different responsibilities.
ndugu wrote:

I remind myself of the alternative (Kerry) and feel much better again .. ... ..
On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 21:36:12 -0400, <<<__ Bb __>>> wrote:

Good point. Ain't that the truth! Luckily, he and his kind don't have much chance of winning any elections any time soon.
--
All posts that originate from Google Groups are ignored.
clipped

No executive I have ever worked with would stand for a mediocre schlep like George. Hire someone with no experience to run the department that has been the focus of four years of planning and reorganization? Did ANYONE in Congress take issue with that before the disaster? You have to be kidding....I knew what was going to happen in NO and I didn't even go to Yale. I am not surprised that patients were left to drown in nursing homes, or that the feds were sitting in Washington waiting for the proper request, in triplicate, until CNN showed them positive proof that voters were getting pissed. The feds have enough choppers to run Bush back and forth to his various residences, but not to drop some food, water and communications equipment into a disaster zone and show their wonderful support for fire fighters and cops? That isn't politics, it is just horrible performance/non-performance of duty. That wasn't a New Orleans or Louisiana disaster, it was a national disaster with the potential for terrorists to move in and finish it off. There were cars and buses all over the place, so I can't blame the mayor for people not moving out. I've had personal experience with idiots who ignore mandatory evacuation for hurricanes.