A Good Finish For Tool Handles?

I have hammers and other tools with painted handles which I would like to refinish.

What might hold up well in the way of an oil finish?

I have used Sea Fin Teak Oil on rocking chair arms, and it is fair, but the finish gums up and turns blackish with use.

Thanks for your help!

Dwight Gibb

Reply to
Dwight

Boiled Linseed oil and terps-- good for metal, wood, fine furniture, axe handles, oars, . . . . .

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thank you Jim.

When I was a kid 70 years ago linseed oil and terps was the standard, and today it still is!

Isnt that great, in this day of galloping technology, when every company's varnish has to sell its own brand of thinner....

Super duper!

Dwight

Reply to
Dwight

It is for this old fart, anyway. Not quite as old as you-- but a similar vintage.

Youngsters don't own any wooden-handled hammers. [and I've got to admit that most of mine are fiberglass, too]

I like to stick with what works unless you can make a compelling argument for the 'brand new stuff'.

I just started looking at boatbuilding [stitch and glue & skin on frame human powered stuff] sites again for the first time in about a decade--- seems like I missed out on the gorilla glue era. [Tempted by the PL premium construction glue in lieu of epoxy, though]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks again. I like to keep wood around me - just cleaned up some homemade kayak padles which are finished with Sea Fin. I did build our Odyssey kayak by Pygmy. They are a really good house, and I have paddled with the owner, but I must say there was no carpentry to it - just learning to work effectively with epoxy - which is fun in itself.

Best

Reply to
Dwight

I second the Boiled Linseed Oil and turp finish.

However, I accidently discoverred the absolutely BEST finish is simply human oil on the wood. Makes it look even better than BL Oil but much harder to get enough of.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Op woensdag 26 september 2012 00:27:18 UTC+2 schreef Dwight het volgende:

Haaaaaay everybody :D

Reply to
hanna.meyers

Tung oil is much better, tougher.