A good barter

I went over to a friend's house to rewire her thermostat due to the wire being shorted within the wall. It was snagged on something so I could not fish a new wire through. I had to drill a hole in the floor.
So It would not show, we moved the piano and put the wire behind it.
There was a painting she did many years ago that had fallen down behind it that she forgot all about. I told her that it would be "plenty good" payment for my work.
Not only did I get an original paining, she gave me her father's WW-II Navy Bell!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/s960x960/10557667_941109602583076_6874530412601332088_o.jpg
I really did not want to take something so valuable so I may end up doing some more work for here.
There was a blown breaker in the panel feeding a short somewhere as it pops as soon as turned on.
I asked here when that happened and she said, " I don't know, maybe three years ago." Must not be on anything important!

<Snip>
You ought to be arrested for theft. :-)
Damn nice bell!
On 11/15/2014 05:56 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

I know, but she insisted.
I still owe her a lot and will get to that wiring one of these days.

On 11/15/2014 6:18 PM, philo wrote:

Sounds like you are both pleased with the arrangement.
Worth trying to isolate the short, and repair it. Never know when someone is determined to make the breaker stay on, and starts a fire.
People do strange things like reset the breaker repeatedly until it stays on. This, I know....
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/15/2014 7:10 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

They should make the breakers in such a way you just slide a penny in to bypass it. Makes you miss the old fuse boxes.
On 11/15/2014 06:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

With inflation today it would be a nickel or dime.
One of my friends still has fuses in his house but most people have upgraded by now.
On 11/15/2014 7:26 PM, philo wrote:

Yep, nickel or quarter at least.
BTW, my parents house has screw fuses. House made in the fifties. My trailer has breakers, and copper wiring (pulled front of panel and looked).
On 11/15/2014 7:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The person who repeatedly reset the breaker, finally was satisfied when the breaker stayed on.
The furnace had a blower motor shorted to ground. Each reset sent a major power surge through the wiring and furnace. Eventually, the relay on the furnace board fried.
Motor: $60. Circuit board from Carrier Bryant dealer $200. Not having Federal Pacific Electric panel box: Priceless.

That looks like a very old bell,
On 11/15/2014 08:50 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

All I know is it's from WW-II

Maybe just taken off a ship then. An old ship.
On 11/16/2014 03:34 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

I'll have to see if she has any more info on it.

Cant you keep it on by tying a string to the lever and nailing the string to the far wall?
On 11/16/2014 04:51 PM, micky wrote:

Even if you hold a breaker to the fully "on" position, if there is an overload it will still trip.
On 11/16/2014 5:51 PM, micky wrote:

Now, that's the tooth!

Darn. Those safety-geeks are real trouble-makers.