A good barter

I went over to a friend's house to rewire her thermostat due to the wire being shorted within the wall. It was snagged on something so I could not fish a new wire through. I had to drill a hole in the floor.

So It would not show, we moved the piano and put the wire behind it.

There was a painting she did many years ago that had fallen down behind it that she forgot all about. I told her that it would be "plenty good" payment for my work.

Not only did I get an original paining, she gave me her father's WW-II Navy Bell!

I really did not want to take something so valuable so I may end up doing some more work for here.

There was a blown breaker in the panel feeding a short somewhere as it pops as soon as turned on.

I asked here when that happened and she said, " I don't know, maybe three years ago." Must not be on anything important!

Reply to
philo

You ought to be arrested for theft. :-)

Damn nice bell!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Sounds like you are both pleased with the arrangement.

Worth trying to isolate the short, and repair it. Never know when someone is determined to make the breaker stay on, and starts a fire.

People do strange things like reset the breaker repeatedly until it stays on. This, I know....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know, but she insisted.

I still owe her a lot and will get to that wiring one of these days.

Reply to
philo

They should make the breakers in such a way you just slide a penny in to bypass it. Makes you miss the old fuse boxes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

With inflation today it would be a nickel or dime.

One of my friends still has fuses in his house but most people have upgraded by now.

Reply to
philo

Yep, nickel or quarter at least.

BTW, my parents house has screw fuses. House made in the fifties. My trailer has breakers, and copper wiring (pulled front of panel and looked).

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The person who repeatedly reset the breaker, finally was satisfied when the breaker stayed on.

The furnace had a blower motor shorted to ground. Each reset sent a major power surge through the wiring and furnace. Eventually, the relay on the furnace board fried.

Motor: $60. Circuit board from Carrier Bryant dealer $200. Not having Federal Pacific Electric panel box: Priceless.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That looks like a very old bell,

Reply to
Vic Smith

All I know is it's from WW-II

Reply to
philo

Maybe just taken off a ship then. An old ship.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I'll have to see if she has any more info on it.

Reply to
philo

Cant you keep it on by tying a string to the lever and nailing the string to the far wall?

Reply to
micky

Even if you hold a breaker to the fully "on" position, if there is an overload it will still trip.

Reply to
philo

Darn. Those safety-geeks are real trouble-makers.

Reply to
micky

Now, that's the tooth!