A different kind of neighbor problem

Page 1 of 3
My neighbor occasionally parks his car in front of my house. It usually doesn't stay there for long -- maybe a few hours. But as of today he has had his car parked in front of my house for three or four days.
Now, I know the street is public and that anyone can sort of park anywhere (with limits). But besides just not wanting to look out my window and see his car (an old but nicely maintained VW bug), two things are happening. He's making it very difficult for the letter carrier to get to my mailbox. I'm sure she has to get out of her car to put mail in my box. Second, he's making it difficult for the elderly woman across the street to back out of her driveway. She's worried that she'll hit his car.
I get along with this neighbor just fine but am worried about my approach should I initiate a conversation. I don't want to come across as angry and destroy a good relationship.
Any suggestions?
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
Suzie-Q wrote:

Tell the neighbor what you've told us. Or, better yet, _ask_ in a nice way why the car has been there for a while while pointing out the problems it is causing. Start friendly and assume nothing.
LB

Say that the mail delivery person complained ;-)
In that way you get the blame put on someone other than yourself or the lady across the street, and it's easy to avoid being angry in such a conversation.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

If that doesn't work, spread a very few roofing nails where he parks in front of your house. He won't want to park there if his tires go flat every time he does so. You can blame *that* on neighborhood kids.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Nothing like someone who advocates vandalism to "solve" a problem.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Suzie-Q wrote:

Do you have any idea of his reasons for doing this?
--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
-> Suzie-Q wrote: -> > My neighbor occasionally parks his car in front of my house. -> > It usually doesn't stay there for long -- maybe a few hours. -> > But as of today he has had his car parked in front of my house -> > for three or four days. -> > -> > Now, I know the street is public and that anyone can sort of -> > park anywhere (with limits). But besides just not wanting to -> > look out my window and see his car (an old but nicely maintained -> > VW bug), two things are happening. He's making it very difficult -> > for the letter carrier to get to my mailbox. I'm sure she has to -> > get out of her car to put mail in my box. Second, he's making it -> > difficult for the elderly woman across the street to back -> > out of her driveway. She's worried that she'll hit his car. -> > -> > I get along with this neighbor just fine but am worried about my -> > approach should I initiate a conversation. I don't want to come -> > across as angry and destroy a good relationship. -> > -> > Any suggestions? -> -> Do you have any idea of his reasons for doing this? Probably because he has several (5, I think)cars and occasionally doesn't have room for all of them in the driveway!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

Perfectly legal in most places.

What are those limits? If the car is registered and legal, most towns allow you to park it on the street forever. Maybe the neighbor takes it out for a ride during the night while you sleep.

Now these may be legitimate complaints. I don't know the law about obstructing a mailbox, but the carrier does not have to deliver if the mailbox is obstructed. You could mention these concerns to the neighbor andhe may neve park there again so it does not get hit by the lady across the street. Problem solved.

Anyone that promotes a web site dedicated to male bashing does come across as angry and has not had good relationships.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Actually many cities have time limits for vehicles parked on public streets. Like 72 hours for instance.
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:57:32 -0700, in alt.home.repair RE: Re: A
wrote:

Some cities also prohibit *any* vehicle from being parked on the street "overnight" (e.g. between 3am and 6am) without a permit. Pasadena CA was like that 30 years ago. I don't know if it still is.

like that, and publicized it very little. Every time the school went on break, the well-connected towing companies and the cops would scoop up all the innocently parked cars belonging to the kids that caught a ride home, and hold them for ransom at the private towing yards, accumulating exorbinant daily storage fees that would ensure they had first dibs on auction day. (Back then, unlike now, most college cars were cheap beaters, and after 10 days or so, might not be worth ransoming.) I had an old VW Baja I kept at my brother's house, and a neighbor simply hated how it looked, and kept reporting it as abandoned. Me or my brother had to run out several times as tow truck was trying to hook up. A real racket all around, taking advantage of inexperienced college kids.
aem sends...
-> Anyone that promotes a web site dedicated to male bashing does come across -> as angry and has not had good relationships. Ah shucks. It's all in good fun!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:25:45 +0000, Suzie-Q wrote:

So you would think that female bashing is OK too, as long as it's done "in good fun", right?
You ignorant bitch.
Linux Registered User #327951
-> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:25:45 +0000, Suzie-Q wrote: -> -> >> Anyone that promotes a web site dedicated to male bashing does come -> >> across -> >> as angry and has not had good relationships. -> -> > Ah shucks. It's all in good fun! -> -> So you would think that female bashing is OK too, as long as it's done "in -> good fun", right? -> -> You ignorant bitch. Thanks for the chuckle!
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:41:57 +0000, Suzie-Q wrote:

You didn't answer the question. How come?
Linux Registered User #327951
Suzie-Q, 6/21/2005, 9:28:05 AM,

Surely you don't need our advice on how to approach a friend. You are an adult, no?
--
No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 14:34:45 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"

Do you have a shade tree in front of your house?