A different kind of motion sensing security light?

Page 2 of 3

Any which way it takes when caught out.
On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 22:16:55 -0000, "Ian Field"

--
I merely point out your errors, and since you were caught out as not
knowing the difference between a thin-film thermistor and a PIR sensor

They can both be thin film - a point you're too thick to get!

This is a copy/paste of what I typed: " Freznel type lenses (special IR

Being "Freznel type lenses" they're obviously based on something that existed before PIR sensors. - the more you wriggle - the more you have to be disingenuous about what I actually said.
You're even too thick to snip what I actually said, so everyone can see you're making it up the things I never said!
On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 14:49:03 -0000, "Ian Field"

--
Ah, but that wasn't the point.

Since you wrote:

One of the PIR sensor datasheets I read described them as such, It was many years ago that I worked for the alarm company that made the PIR alarms, I can't remember the part number and I've no idea if I still have those old datasheets.
But at least I've had actual hands on industrial experience - and not just swinging through the trees beating my chest.
On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 22:21:34 -0000, "Ian Field"

--
Convenient.
On 2/10/2013 6:10 AM, John Fields wrote:

You helped the DEA catch a lot of pot growers. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 06:21:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas

--
OUCH!!! :-(

On 2/10/2013 10:28 AM, John Fields wrote:

A friend of mine worked for a local company that put together custom built electronics for a lot of different customers back in the 1980's. One of the projects was taking off the shelf video cameras and recorders built into a weatherproof package with a magnetic detector to video any unauthorized vehicles visiting coal mine sites. Law enforcement was also a customer for the item including another variation built into a fake pole mounted power transformer to be mounted outside the home of any sort of suspect. An anonymous unsuspicious bucket truck comes out and mounts the setup which actually draws power from the power line so there are no batteries. Makes you kind of wonder what sort of hidden cameras the spooks have hidden around your town. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:58:52AM -0600, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Cell towers are ubiquitous in some areas; on buildings, towers, etc. I wonder if it is possible that 'dummy' antennas could operate as tempest monitoring stations. But otherwise, the degree of electronics miniaturization that has occurred means that it should be possible to manufacture spy-enabled passive components that could be relatively easily substituted in just about anything, and remember that things like TVs and such never really turn off.
I worry less about video surveillance than audio, but MEMS devices will eventually advance to the point where microscopic bugs will be able to crawl or fly into a residence and set up a fairly comprehensive spying network. All of which is an NSA/CIA wet-dream scenario, so they're probably working on it.
Regards,
Uncle Steve
--
More than a century has passed since science laid down sound
propositions as to the origins of the universe, but how many have
On 2/10/2013 5:25 PM, Uncle Steve wrote:

I buy gear from Supercircuits Inc. and there are all sorts of covert cameras you can by from them. Good grief, the cameras in cellphones are so tiny you would expect them to be available as components to build any sort of surveillance system. The stuff Supercircuits sells would have been science fiction not that many years ago. ^_^
TDD

So that explains your confused ranting!
On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:37:08 -0000, "Ian Field"

--
You have enough first-hand experience with marijuana to substantiate
that claim?

Ian worked for an alarm company alright... sitting in front of a monitor in a call center making cold calls trying to sell crap alarm systems... and believed the boilerplate he read off a script.          ...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

--
The sensor elements aren't thermistors, which are made from sintered
metal oxides (NTC) or a doped polycrystalline ceramic (PTC).

You can buy sensors that have a restricted/adjustable "target" size. To eliminate nuisance operations from small animals.
There will always be an amplifier and relay in the circuit.

Wrong yet again. harry is like a cosmic black hole of ignorance, no real knowledge can exist anywhere near him.

Many motion sensors are for security, THEREFORE the designer purposely takes some care to NOT relate the detection to the motion. For example, sometimes delay detection before alarm. When I worked at a Security Electronics firm, we used to not simply watch for a level of signal, but look at the pattern - trying to decide whether the intruder was an animal, like a dog, or was a person. Because, most of where our systems were used a false positive called out the guards big time.
Some sensor technologies simply take time to 'decide' if there has been an intrusion. Many on the market today are for 'courtesy' like lighting a walkway, so immediate, or related to detection, is a real 'don't care.'
With that said, you're going to have to get some sensors and go 'upstream' to the analog signal and look for it. IR detectors, sonic detectors, and radar detectors offer you the best hope with sonic and radar probably being the most appropriate for what you describedyou want to do.
Then to transfer the signal level to intensity, use a modified dimmer switch.
You'll still have to cut into everything, but you won't have too much fuss and design effort to mess with.

That would appear to be a non-sequitor. And directly contradicted by how the typical security motion sensor works. You can stand in front of it all day as long as you don't move. Wave your arm and it triggers.
For

What I was mentioning is that today, what used to be a security function - motion sensor, has become a 'courtesy' function - turning on walk lights for guests etc. Your description is accurate. It is like an AC coupled response.
What I was talking about was disabling the ability of an intentional intruder from 'testing' the sensor early. Walking the space, finding range, sensitivity to motion, etc. IF the sensor has immediate response, is easy. IF sensor has a delayed or weird response time, is very difficult to correlate the activity to the sensor's response.