A couple questions prior to purchasing Marquis spa

Greetings all!

I have never had a spa in my life, and though I am researching the matter now, I am a little concerned about making an underinformed purchase. The brand/model my wife and I are thinking seriously about is the Marquis Mirage; I have generally heard good things about Marquis spas, and my brother purchased one from the same shop I am considering, and he has had good things to say.

I happened across a post in this newsgroup, however, where someone asked about how to fool the their Marquis spa thermostat into heating the spa to over 104 degrees (they said they wanted it up around 107). Having no previous spa experience, I don't know what temp I want, or what temp humans can bear before their flesh peels off, but I'd hate to get a spa only to find I can only heat it up to "lukewarm." Is this a problem/limitation with Marquis, or just a general limitation imposed on all spa manufacturers by the safety czars?

Any advice/opinions on this matter, or Marquis spas generally, or spa purchases generally, are greatly appreciated by the wife and I!

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Temps above 104 are considered medically unsafe. 104 is hardly "lukewarm". You will find after owning a spa for a while that there is a noticable difference between one set at 102 and one set at 103. You may also find that you prefer a spa at 102 because you can stay in it longer. It's a matter of personal preferences which you will develop over time and experience. I use my spa more in the winter than in the summer. In the summer, I set it at 102,or even lower, and in the colder months I set it at 103 or 104.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud

Took the words right out of my mouth. Sure, you can handle 110, but it's not smart. No matter how healthy you are. Bottom line is: It's not really go for you. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE DRINKING!!! Most spa makers tell you not to drink alcohol at all. You can. But the secret is: For every drink you have (beer, whine, whiskey, whatever) drink a big glass of water. You want to have a hangover before the morning? drink 5 or 6 beers while in an over-heated hot tub.

One other thing: You want an efficient birth control? Get in a 105 degre hot tub for 15 minutes......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

if you're not soaking in a tub now, soaking in a spa for any great length of time or temperature is a matter of planning for a comfort and entertainment level. so the minifridge and tv proximity and remote controls for tv and spa temp/bubbles/timer and radio will be critical to you. the installation, heating of it, the humidity it throws off, a heated towel bar, infrared lamp, decorative underwater LED lighting, and a pump and heater that are not noisy. go rent a hotel room with one or swap houses with your brother for the weekend and see how long you are comfortable in it and take along an instant reading digital thermometer. if this is to be outdoors, there are outdoor covers and even more insulation to consider. don't swim or spa alone it says at every hotel.

Reply to
buffalobill

I have absolutely no knowledge of the Marquis brand of HOT TUBS... sorry but somehow this old boy just can not refer to his HOT TUB as a spa... just not me I guess...

However my wife purchased a HOT TUB in 1999 after a long cross country trip in an antique car which honestly did not do her back much good..(mine either for that matter)... BUT she just walked into Lowes and bought one without researching anything...(not real smart but what the heck)..

Anyhow it has 33 jets...and has been completely trouble free ..have not spent money for anything except a new cover this summer)...so in this case Cheap was just fine...

My only complaint is that I will "test fit" myself into the next HOT TUB "we" buy... I am just a few inches too tall to enjoy the recliner in our current HOT TUB.. And I fine that 33 jets are NOT ENOUGH

As for tempature ...I keep mine at 101 day in and day out 24/7...and use it at least 5 times a week... I honestly would NOT want to get in a HOT TUB above 104 degrees... way way too hot for this boy...

By advice... before you buy.. Get in... and check if you fit comfortabaly get as many Jets as possible get a good cover lifter ..(and a good cover) Do not let size influence you... Mine is 7x8 foot plenty big for both my wife and I BUT normally only one of us is in it actually its bigger then I need...when I use it 90 percent of the time I only uncover half the HOT TUB..

Best darn thing my wife ever purchased... I love the darn thing..

Bob G.

. >Greetings all!

Reply to
Bob G.

I was just scanning the groups looking for Marquis Spa messages and came across yours. I have owned a Marquis Reward for 2 1/2 years and it has been broken for the last 16 months. Our 2003 model is defective and the company has been unresponsive to our complaints. The dealer does not return our phone calls. I have been in contact with other Marquis owners who have experienced similar problems to the one we have with the Euphoria and Reward models. I would strongly urge you to look at another brand based on my experience with Marquis and their dealers.

Reply to
elizabiz

I was just scanning the groups looking for Marquis Spa messages and came across yours. I have owned a Marquis Reward for 2 1/2 years and it has been broken for the last 16 months. Our 2003 model is defective and the company has been unresponsive to our complaints. The dealer does not return our phone calls. I have been in contact with other Marquis owners who have experienced similar problems to the one we have with the Euphoria and Reward models. I would strongly urge you to look at another brand based on my experience with Marquis and their dealers.

Reply to
elizabiz

As far as temp, I like mine at around 107 too. And I've been in many commercial spas at hotels, resorts, etc that were a lot hotter. Mine I can just get into at 107. These other ones were so hot you had to ease in a little at a time, which I think is too hot. And I'm pretty sure it is around 107, because I have a seperate floating thermometer in it that reads temps around 75 accurately.

Reply to
trader4

Wow. I thought 104F was too hot when I had a malfunctioning thermostat in my Beachcomber. Even on the coldest, windiest, snowiest days here (teens F), I don't like my spa more than about 102F. Is this spa temperature preference related to a person's size/weight? Are skinny/average people (e.g., me) more likely to prefer lower temps? I would die at 107F, even in the winter; I don't want to sweat so much that I dehydrate and have to get out in 15 minutes. I prefer to be warm and comfortable and able to sit in the spa for an hour.

Reply to
KLS

===================== I'm with you 100 percent... mine is kept at 101 24/7 I could NOT handle 107 degrees no way no how... BUT I do not normally stay in the "hot tub" (I just am not comfortable using the term "spa"..) for more then half an hour...jets will only run 20 min before the turn off...then I relax for about 10 minutes and climb out...

107 is NOT for me... 6'1 230 pounds and too much of it has tuned to fat ... Bob G,
Reply to
Bob G.