A couple more electrical questions...

and then I will be done for a while, really!

I have a Sylvania breaker box, and need to put a common trip quad breaker in for a new circuit because I am out of room. Two years ago I put in a Siemens quad, so I know they fit and work; but now can't find one. I need a C23030CT2. Lowes carries Murray, and while they don't have the one I need, they have a quad that looks to be identical to the Siemens. Are they the same? The Murray I need is a MP230230CT2, and seem to be readily available.

(I am tempted to pull out three circuits going to my workshop and put a subpanel in, rather than putting in the fourth circuit. I sure wish I had done it that way originally.)

I intend on running 10/2AC or 10/2MC. The AC is $0.60/ft, and the MC is $1.10/ft. What about the MC is worth nearly twice the price? I don't want to waste $50, but I "save" $50 by buying a product that will be much inferior. That's all, thanks.

Reply to
Toller

If it mounts OK, then it is OK.

Yes and yes ... a sub-panel is good.

Check your local code requirements.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I presume either is allowed; it that not always true?

Reply to
Toller

Toller, if you're keeping notes, you gotta know more than the rest of us. I'm pretty sure Murray will fit. The problem is over the years, these competing manufacturers keep making small changes to try to prevent other manufacturer's stuff from fitting, to the point that they're own stuff won't fit in all of their panels. The Murray would be your best bet if you can't find Siemens

Reply to
RBM

Sorry, I meant Sylvania. I believe it's considered a code violation in that the NEC states that you have to follow manufacturers instructions and no manufacturer is going to say to use another's products

Reply to
RBM

Don't know them specifically, but should be rated/listed for interchange if it is. A electrical service distributorship will have the data sheets/catalogs that will tell if you'll go there instead of the Borg's.

I'd recommend it as a far cleaner solution and agree w/ the "rue the day" sentiment. If's almost always better to plan ahead for growth and who knows--you may want something yet again one day and then be stuck for certain.

"Inferior" is hardly the word here, they're designed for differening purposes/applications. Where is the run and what is needed for it is the question to answer, then buy the appropriate cable. You might look here for MC description and then find the AC and compare. (Google is your friend :) )

That's all, thanks.

Reply to
dpb

At the risk of being dense, I read the descriptions of AC and MC there. They have the same uses, except in wet conditions. Since my application is not wet, I should use AC. That's how I read it.

But I have pretty much changed gears to a subpanel with SER aluminum anyhow. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Yes, but I meant it in even the larger picture -- for an interior circuit, did you _really_ need the armored cable at all? The point was simply of getting what is required whereas from the way the question was asked it seemed like the choice was being made from price/wire type and then hoping it fit the purpose -- sort of the "cart before the horse" approach.

superior than remote individual circuits iiuc what you're doing, I agree. Localized global cutoff is simply handier and adds a level of safety that might be useful in the future even if not immediately, plus, assuming you don't undersize it, future growth is much easier to accomodate.

Reply to
dpb