A couple 3phase questions...

Page 2 of 2

I doubt that you would see a building that has 120 V outlets and a tiny return. Too much of a chance of loading one phase.
But when the loads are hard wired to 3 phase the return can be small or not in existance. I remember one military application where the power was a grounded delta.

This is Turtle.
Hummmmmm, i see Pie are round and Corn Pond Are square.
TURTLE

Reminds me of a boy downhome in the Missouri Ozarks, his folks sent him off to college to get him educated. Since they had spent so much money on him, his dad wanted him to impress the locals, so when he came home, his dad said "Say something smart, Junior!" Junior thought a while and said "Pie are square" Dad was totally humiliated, "Damn fool is stupider now than when left, everyone knows pie are round, cornbread are square".
Dan
To be real specific, sometimes references are to "120/208 volts", "277/480 volts", etc.. Reference is more commonly to the phase-to-phase voltages such as "208", "240", "480", etc.. Don Young