A ceiling fan above the dinning table?

Is this strange?
The way things work, with the kitchen, dinning room and living room all in an open floor plan, we tend to eat at the kitchen island most of the time. We rarely use the dinning table.
In fact, the dinning table becomes a place where we have a cheese board for a continued game, we do homework there, a laptop is there most of the time, fill out cross word puzzles...so we want a ceiling fan above it, not a chandlier.
Seems more practical...but it's strange and unconventional, right?
MC

No - I'm sitting across the table from my daughter. She's doing Algebra II and I'm "posting on this group' - all under a 52" reversable ceiling fan with 4 bulbs beneath. The Fan and Lights are wired to separate wall switches. Works GREAT!
Djay

Mine has one, I wouldn't have it any other way. Is your house for your pleasure or a monument to convention?
MiamiCuse wrote:

A table where you make a lot of noise, usually with a fan runing overhead.

I was trying to make funy with the speling of the word "running".
Steve Barker wrote:

It's where you play "cheese".
--

dadiOH
____________________________

LOL I can't believe I said dinning and cheese board.
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:28:36 -0500, Steve Barker

Something very common in large families. A table where a lot of noisy people make noise.
In the dinning room, with a canddlestick, leadding to the deatth of Mmiss Mmarpple. Ith not funnthy that I'm lithping. Thop lathing.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Nope, my house came with one. just dont get something that looks like it came out of a used mobile home. Ive even seen them in mt wifes ritzy home magazines.
Jimmie
"MiamiCuse" wrote

No, not really. They sell nice ones with a kitchy design for places like that. I suggest, due to the use of the space, that you also have one with a light fixture so when you need a little extra light there for a project, it's an option.

Your house, knock yourself out!! Just be sure you find a fan with a good amount of light, which can be difficult. Be sure that there are no recessed lights near the fan, or you'll get a strobe effect, and set the fan to run in reverse, so it doesn't blow your papers away

Or chill your food before your meal is finished.

The fan does have a light underneath, but not bright enough. So I do have wired six recessed lights (H7T, with 310W trim). I am glad you mentioned the strobe effect. I am worried about that. What is a good distance away from the fan blade? Right now I have them wired about 3-1/2 feet away from the tip of the fan blade, will that be sufficient?
Thanks,
MiamiCuse wrote:

Of course you can put a ceiling fan above the dining table.
The conversation might become a little awkward during the toast celebrating the investiture of Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order, but if you don't have many state dinners, go for it.
Sounds just fine, to me.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yea. I just wouldn't want to eat undeneath one: blowing bugs and dust onto the food and blowing napkins all over the place.

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:00:52 -0800, "Ulysses"

Good reason not to mount a high speed industrial blower above the table without a switch :-) Most normal ceiling fans have at least 3 speeds and a reverse switch; on low (or blowing up) ours just provides a gentle breeze; nice when the sun is beating on the windows nearby. On high it does blow napkins around a bit, so we just don't use that while eating...
I might not put one in a dedicated, formal dining room, but in a daily-use dining space it's nice to have.
Josh
MiamiCuse wrote:

dining room chandelier with a ceiling fan. When I put the house up for sale, I replaced that with a nice eBay chandelier. I think for a house where you live, the fan is fine. You may want to stash the current chandelier in the attic in case you ever sell the house.
The one problem I've found with ceiling fans (at least the ones I looked at) is that they aren't as bright as a regular ceiling light. With my old ceiling fans, I could put larger bulbs in, but the ones I bought for the new house all specified smaller bulbs.