A/C working properly? Cost -> lower temp?

Page 16 of 16
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 18:43:24 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Why do you constantly parrot what someone else has already said and act like you know wtf your talking about?
What do you do, sit and wait for several answers and then pick the most logical to repeat?

Just what information has she posted that lead you to that conclusion?
Guessing as usual.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

Used- past tense, no use.
Try to learn correct grammer. You might get better SAT scores with which to impress us all.
It sure sounds like her apartment guy isn't an AC tech.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:41:55 -0700, carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

No, I'm not being sarcastic. It certainly wasn't working the night before. It may not have worked 10 minutes earlier, and it may not be working ten minutes later, but if there was an 18 degree differential, it was working then.
I didn't say he fixed it. I said it was working then.
It's very hard to fix something when it is working. That's why Click and Clack, or anyone, tell customers to leave their cars at the shop the night before, when people have cars that work badly when first started, but work ok later. Some people will go to a service station and tell them it's hard to start in the morning, can you fix it? But they very often can't, because it's either not morning anymore or the person drove 3 miles to the service station and the engine is warm now, and it's working fine.
But even things that don't require warming up can have intermittent problems. (Long story snipped before it was completed. Just take my word.)
Even if the spec sheet says it should be 20, it's stilll working pretty well, and if were able to stay that way, it would still cool your apartment to the temp you want.

He may well have been incompetent, but your relationship is with your landlord and not with this guy or the AC company.
You can make notes and calmly tell the landlord that he was ready to leave after making two measurements with the voltmeter, but always be polite.
I've lived in several apartments and one in Brooklyn NY for 11 years. Actually one year in 4C and 10 years in 5A. The building was a nice building, and the old woman landlady sold it after I had been there 3 or 4 years, to a European immigrant. I already had a policy of doing my own repairs, and the aparment needed little anyhow. But I couldn't do plaster and when there was a leak or something in the bathroom above mine, I let him send his guy to repair the plaster, and it looked like the icing on a cake, with all the hills and swirls. Pitiful. He also thought he was a plumber and tried to fix the big oil burner/boiler (6 stories, 49 units, steam heat) but he really didn't know how. (There was a bucket in the furance room half full of oil where he seemed unable to stop an oil drip in one of the pipes related to the furnace. And other things.)
He also tried to evict me illegally. I was 2 weeks late on the rent and he thought or said he thought I was 6 weeks late. He also only gave me 48 hours notice, on a FRiday morning when I was going away for the weekend, instead of starting with the required 30-days notice, which he just skipped altoghether. So Monday morning, I didnt' go to work, and I was inside the aparment with the door locked and chained, and I wouldn't open the door for the city marshall, who had come to evict me. I insisted on talking to the landlord first and he wasn't at his office (before cell phones) but they called him and he called me, and I convinced him I he had proceeded illegally as I say above, and that if he did get me out, I was going to win in court for moving charges, storage charges, plus the illegal eviction. (You can do this with a good chance of success in NYC where tenants have rights. But in almost all small cities and most big cities, tenants have fewer rights than in NYC. So check before doing anything.)
I ended up agreeing to leave the apartment and go with his guy Friday to my bank where I would get the money to pay that months's rent, and to pay 3 or 4 hundred dollars to the marshall who also had to pay the moving van for showing up even though they didn't move my stuff.
Did I yell at the landlord or curse him? Did I ever do that? No, because those things would have not helped me.
I did however, withhold my rent on two occasions that we didn't have heat, and of the three times he took me to court, once I broke even, once I was awarded 100 dollars iirc, and once 200 dollars for the electricity I used to make up for the heat he didn't give me.
If you don't live in New York City, it is very dangerous to withhold rent. In most places you will get evicted for this, no matter how valid your claim might be. You may win money later but your claim will not stop your eviction, which will go much quicker than in NY as well. This is true even for heat, but for air conditioning, people have almost no rights, partly because very few people will die without AC, but many die without heat, and partly because AC is relatively new, and didn't exist or wasn't very common when most tenants rights laws were written, several decades ago.
Well, finally, I was ready to move, and I told him I would move if he gave me 1000 dollars (part to make up for what I shouldn't have had to pay the marshall, and part for the interest on my secuity deposit for 11 years, which he was obliged by NYS law to give me but I was pretty sure he woudln't, and part for aggravation.
And he agreed. And his lawyer told him not to give me the money until after I moved out. And I told them I wouldn't move out until I had the money. (I must admit. I didn't tell them I had bought a house already in Baltimore, and accepted a job, and was leaving for sure. I told him I had found an apartment in Queens, so he would think I might not move after all.)
And Alex, the landlord, told the lawyer and his guy Friday (who told me this story), "You can trust Michael".
He trusted me because I had never lied to him, I had never cursed him, I had never yelled at him or insulted him, I had never called him at home (even though neighbors had, some in the middle of the night, and they had given me his home number)
Even when we didn't have heat in the middle of the night, I used my electric heater, and didn't call him at home. I also treated him and anyone who answered the phone with politeness and respect, no matter what I was actually thinking about him.
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 09:27:18 -0700, carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Break off with a few bucks and buy your own thermometer and check it yourself. Then go the fuck away and take your DIY ho's with you.
Carie I am not AC person however I am refrigeration Tech. representing OEMs from many parts of our country. I have read about dozens answers and I had it enough. In my opinion any central domestic unit if can't bring temperature down to 72 in let say 3 hours is not worth having, so you tell you service people fix it or install new one there is no excuse for something like that. leave unit running for hours leave unit running overnight bullshit if was me two hours would be a limit. from reading some info. that unit seems to be around two ton which it should be enough unless your cool air is going some place ales, like cracked duct work and your unit is cooling parking lot or roof.