A/C working properly? Cost -> lower temp?

Page 14 of 16
On Jul 7, 9:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

I can see your attitude & problem solving skills are really moving that ball forward. :)
quoting law / code ain't going to get your apt cooled off
must really suck to be you.........hope it's not too hot today for you :)

I asked if he had a license as he was leaving. Can you read?
The guy was obviously pretty clueless about A/C.
I'll be writing a detailed letter to the landlord, and the state licensing board (they may have some input even though he apparently doesn' have to know what he's doing).
On Jul 7, 9:45 am, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Apt getting any cooler?
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Y'know Carie, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
My curious mind wants to know....Are you married or single?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Hell, how about a picture? :-)

Tub girl?

Please NO!!

Jeff-
She wants the AC to cool her apt at a reasonable cost....I don't she's interested in catching flies :)
cheers Bob
my money's on single

Never married. Only do long-term-relationships with one person. Single for 3 months, after the last relationship of 2 years. Dating casually. I don't have to approach, but I do because I know what I want. I typically only date people with IQs above 135 (thats about a 1340 on the old SAT) - otherwise we wouldn't relate.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Ever considered joining Mensa?
I was invited to join about 45 years ago, but in the words of Groucho Marx, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

You go girl. Write that letter. It will certainly fix your AC unit. Amazing what can be done with a stamp amd an envelope.
In the mean time, you will have yet another $ 320 - 350 power bill to pay.
A smart persom would get a real repair person in to fix the unit and pay that person directly, thereby avoiding the ongoing excess power bills.
But, as you stated, your IQ is 135, so you are obviouly not smart enough to figure that out.
Not too smart, clearly wrapped too tight.
As spomeone els said, it must suck to be you.

If you go back and read my post you will see that I did not say my IQ was 135. There's a minimum intelligence limit where I can relate to someone.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS
Again, since you are too stupid to figure it out, I'll repeat:
YOU GO GIRL. WRITE THAT LETTER. IT WILL CERTAINLY FIX YOUR AC UNIT. AMAZING WHAT CAN BE DONE WITH A STAMP AMD AN ENVELOPE.
IN THE MEAN TIME, YOU WILL HAVE YET ANOTHER $ 320 - 350 POWER BILL TO PAY.
A SMART PERSOM WOULD GET A REAL REPAIR PERSON IN TO FIX THE UNIT AND PAY THAT PERSON DIRECTLY, THEREBY AVOIDING THE ONGOING EXCESS POWER BILLS.
BUT, AS YOU STATED, YOUR IQ IS 135, SO YOU ARE OBVIOULY NOT SMART ENOUGH TO FIGURE THAT OUT.
NOT TOO SMART, CLEARLY WRAPPED TOO TIGHT.
AS SOMEONE ELSE SAID, IT MUST SUCK TO BE YOU.
Getting warm there this afternoon?

Again, I never said my IQ was 135. Go back and read that again.
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 09:27:18 -0700, carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

I surely wouldn't consider that an adequate test. An adequate test looks at the results, that is, is the air cold. Unless that is physcially impossible, like maybe measuring something on a satellite when one is on the ground, but that is not the case here.
Still, I wonder if there are two places that are specially important. But I'm not an AC guy.

Although someone said 20 yesterday, I don't think it is always 20 -- I think what I've heard here, AHR, is 15 to 20.

Now the thing is working! Darn. It's much much harder to fix most things when they are working right. Even things that only work intermittently. You pretty much have to catch it when it's not working to be able to fix many things.
Do you have a thermometer other than the one that is on the thermostat?

He asked because curious-type repairmen are always curious when a customer says something about a repair, right or wrong.
And of course it does have to run for a while to get to that temp. He may have thought you had had it running.
The fact is that all repairmen get calls for things that either were really never broken or start workimg the moment they touch it. Even when I'm working on my own stuff, that I know is broken, it's not unusual for it to start to work fine the moment I start to repair it. Sometimes they never break again, sometimes they do.

It's plainly working outside, but I think he should have looked if it was dirty. By now he has 18 degrees, which iiuc is pretty good.
I think during hot weather a lot of companies make service calls as quick as possible, because so many people are calling them. If one wants a tune-up or a cleaning, he has to call when they aren't so busy, or pay more in the busy season**. But if the outside is dirty, you could clean it yourself if the landlord says ok, using a garden hose with no nozzle, iiuc. The fins are very easy to bend, and bent fins cut down AC efficiency. This isn't your major problem, though.
**This is why I guess whether you rent or own, you should test your furnace in September and your AC in April or May, so that if it is broken, you have time to get it fixed when companies aren't busy. I don't know what various landlords will say if you say your ac isn't working in May. Landlords vary.

For the next time, espeically a more important situation, you have to have the pencil ready, because if you give someone time to think, they want to "check with their lawyer". That's why reporters iiuc sometimes try to surprise the people they interview.

Did you first ask his name, or if he had a business card**? For your records, all you really need is his name, or the company name on the truck. He didn't add any freon, so he doesn't have to have a license, and your legal relationship is with your landlord, not with the AC company. This part is very important. If he fixes it and does a bad job, but doesn't cause damage to things you own, you won't be able to sue him. You're not paying him and you don't have a direct relationship with him. No privity. (If does damage things you own, the landlord might be resposnible too, in this case.)
Being a tenant can be both an advantage and a disadvantage in this situation. It depends how things play out.
**My friend who has a burglar alarm business gives all his installers business cards, although I'm sure many bosses in many fields don't bother. He's hoping to get business that way. (He might be thinking that without a business card, the installer will just give them his own number and do the work without my friend, but if they have a card they won't bother.)

That's really going to endear him for the next time he has to come. He'll be sure to clean up well, and be extra careful to not leave fingerprints.
And for nothing because as you found later, he doesn't have to give you his number. Except he may tell your landlord he doesn't like you. That's not in your interest either.
I absolutely despise the president of my home owners association. She lies, cheats, and steals votes, and she's a hypocrite or senile. But I don't tell her any of that that or she will make my life more difficult. When one of us moves, I'll probably tell her.

From my pov, it's hard to say if it's unfortunate or not. Surely if I were in your shoes, I'd be happy to be able to get his number. (Even though I could find his number if I had his name. If the licensing agency wouldn't look up his number based on his name, they also wouldn't do anything if they had his number.) But if we look at the whole picture, we live in a country where laws are becoming more and more oppressive. I'm flabbergasted that in Virginia, they passed a law that there can't be smoking even at private clubs. And some place else they banned the sale at restaurants of food made with transfat. Requiring that the ingredient be listed on the menu would have been ok, and probably killed it, but telling people they can't serve a legal food if people want to buy it is, I hate to say it, the bud of fascism. That the state has the power to do anything. (Not German fascism, which includes mass murder. More like maybe Spanish fascism.)

This strikes me as reasonable.
BTW, you didn't reply to any particular thing I said last night, but I hope I convinced you that I wasn't suggesting that anything underhanded is going on.

The maintenance guy didn't fix anything... I watched him the whole time. It is as it was.

He wasn't curious, he didn't know what he was doing. He was ready to leave after 2 minutes, having checked to places with a probe. After I went in to a longer explaination that I put here about why it should be 20 deg different, he started looking at the unit (inside) again, and scratching his head, without actually doing that. He also looked surprised when I was 18 deg different when he checked it again. - And he knew the A/C had been off, because I told him, and he turned it on.

I tried handing him a notebook and pen before I said I'd follow him to his truck, and he just ignored that, but got very nervous. I then said I'd go down with him - "You have it in your truck? I'll just go down with you and write it down." When we got there he said he wouldn't give it to me. I don't think he has any contractors license at all. Of course you don't know all those details, because I abreviated down to just the relevant facts, but I do appreciate the feedback.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you being sarcastic? He didn't adjust anything, he was just using something that looked like a voltmeter (and scratching his head, without actually doing that). Telling him the A/C couldn't get the apt down below 83 deg all day didn't mean anything to him.
carie snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

The function of the A/C unit *itself* is to pump out air that's about 15F to 20F colder than the air that comes in (or actually, whatever temperature difference is in its specifications). If it's doing that, then *it* is working.
Now, in a larger context, the purpose of the A/C unit within your actual apartment unit is to achieve a comfortable indoor temperature. It is possible that the A/C unit is working perfectly according to its specs but can't do that. In that case, the problem might be that the A/C unit is simply undersized for the load it's having to handle. That doesn't mean the A/C unit is broken. It means that you have the wrong A/C unit. *If* this is the case, it cannot be fixed by tinkering with the A/C unit.
To make a car analogy, if I try to tow a large trailer up a mountain with a Toyota Corolla and I fail, does this mean the Toyota Corolla is broken? No, and if I start looking in the engine compartment to see what's "wrong" with the Toyota's engine, I am looking in the wrong place.
The point is, perhaps the problem is that whoever designed the apartment complex failed to choose appropriate A/C units given the size of the apartments, the amount of insulation (which may be NONE), and variables like that. And maybe they chose A/C units which are really energy- inefficient. I don't know how common this type of bad engineering is, but it seems like a plausible explanation for your situation.
- Logan