A/C vacuum pump

thinking about replacing my 2.5 T a/c. the kits like from a/c direct http://www.acdirect.com/index.php?source=google&group=2&campaign=5&keyword=ai usually come with the condenser charged. but the evap and pipes need to be evacuated. can I rent a vac pump? and also how would i remove the old freon from exist system for recycle? thks bill

lmao. you are going to need a lot more than a vacum pump. You have no clue what you are getting into do you?
well, i did install the original system about 15 yrs ago. but all the pieces were pre charged. two things- all these new parts (lines and evap coil) are not precharged and i also dont want to just let the old gas go up in the air. so...can i rent a pump?

Al Moran wrote:

Yeppers, these kits are REALLY for the employee of an AC contractor that is looking to do a bit of side business.
You need access to a charge/refill station, a tank of refrigerant, a torch and solder, good solder technique for approx 1" diameter copper pipe, insulation, tubing cutter........
Plus electrical code may have changed as it has in my city, and additional electrical devices may need to be installed.

I don't know who is dispensing the advice here, but I watched a guy install (replace) a condenser and evaporator, keeping the old pipes.
First, he returned the freon to the old condenser. Disconnected and moved the old condenser out of the way. Disconnected the pipes at evaporator coil and repalced the evaporator. Brought new evaporator, which was precharged. Connected the pipes. Pressurized it with nitrgen to check for leaks. Pulled vacuum for a while - I know people do this part for hours, but with old pipes and dry day, it does not need to be that long. Finally when system was OK, released the new freon into the system.

Why the magic here? You need a disconnect switch near the condenser - cost under $10. May want to install new cable from condenser to the switch.
RichK

customer=2&campaign=5&keyword=ai
As I recall, according to the AC direct website, you're supposed to call a licensed HVAC company to do that kind of work.
I haven't been to that website for quite a while.
On Sun, 21 May 2006 09:01:34 -0400, "HeatMan"

Well, it may be the law, but so is the 55 mph speed limit.
Don't worry about it.
HeatMan wrote:

Yep, licensed only to handle refrigerant. That's why self service kits to recharge auto AC have disappeared from shelves in WalMart, Sam Club. Drums of refrigerant in Sams Club are labeled such that only licensed individuals can purchase them.
Looks like Bill will have to find an AC repair guy that wants to do some work on the side to make this happen.

The auto AC stuff is (atleast it was, not sure what the current rules are) a joke as far as the license goes. YOu go to store , get a booklet and fill out a test form. Then you get licensed. It is not so much if you know how to work on the equipment, but to make sure you know what the law is for discharging freon into the air. YOu must reclaime it if possiable. Anyting other than a small ammount when you hook up the hoses released into the air carries a big fine. For the AC other than cars , there are several classes of licenses. One for the small appliances, one for the large stuff such as chillers in big buildings, and another class or two with one being a universal that covers everything but the car units. They all cover the laws for handling the refrigerant and not much on how the AC unit actually works.

Around here, freon for automotive air-conditioners is definitely available at Wal-Mart... My Jeep's a-c has a slight leak in it and I usually have to put a can in at the start of the summer... Probably some O-ring that is leaking, but it's cheaper to just add a can a year than it would be to take it to a shop to get it fixed (only to have a different O-ring probably start leaking the next year)...
The TYPE of coolant which is being generaically called freon varies.
The OLD freon for cars is hardly availble if you can find iutr at all costs a fortune.
The new coolant one may be R134A can be bought for self install, since its ozone friendly.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Hey, hallerbutt it's refrigerant, not coolant. Freon is a trade name.
You never read my expos of your BS of faucets designed to leak from the factory.
Now, what else are you going to misinform people about? I hope it isn't about electricity... -- Tekkie
No they didn't.
But you knew that.

You need EPA certificate to remove or add freon.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

For new contruction, i.e. a house that is going up, refrigerant tubing is often supplied by the kits builders in a precharged state. Leak tested and ready to go, there is next to nothing needed in the way of additional refrigerant to make the system usable. I got my system replaced and got new refrigerant tubing installed. The contractor used precharged tubing. After market may be prechargted, and often is, but also may come open at the ends needing a leak test and many pounds of refrigerant added.

I haven't seen precharged residential line sets in many, many years.