A/C unit coil

Page 2 of 3
They only last 5-7 years when they were incorrectly installed in the first place. And without seeing the installation, there is no way I can even guess as to what a reasonable cost is.

Sally writes:

The part will cost him about $300.
The labor will likely take less than a full day.
The AC trade considers $1500/day profit reasonable. They whine about how much it costs to run a pickup truck and pay some high-school graduate ... as if you didn't need transportation to get to your $20/hour job.
This is what you get by allowing politicians to license tradesmen and legalize the restraint of trade.
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 04:02:28 -0500, Richard J Kinch

Poor Richard. It sounds like you got fucked real hard by a serviceman because you were too stupid to change your own dirty filter. Life must suck to be you.
Sally, I have seen many many many coils now lasting only 2, 3 , 5 years and then leaking. Sad but true. Ive replaced 3 so far this week. If your system is 30 years old you probably dont know what a leaky coil is. The older ones were made differently. Check out the weight of the older ones versus the new ones and you will understand. Your coil could very well be leaking. It could also be several other things. Electronic leak checking just isnt hard. If you dont like the opinion you got, get another. Now, how about posting that pic of your tits. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

and of the three you've replaced, were they of the cheaper constructed, thinner variety that typically last 2, 3 or 5 years?
besides lining your pockets with cash, are you solving the problem?
replacing leaky coils with other potentially leaky coils isnt the answer, however it does provide us with job security..... :-))
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 13:38:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Okay "fish". I'll bite. YES, the ones Ive replaced are the newer shit. In particular, Lennox, Goodman and Carrier this past week. None newer than 6 yrs old. Am I solving a problem you ask? I am solving the customers problem at present. Can I solve the manufacturers problem of making a coil that last longer? Hell No. I wont even try. I install what's available. I dont make the shit. I just sell and install it. Soooooo, that being said, What are you doing? Manufacturing your own coils? Installing a contrapction that auto feeds refrigerant to a leaky coil? Holding the customers handkerchief while they sob controllably to you? I give, "fish". What magic are you performing that makes your customer happy, makes coils last forever, takes away job security and doesnt line your pocket with cash? Speak Oh wonderous one. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

If they're all cr*p, the cheapest one wins.
The supplier with the cheapest junk wins? Sounds like Made in China rules the game.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Bubba wrote:

bad news dood...you just munched on my shit filled twinkie :-)

your wish is my command
until you've tried it yourself, you dont have a leg to stand on. so dont even try. http://www.cliplight.com/hvacr /
coil changeouts can be problematic, and not huge profit centers way too much labor
drop this stuff in at 1/3-1/2 the cost of a new coil and viola! problem solved, happy campers, and you with serious coin.
you'd crap your pants if i told you how much i charge for this stuff, installed.
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 03:42:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

So what do you charge after you drop a can of this stuff in a system and it clogs up a txv, or flowrater, or cap tube?
Al Moran wrote:

If ya did your homework, you would have discovered the fact that this product solidifies ONLY as it leaks thru an opening and is exposed to AIR. It mixes with refrigerant OIL, and goes wherever that oil goes.
Hell yes, I've seen evap coils with oil-vapor locked feeder tubes, but the addition of a suction P-trap eliminated those situations....
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:45:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

Actually I did do the homework. Took the test. Read all the info (actually a couple weeks ago) and then even found my local supplier has it. They have a box of them there at the counter. Dont believe one can has been sold in a couple weeks yet. To me, it seems as though it acts as a glue when it finds a leak. Something like epoxy or maybe? To me, that isnt a fix for a leak. Copper leaks need to be brazed and Im not brazing a bunch of microscopic formicary corrosion leaks. Im just going to leave it as.......... Im not sold yet. Maybe its a good product but I'll wait till the verdict comes in. I guess I might add one thing further. You say its great. You also imply that anyone installing a new coil knows its going to leak well before its time (I believe that too) BUT, does that mean since you think this stuff works so well that when you do install a new system with a new coil, do you automatically add this stuff to your new installs? Remember, you asked me what I am doing to correct the coil problems so Im now asking you the same thing. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

Bubba, first & foremost, I have the highest respect for you, your trade knowledge and your business ethics & integrity. We both know formicary corrosion is like shit, it happens. It wasnt my intent to attack your business practices, more at being able to offer your coil replacement customers a choice.
Two yrs ago I too was as skeptic as all hell about the product. The local j-stones guy said he couldnt keep the product in stock. I broke down & purchased one can. Awhile later on a svc call 40 miles out in the boonies I had to re-charge a unit I gassed up exactly one yr before, 20 yr old 3 ton pkg hp. carrier aluminum condenser coil. I thought what the hell, I'll give it a try. I've used it 7-8 times now. splits & packages, 2.5 tons to 30+. No callbacks. Cows died.
As for choices, Mrs Smith would you like to try a new coil for $1900 that may or may not leak in the next 2-7 years, or would you like to try this new stop leak product that the manufacturer claims will stop current & future leaks, installed for $799.95? That includes any refrigerant to bring your system up to a factory recommended charge, new pleated filter at the air handler, condenser coil cleaning, and how many more bells & whistles can you list?
Mrs Smith says, well wait a minute Fish, I know you paid $79.95 for that product, and now you want to sell it to me for $799.95???
No Mrs Smith, I am not selling it to you for $799.95. For $799.95 you're getting a permanant solution to your leaky coil, a system recharged to factory specs,all the bells & whistles, plus I'm saving you $1100.05 in the process.
For me Bubba, Mrs Smith doesnt exist. Rarely if ever do I interface with the person paying the bill on svc work. I do the work, send off the invoice for any amount I want, and within net 15 or net 30, the check arrives. if they squawk over pricing, they get billed even more the next time.
You see Bubba, I have ulterior motives in using this product, especially on older systems. My market niche is primarily prop mgmt on commercial bldgs, & we both know how cheap some mgmt can be. Instead of replacing those old dogs with 10 seer units, hahaha, guess what? Now they have to buy 13 seer. Moooooo
would I install the product on a new install? probably not. a new install that leaked and I could trace the leak to the evap? you bet, in a heartbeat.
On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 02:45:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

And as for you Fish........"Im good". No problems with you at all. Steam that got vented and water under the bridge. As you know, my twinkie gets overfilled with shit and its gotta come out somewhere. You were the lucky catcher. :-) Yes the price you charge seems very high but then on the other hand it doesnt. AFter all, Ballplayers getting paid millions of dollars, BP making 76 Billion in profits and our Federal goverment spending Trillions that they dont have. All the while we are all sitting around paying $3 a gallon for gas. Whats right and whats wrong? The can of stop leak is interesting to say the least. Like anything else, it just has to be marketed and sold properly. Id certainly be interested in a longer (5-7yr) study on how well it holds up. It'll keep me thinking.............. Bubba
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 03:42:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

So you're pumping "smoke and mirror" crap into a system and charging $600 for a can that cost you $40. You've just proved yourself the worst of all theives. I'll stick with replacing the coils. You can stick with looking over your shoulder for that one customer that catches on to what you're doing and chases you down with a gun. Have a nice life, fish. Bubba
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 03:42:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@gonefishin.net wrote:

and further more fish, I just gotta ask................... What does your customer say when you show them that little can and tell them you are going to charge them $400 - $600 to install it in 5 mins? What? You dont show them the can? What? You make up some story about what you are going to do that will cost half the price of a new coil and work just as well? Shame on you fish. I'll bet you have those old folks lined up waiting for you to come over and fuck em hard! Nothing wrong with it if you are explaining that it is new/newer and there isnt any long term studies on it yet and you are charging a reasonable price but I dont think you are doing any of that. Okay, Im done. I could go on forever but you live in your little world and I'll stay in mine. I like to sleep well at night. Bubba

LOL..suggest you try it again..maybe 3 years ago it did.

aka-SBM writes:

And what's happened in the last three years?

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/copper_historical.html
Notice the 5 year chart.
--
SVL

PrecisionMachinisT writes:

Oh yeah, I heard about that.
And to think we discarded these things as not having enough scrap value a few years ago.

And today, we are replacing stolen units on a freakin daily basis.