A/C smell

I have a portable split A/C. After running A/C for about 3 hours I can feel a nasty smell of cool air coming out of it. The filter is clean. Is it normal (due to dry air) or should I have A/C serviced? What can be the damage? When the cool air reaches the middle of the room and mixes with the rest of warm air, the smell is not so nasty.
m wrote:

Likely the coils or some parts of the system near them have a mold problem and need to be cleaned. You may be able to get by by spraying some Lysol or like product in the air intake. Note: some products can interact with the A/C parts and can damage them. I am not even sure Lysol is safe for all equipment.
I have no idea how difficult it may be to access that area, but that would be the best approach and do a though cleaning and disinfecting using products suitable for A/C work.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

So it was mold on coils. You were right! The fluid used to the cleaning was all green afterwards.

It took a serviceman 15 minutes to get the device open.
but that

Right! Thanks!

Does this come out of all ducts?
The last month of the heating season, for the first time, I had a strange, probably nasty smell coming out of my heating duct but only in my office/bedroom. I went to two other ducts while the furnace was running and couldn't smell it.
Even in the office, it was only when the heat was blowing. The smell dissipated quickly. Maybe it's not the same as yours.
mm wrote:

We do not have ducts distributing cold air because there is only one room that needs cooling, but the problem is solved after cleaning the coils.

Well that my be my problem too. Thanks. Probably won't use the AC until July or August, or the heat until October. I'll find out then.
You may have mold in one duct but I have not got a clue how one cleans ducts. For the time being you can try and block one duck that smells bad and still use A/C. We already had temperatures 30 to 32 C this May in Europe.

We've had that here too a few days ago. I just use fans.
BTW, are we cousins? My father told me I had a shorter cousin.