A/C Replacement: Puron or Freon? (R-410a or R-22)?

Page 2 of 2

8 years is rushing it???

I understand if you're scared or intimidated but as I've pointed out here, the same argument was used when R-22 was introduced. It didn't hold water then and doesn't now either.
POE? Been using it for years in refrigeration, I don't know about brilliant but I assure you that if you don't use good workmanship when opening a system you'll say it sucks.

Nah, only if you're scared of something different - change would be another word for it. It's no surprise that this industry is like the rest of the human race and doesn't like change but with a little education on how different R410a is NOT maybe we can clear up these misunderstandings. I don't know that I'm 100% that 410a is the absolute replacement for 22 but it seems so at this point and equipment is performing well with 410a. I'll reserve final judgement myself on it until the industry settles down but until then we'll use what we have.
- Robert
Haha I do not recall saying I was, "scared or intimidated ", by R410.
More comments inserted below.

IMO, Puron was a marketing decision. If you disagree thats OK by me.

I never heard anyone complain that R22 used POE.

brilliant
So we agree then. As we both know good workmanship is not the norm so we can expect POE to be a problem. Gald we cleared that up (-:

another
it
You are correct systems are performing just fine with R410. And the pressure debate is muted by proper design.
You are also correct refer techs will get this right. That's a given but NOT applicable to R410 use.
There is no way I believe you believe the average RESIDENTIAL tech out there gives one hoot about proper method. It's a gas-n-go world.
Amway's your biggest argument seems to be saying it scares me, I'm not trained, I don't understand basic refrigeration, etc. I'm not sure attacking me makes R410 a good thing .
In closing, R410 sucks (-:

I do disagree, and it's fine with me if you disagree with that. :-)

here,
water
OK, as you can see - this response was to the lose an eye comment, the POE comment is below. The complaints were that R22 was running so high pressures the jugs were going to explode and it might put someone's eye out..........

Yep, I'll be glad when the hacks can't afford insurance to cover their screw ups and the trade benefits from the resulting better quality of technician.

the
but
pressure
there
Then let the industry change. Maybe it will increase the wages for technicians and improve the quality of work provided to homeowners if we get rid of the ignorant techs. I believe that the average RESIDENTIAL tech should give a hoot about proper methods and if the owner of the company sends the slacker out to do a job, he should be strung up as well.

Attacking? I haven't attacked anyone. I debated your comments on R-410a. I simply stated that the tone of your post was that the pressures related to 410 were dangerous, i.e. "someone's going to lose an eye" and that that interpretation was fallible.

I understand the humor you scatter throughout your reply but I must say that the overall message seems to be that R-410 won't work because the industry is riddled with poor workmanship and complacent technicians. I say that the substandard work can stop and the industry can move forward. I'm not sure saying the industry is unable to grasp the concept makes R410 a bad thing, doesn't it sound like possibly the industry is the bad thing and needs a bit of housekeeping?
- Robert

haha yeah the "lose an eye" was meant as a joke as is common. I should use more smileys (-:
Yes thats it. I have 0 faith in my fellow tech. I think it will get worse and never get better.
South Florida is bad and most all techs are the gas-n-go types. No one wants to turn down work so owners hire as best they can. Its fubar for sure. The labor pool has been drained and refilled with whats available.
oh yeah 410 sucks (-:

use
worse
Maybe we should start a movement to pull the plug on it and refill it with what's needed. :-D

- Robert

[original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth] On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:14:24 GMT, "American Mechanical"

When they design the systems for flushing oil as MVAC units are, POE is no big deal. The best workmanship in the world won't help POE in a system that leaked out do to some failure and has had time to absorb moisture.
The MVAC industry addressed this a long time ago.
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

brilliant
Refrigeration is what I was speaking of, not MVAC.
- Robert

[original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth] On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:26:23 GMT, "American Mechanical"

So was I! I'll add a few words to my first sentence to clarify.
When they design sealed compressor systems as used in refrigeration and HVAC for flushing like MVAC systems are designed...
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

Make your decision based on the quality of the installation as well as your personal preference. At this point, the system you install today will not see over priced repairs due to R-22. It will be at replacement age before anyone has to worry about it. I'm neither for or against 410a, it's a personal preference choice.
- Robert
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net (Drew Farris) wrote in message

There are strong arguments to be made either way.
410: 1. Because of the investment in training and equipment required, and the relative difficulty working with it, you're less likely to deal with hacks. 2. Manufacturers focus R&D on 410 because 22 is obsolescent. For instance, all Lennox two-speed equipment is 410. 3. The compressors are supposedly more robust at present -- they're overbuilt. The mfrs also may provide longer warranties on 410 equipment.
22: 1. It works! 2. Everything's cheaper at the moment. 3. Easy replacement in your case.
Anyhow, suggest you rephrase your question and ask at HVAC-talk.com. You can't ask pricing questions, and leave the 410 v. 22 out of it. Just post the model numbers the dealers are proposing and ask what they think.
Also, since you're an early adopter, you might want to break out your money shovel and invest in Carrier's Infinity system or its Bryant equivalent.

This is Turtle.
I do this type of business for a living and have watched a lot of shinning star new freons come and go. I watched R-12 , R-500 , R-134-A , come and go and still see R-22 still the norm. Now I'm seeing R-410-A or AZ-20 coming for A/C units. I have been tricked too may times to jump on the band wagon just yet. In another 4 or 5 years when it is truely decided to be the norm. i will join the band wagon to go with it. For now R-22 is a winner but in the near future R-410-A or AZ-20 may be the norm.
Have you concidered using AZ-20 in stead of R-410-A ?
TURTLE