A/C recycle refrigerant

did you watch them ? what did they do , did they vent it ?

bill wrote:

after 23 years service. I was told they would capture the0refrigerant from the old system. They didnt. Is this normal3practice? is it too costly? or what? does the State turn a blind0eye? bill

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

I had my 2.5T Sears a/c system (condenser, evap coil and lines) replaced after 23 years service. I was told they would capture the refrigerant from the old system. They didnt. Is this normal practice? is it too costly? or what? does the State turn a blind eye? bill

Reply to
bill

If they vented it you should call the EPA and report it.

Reply to
Noozer

They going to come and recapture it??? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

The EPA is in charge of this, not the State, but if you thought that they would capture and reuse the refrigerant, you are mistaken as this is not the way things are done. Often the old refrigerant is contaminated with a variety of things, so it will not be used to charge a new system. The new condenser is often pre-charged at the factory, but might require some additional refrigerant, from a fresh bottle.

As others have said, venting it would be a huge no-no.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

No. They take away the guys license and fine his employer.

Reply to
Noozer

Miss the :) ?

--

Reply to
dpb

It's possible to capture refrigerant into the compressor by running the system while shutting the king valve, and then disconnect and cart away the whole lot. Did they perhaps do that?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Call the EPA and ask them.

Reply to
<kjpro

Nope. first thing they shut off the electric. They had some manifold gages sitting next to the condenser. no other equipment. next thing i saw was the suction and HP lines were cut. No valves are on the condenser to capture the gas. It was R22. New system uses R410a

Reply to
bill

You know what a king valve is and would recognize it?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Shame on them!!!!! Unfortunately, that&#39;s one way the hacks cut corners to cut costs. :-(

Reply to
<kjpro

Doesn&#39;t matter if they cut the power FIRST.

Reply to
<kjpro

Not reclaiming the refrigerant is against the EPA Section 608 law. To bad you didn&#39;t have a video. A small Honda 2000 EX [Generator] will run a recovery machine nicely. [We do if it&#39;s needed.] I realize this is all water under the bridge, but I think you&#39;re dealing with a contractor / HVAC company who doens&#39;t care about the environment or the laws. I wonder what else they don&#39;t care about?

Reply to
Zyp

Reply to
bill

If it had self piecing connections (made by Areoquip) it doesn&#39;t have king valves.

Reply to
<kjpro

Normally, nothing but their pocket book.

Reply to
<kjpro

Bill said the first thing they did, they shut off the electric. If I was doing a pump down, I&#39;d leave the electric 220 volts on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon (on backup com