A/C recycle refrigerant

I had my 2.5T Sears a/c system (condenser, evap coil and lines) replaced after 23 years service. I was told they would capture the refrigerant from the old system. They didnt. Is this normal practice? is it too costly? or what? does the State turn a blind eye? bill
did you watch them ? what did they do , did they vent it ?

after 23 years service. I was told they would capture the0refrigerant from the old system. They didnt. Is this normal3practice? is it too costly? or what? does the State turn a blind0eye? bill

If they vented it you should call the EPA and report it.
Noozer wrote:

They going to come and recapture it??? :)

No. They take away the guys license and fine his employer.
Noozer wrote:

Miss the :) ?

The EPA is in charge of this, not the State, but if you thought that they would capture and reuse the refrigerant, you are mistaken as this is not the way things are done. Often the old refrigerant is contaminated with a variety of things, so it will not be used to charge a new system. The new condenser is often pre-charged at the factory, but might require some additional refrigerant, from a fresh bottle.
As others have said, venting it would be a huge no-no.
JK
bill writes:

It's possible to capture refrigerant into the compressor by running the system while shutting the king valve, and then disconnect and cart away the whole lot. Did they perhaps do that?
Nope. first thing they shut off the electric. They had some manifold gages sitting next to the condenser. no other equipment. next thing i saw was the suction and HP lines were cut. No valves are on the condenser to capture the gas. It was R22. New system uses R410a
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 19:55:00 -0500, Richard J Kinch

bill writes:

You know what a king valve is and would recognize it?

Doesn't matter if they cut the power FIRST.
on the new unit it came with 2 valves which they opened after they pulled a vaccum on the lines and evap coil. the old unit was precharged also but it had no valves. the precharged line set pierced the fitting when screwed together. so a king valve was not on the old unit? what does this king valve look like?
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:14:41 -0500, Richard J Kinch

If it had self piecing connections (made by Areoquip) it doesn't have king valves.
Bill said the first thing they did, they shut off the electric. If I was doing a pump down, I'd leave the electric 220 volts on.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Richard J Kinch" < snipped-for-privacy@truetex.com> wrote in message

Shame on them!!!!! Unfortunately, that's one way the hacks cut corners to cut costs. :-(
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Not reclaiming the refrigerant is against the EPA Section 608 law. To bad you didn't have a video. A small Honda 2000 EX [Generator] will run a recovery machine nicely. [We do if it's needed.] I realize this is all water under the bridge, but I think you're dealing with a contractor / HVAC company who doens't care about the environment or the laws. I wonder what else they don't care about?
--
Zyp

HVAC
Normally, nothing but their pocket book.

Call the EPA and ask them.