A/C problem

My interpretation of that was the click was the *thermostat* relay closing. She didn't say she was outside to hear the contactor.

I agree, that's a possibility.

Reply to
trader_4

delay in starting the indoor air circulating fan and the outside compressor and cooling fan, I don't remember now how long. If I go from off to heat for a couple of seconds and then quickly go thru off to cool, the compressor and fan and indoor air circulating fan all start up immediately. I have been doing this for years, that's why I don't know how long the delay is when going directly to cool mode, but it hasn't seemed to have harmed anything.

Try this -- about 2pm tomorrow, turn on the heat, then walk over and stand in front of the fan. Let us know how it works out.

Reply to
Guv Bob

That delay is to protect your compressor from trying to start too soon after it has been running (to allow the pressure to relieve so it isn't trying to start against too large a load). Bypassing it can burn out a compressor. Want to know how I know? I was told by the guy who replaced my compressor.

Reply to
cjt

A/C compressors generally don't have an unloader valve like an air compressor - and a short power interruption can even give some compressors a problem. That's why bigger ones use magnetic starters

Reply to
clare

I only pull the immediate heat to cool trick when starting up the AC for the first time, I'm fully aware of the need to delay to allow the system pressure to equalize.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I guess the confusing part is that every thermostat I've owned, the only time there was a delay in turning on the compressor is if the compressor had shut off within the last 5 or 10 mins. Then it delays to give the system pressure time to equalize. Otherwise, whether you go from off, or heat or just lower the thermostat, the compressor starts up right away.

Reply to
trader_4
[snip]

I now have an electronic thermostat (which enforces the delay), powered by the indoor unit. When I open the cover to clean the filter, the 24VAC is cut off. No matter how long it takes to clean the filter, there will be a A/C start up delay.

BTW, It's actually cooler outside right now (66F). I have the A/C off and back door open. That's unusual for summer in east Texas (where September IS a summer month).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Great, isn't it? I'm in Austin, and I'm blowing outside air through the house for the first time in months.

Reply to
cjt

Where is Al Gore when we need some global warming?

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There's plenty of global warming going on -- way too much, in fact.

Reply to
cjt

Here, todays high temperature was 72.

Reply to