A/C problem

Page 2 of 2
On 8/27/14, 3:09 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Switching the thermostat off could account for the two-minute delay while the display flashed. The subsequent click shows that the compressor was getting the "start" signal.
My guess that it was a bad contactor was ignorant. It's usually the capacitor. They can lose capacitance over the years. If the compressor starts sometimes but not others, the capacitance is probably marginal.
Replacing a capacitor seems like a DIY job. Buy the right size and switch off the breaker.
On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 5:52:23 PM UTC-4, J Burns wrote:

My interpretation of that was the click was the *thermostat* relay closing. She didn't say she was outside to hear the contactor.

I agree, that's a possibility.

delay in starting the indoor air circulating fan and the outside compressor and cooling fan, I don't remember now how long. If I go from off to heat for a couple of seconds and then quickly go thru off to cool, the compressor and fan and indoor air circulating fan all start up immediately. I have been doing this for years, that's why I don't know how long the delay is when going directly to cool mode, but it hasn't seemed to have harmed anything.
Try this -- about 2pm tomorrow, turn on the heat, then walk over and stand in front of the fan. Let us know how it works out.

A/C compressors generally don't have an unloader valve like an air compressor - and a short power interruption can even give some compressors a problem. That's why bigger ones use magnetic starters
I only pull the immediate heat to cool trick when starting up the AC for the first time, I'm fully aware of the need to delay to allow the system pressure to equalize.
On Friday, September 12, 2014 6:08:15 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I guess the confusing part is that every thermostat I've owned, the only time there was a delay in turning on the compressor is if the compressor had shut off within the last 5 or 10 mins. Then it delays to give the system pressure time to equalize. Otherwise, whether you go from off, or heat or just lower the thermostat, the compressor starts up right away.
On 09/12/2014 06:43 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[snip]

I now have an electronic thermostat (which enforces the delay), powered by the indoor unit. When I open the cover to clean the filter, the 24VAC is cut off. No matter how long it takes to clean the filter, there will be a A/C start up delay.
BTW, It's actually cooler outside right now (66F). I have the A/C off and back door open. That's unusual for summer in east Texas (where September IS a summer month).
--
103 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On 09/13/2014 10:15 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Great, isn't it? I'm in Austin, and I'm blowing outside air through the house for the first time in months.
On 9/13/2014 12:53 PM, cjt wrote:

Where is Al Gore when we need some global warming?
On 09/13/2014 01:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There's plenty of global warming going on -- way too much, in fact.
On 09/13/2014 11:53 AM, cjt wrote:

Here, todays high temperature was 72.