A/C Outside Fan Not Running

Hi,

I have an air conditioner that has an inside unit and an outside unit. When I turn on the air conditioning the attic fans blow but it only blows warmish air. I know that this is most likely because of a blown fuse or a breaker.

Where would I find the fuses and how can I replace them?

Thanks!

-Keegan

Reply to
Keegan

There should be a circuit breaker in the AC panel for the outside compressor unit. If it's not marked, it should be easy to spot, typically 40 amp, 240V double breaker. There may also be another fuse located in a weatherproof box outside near the unit.

Reply to
trader4

If the outside fan isn't running, the compressor may be running and getting ready to burn out. I'd suggest to call a HVAC repair company.

What you know (blown fuse or breaker) might be correct. But I can think of several other things that could be wrong.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd be highly suspicious of the starting capacitor.

Reply to
scott21230

When its on, I don't hear any noise compressor or otherwise.

Reply to
Keegan

Cheers, Joe

Reply to
Joe

That's what went wrong on mine. When that happened, the outside fan world run (indicating it's not the breaker, this unit is wired foe

240V only - no neutral) but the compressor would not.

BTW, it's a good idea to learn to recognize the different sounds. The compressor will make a deeper sound.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Is the thermostat requesting cooling? If so, it could be the relay in the unit, but check the fuse or breaker first.

BTW, in my case it's a double-pole breaker in a box outside next to the unit.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

All things being said, if the breakers aren't tripped, you should call a qualified HVAC repair person to find the problem. It can range from something as simple as a low voltage problem [rat in attic cut control line for example] to something serious [like a burned high voltage connection on the contactor.] And, if the unit needs any cleaning, refrigerant charge adjustment, or oil, he could do it then.

Reply to
Zephyr

Should be a disconnect box near the outside unit mounted on the wall. Be advised there are lethal voltages present. Also, compressor units only blow fuses if there is something else wrong. Call a qualified tech.

Reply to
Meat Plow

We have a Trane AC and the condenser fan did not run for a while one day. Then it started running again. I think it was the first hot day last year.

I had a technician come out and he said that there was nothing wrong with the unit. He said that the only service I should do is to clean the coils with a stream from the garden hose.

Should I be oiling the fan on my unit? If so, how do I do it? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Reply to
Daniel Prince

No, because like most motors of this type and era, they are sealed and not designed to need or accept oil. If they were meant to be oiled, the tech would have done it.

Reply to
trader4

The fan did not run at all on a hot day? Some upper end units have fan cycle switches that do not allow the fan "outside" to come on until the pressure in the system gets high enough. This is a more efficient setup. Soem fans come on as soon as the compressor starts "most are this way"

turn the breaker off first and look inside the coil as well. If you have a double row coil, it will need split and cleaned by a profesional eventually. Not "Joe Bobs service"

If the fan motor has a little cap on the side of the bearing housing "end plates" then they are to be removed once a year and about 3-5 drops of oil inserted with a Zoom spout oiler. "It's very light oil" maybe 20 weight. like 3N1 oil.

At the beginiing of the cooling season maybe turn the breaker off and take a long then screwdriver and insert it through the fand guard and give the blade a spin. you would be amazed. If the fan turns easily and makes no noise your bearing are probably good. There can be other reasons for failure. Faulty Capaciter, open winding in motor, Shorted wires/windings. Service techs can truely earn the money you pay them....

Yea, Every tech will do everything perfect. Especially on a Friday after putting in 12 yours and no lunch break. :) I have had bad days... also

Reply to
Luca

Not a question of doing "everything" perfect. The service call was specifically for a fan not turning. You'd have to be either totally incompetent or a cheat to not oil a fan that was meant to be oiled under those circumstances.

Have you actually seen a residential AC compressor unit in the last couple of decades meant to be oiled once a year? I haven't.

Reply to
trader4