A/C opinions?

Page 2 of 2

Must be as most homeowners NEVER clean them!!!
"kjpro "@ usenet.com wrote:

That's a function of our failing schools that aren't teaching any "life" skills. Same reason people don't know how to calculate the mileage their yuppmobiles get.

I don't think that will be an issue in this case; I drive a Porsche so I am certainly familiar with regular DIY maintenance. Way, WAY too familiar.
nate
(wondering when a used S2000 will become affordable...)

Just because you drive a Porsche doesn't mean you are going to clean your home electronic air filter. <rolleyes>
in my rental units, i have to say the trane is the most trouble free overall. with rheem in second. the goodman and others had electrical component failures after a couple years. this leads me to belive trane used better electrical components and seem go 20 years without problems overall. the size of your ductwork has alot to do with how well a system will work, to small and youll never get the full efficiency of the unit. for example,my rentals had too small return ducts , sizing them up correctly made a huge difference.keeping the outside and inside units clean is also a must for keeping the system working at peak and long life. i dont have electronic filters,but if you have allergies they are worth it, but must be kept clean also . lucas

One needs to realize the above information comes from someone without training. It's pure 100% opinion from a landlord. So take it for what it's worth, nothing. Nice going, webtv boy.
Don't use a/c. Just let the sweat pour out.

to at least a 15 SEER and take the tax credit to help pay the difference, along with the additional operating savings.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_tax_credits
I replaced with a Trane and it has been great, however I chose the installer rather than the brand.
Frank

get one that cools.

I've always bought the cheapest I can get. Not that I buy very many but I've put a few on rental houses over the years. Even the cheapest have lasted at least 20 years here in Phoenix. I have one house with a Carrier unit that the original builder installed on it back in 1971. Most recently, a couple months ago, I got estimates for a new unit for another house. The Goodman (and installer) were about half the price of the Trane (from a different installer). Looking at the Goodman I didn't see any obvious difference between it and an other unit I've ever eyeballed. And it used a Copeland scroll compressor which I've heard is a very good compressor.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

I sold different Brands & did service work on all Brands. I always look past the looks.
That is my point, the new Goodman units with the Copeland Scroll compressor coupled with a TXV metering device is a lot of AC for that initial investment with a great warranty. Coupled with a first rate install it will transfer heat from your home with the best on the market. I also prefer R-22 refrigerant systems, I believe, in a few years, new refrigerants will be developed.
If you want PayBack, ultra high SEER is overrated! http://www.udarrell.com/airconditioning_eer_ratings_over_seer_ratings_central_systems.html
DISCLAIMER: I assume NO responsibility for the USE of any information I post on any of my Web pages, in E-Mails or News Groups. All HVAC/R work should always be done by a licensed Contractor & properly licensed Techs! This information is only placed on these pages primarily for your understanding & communication with contractors & techs. This information is also for the edification of Contractors and Techs. Never attempt anything that you are NOT competent to do in a SAFE manner! I am NOT liable for your screw-ups, you are liable for what you do! - udarrell