A/C lines freeze up b/c no air is circulating

I think that would be a reasonable starting point.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Basic training for HVAC: Line up the enemy in your sights, and wash him down the drain. It's him or you, recruit! Have no mercy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In my case, the fins clogged up so badly that no air circulation was possible and it did in fact trigger something that shut down the whole unit. It took the AC tech several hours to get the ice out of the unit and dried out so that the fins could be cleaned. The drain had also frozen closed so water could have gone anywhere until the unit completely froze solid.

This was before the "computer age" in furnaces so if it had happened with a computer controlled furnace, who knows what kind of error codes would have been generated.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

"Worn Out Retread" wrote

Your neighbor dialed "911", because the flames from your house were starting to melt the vinyl siding off of his house?

Reply to
Lefty

You are the lucky winner. It was a bad circuit board. The HVAC guy took the old one off the mount and we could see a burnt spot on the bottom of it so we're guessing a drop of water got on it and fried it. 2 of the traces were melted together basically. That was yesterday. Installed the new board today and it works fine.

Reply to
Brandon McCombs

Umm, thats all well and good but what have you done to keep it from happening again? It wasnt coincidence that the water got there. It WILL get there again. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I once had to replace a lot of components on a furnace/AC control board whose traces had corroded from frequent wetting. I saw no evidence of arcing.

What would happen if a motor capacitor had lost most of its capacitance? Could that cause arcing between traces when the relay opened? Could the burnt track from arcing eventually conduct well enough to fuse the traces? Especially if it got wet?

Reply to
E Z Peaces

Thank you for letting us know.

Reply to