A/C installation -- Refrigerant pressure gauge

We are going to have A/C installed. I am thinkig that maybe I should ask our HVAC company to install a pressure gauge in the refrigerant system, would it be beneficial in the long run? Is that ever done?

Why? Do you know what you'll be looking at? I'd make sure the unit has high and low pressure switches.
Your pressure gauge would only be another place for a potential leak.

I agree on the pressure switches.

Are there any well made ones?

Well made leaks? Or well made gauges?

Are there any well made gauges?

has
A gauge is a gauge. I like my particular brand and some one else won't.
I still don't see the reason you're asking all this...

Simple. He thinks he can monitor a gauge and now if his system is operating properly. Sort of like a check on the air pressure in your tires.
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 13:53:42 GMT, Ignoramus29895

IMHO,
Just sounds like something else to break, and leak. Not worth the cost to install, any gauge able to be accurate under harsh outdoor conditions, cycling pressures could be expensive, and why?
I mean, it the AC works, you know. If it doesn't reguardless of what the gage reads, you need a technician to look at it. He will not use the istalled one, he'll use his calibrated manifold instead.
So, save your money.
later,
tom @ www.BlankHelp.com
I don't see any reason to install a gauge. As others have said it is of questionable value.
You may be interested in a sight gauge. It is a glass "window" in the line. If you are seeing bubbles, it is time to call a technician. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net
message

Well.....
If your system has a TXV, you may see bubbles and the refrigerant charge be perfect.